Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport, 2021 Pilot EX
12 Posts
I thought it was just me. My wife says she can't really hear it. As noted in these posts, it's only certain tracks that do it. I am using Apple Music via Bluetooth on an Android phone, and some of it is intolerable due to the clipping and muffling sound changes. Cutting down the bass and subwoofer help a bit, but then it sounds like crap. I intend to play the same track through the Android Auto USB cable without Bluetooth and see what happens. In this case, my best example is "Anchors for Airplanes- After the Fall." I also thought of just putting the track on a USB stick to see what it sounds like that way, but dumping my whole library to USB defeats the convenience of Apple Music. We bought a 2021 Pilot EX the same week we bought the Ridgeline, so I might go see what her car does with the same track from the same phone to rule out improperly wired speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought it was just me. My wife says she can't really hear it. As noted in these posts, it's only certain tracks that do it. I am using Apple Music via Bluetooth on an Android phone, and some of it is intolerable due to the clipping and muffling sound changes. Cutting down the bass and subwoofer help a bit, but then it sounds like crap. I intend to play the same track through the Android Auto USB cable without Bluetooth and see what happens. In this case, my best example is "Anchors for Airplanes- After the Fall." I also thought of just putting the track on a USB stick to see what it sounds like that way, but dumping my whole library to USB defeats the convenience of Apple Music. We bought a 2021 Pilot EX the same week we bought the Ridgeline, so I might go see what her car does with the same track from the same phone to rule out improperly wired speakers.
Update: I didn't try the test in the Pilot yet, but I did try a few things in the Ridgeline. Using the same "Anchors for Airplanes" track, I connected via the cable for Android Auto. Still sounded the same, with bass parts clipping the sound and muffling the highs. I tried several settings in Apple Music related to the equalizer and Dolby, but no better. You can cut out all the lows with the EQ and it doesn't clip, but sounds like a cheap desktop radio. Finally, I tried the very same track from YouTube via the Android Auto cable. It sounded just fine. I am guessing Apple Music doesn't normalize the music, or they use some sort of compression/decompression to save data, but becomes obvious in certain music. That's a shame, since I thought I could keep my library with me with Apple Music. Next question; does the USB inside the center console connect to the system, or is it just for charging? I might be able to put everything on a USB stick, but then I lose Android Auto port if the system can't read both.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth; I took my 01 Sport in for the first service today. This issue was one of my complaints, aside from some screws falling out from under the dash and fog lights that never worked. The service guy (Reno Honda) says they are aware of the issue, and that there is not yet a fix for it. His take is that it will probably be a software fix that will be several more months out. I leased my truck, so if it goes out too long, I will not buy it out for this reason alone. For now, I'll just listen to NPR and a few select music files that play right. The falling screws and fog light issue unfortunately confirm my lack of trust in American assembly. I hope they are putting more quality control into their aircraft :oops:.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what it's worth; I took my 01 Sport in for the first service today. This issue was one of my complaints, aside from some screws falling out from under the dash and fog lights that never worked. The service guy (Reno Honda) says they are aware of the issue, and that there is not yet a fix for it. His take is that it will probably be a software fix that will be several more months out. I leased my truck, so if it goes out too long, I will not buy it out for this reason alone. For now, I'll just listen to NPR and a few select music files that play right. The falling screws and fog light issue unfortunately confirm my lack of trust in American assembly. I hope they are putting more quality control into their aircraft :oops:.
21, not 01

·
Registered
12 Posts
A couple other owners reported this on here and found a missing fuse. Here's one example.
Exactly what it was. But, when I installed my brake controller with the harness and fuse provided with the truck, there was already a fuse in place for that. I think that's when it went wrong. Even as an electrician, I figured they should fix it instead of spending my time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts