Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
261 - 280 of 310 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,028 Posts
-3 for the bass is also the setting I use and after upgrading the front speakers to Focal ICU 165, I can now say that I’m finally satisfied with the sound my ’21 Sport provides.
I hope Crutchfield upped the inventory on those speakers. We all know what the "ROC" effect can have on suppliers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2021 RL (EX-L) a week ago. I'm experiencing the same volume sweeps on beat that everyone's talking about. I am thinking it's because the speakers must be 2 ohms, and the cheap stock amplifier can't handle the load. The volume phasing is greatly reduced when the subwoofer and bass levels are decreased.

Has anyone tried swapping out all of the speakers for a 4 ohm equivalents? I'd consider taking the hit in volume for the sake of letting the amp relax a bit.

A second test (or maybe this one should be the first), is swapping out just the subwoofer for a 4 ohm sub. This may be just enough for the amp to handle.

Has anyone tried either of these?

It has been years since I was into car audio, but does anyone know what effect a line output converter would have on the amp? Since there's no speakers, and very little wattage/current, is this a very easy load on the amp? If so, I would predict that the amp wouldn't need to protect itself so much. I really don't know if this problem is a result of protection, or power limits, or just something stupid written into the dsp.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I just bought a 2021 RL (EX-L) a week ago. I'm experiencing the same volume sweeps on beat that everyone's talking about. I am thinking it's because the speakers must be 2 ohms, and the cheap stock amplifier can't handle the load. The volume phasing is greatly reduced when the subwoofer and bass levels are decreased.

Has anyone tried swapping out all of the speakers for a 4 ohm equivalents? I'd consider taking the hit in volume for the sake of letting the amp relax a bit.

A second test (or maybe this one should be the first), is swapping out just the subwoofer for a 4 ohm sub. This may be just enough for the amp to handle.

Has anyone tried either of these?

It has been years since I was into car audio, but does anyone know what effect a line output converter would have on the amp? Since there's no speakers, and very little wattage/current, is this a very easy load on the amp? If so, I would predict that the amp wouldn't need to protect itself so much. I really don't know if this problem is a result of protection, or power limits, or just something stupid written into the dsp.
After all the testing with my RTL system, I'm confident that the issue has nothing to do with loading the stock amp. The issue only happens at lower volumes, once u bring up the volume the issue goes away. Bring down the bass to around -3 and leave the subwoofer to how ever high you want and you'll see the problem practically goes away. It's a DSP issue. I've gotten around this issue by upgrading to a seperate DSP and leaving the stock tone setting to -3 on bass, 0 treble and 0 subwoofer. All tone/EQ settings are done on the new DSP (jbl DSP4086) and i no longer have these issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I ear the problem. Besides, I have found that when the bass and / or treble are raised, the problem is even more noticeable. The situation occurs when I listen via wired Apple CarPlay.

Here is an example where this is obvious:
NEFEX - Rumors
At 0:13, when the kick goes in, the guitar drop down significantly. If you listen this song anywhere else, the guitar stays at the same level.

Or here, MUSE - Dead Inside
Along with the kick at the beginning of the song, I hear some waves in the frequencies.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles? I have an appointment at the dealership next week to install my roof rails and I'll definitely tell them about it. But I was wondering if I'm the only one hearing this.

Thanks
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I ear the problem. Besides, I have found that when the bass and / or treble are raised, the problem is even more noticeable. The situation occurs when I listen via wired Apple CarPlay.

Here is an example where this is obvious:
NEFEX - Rumors
At 0:13, when the kick goes in, the guitar drop down significantly. If you listen this song anywhere else, the guitar stays at the same level.

Or here, MUSE - Dead Inside
Along with the kick at the beginning of the song, I hear some waves in the frequencies.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles? I have an appointment at the dealership next week to install my roof rails and I'll definitely tell them about it. But I was wondering if I'm the only one hearing this.

Thanks
my 2021 RL sport does this as well. Doesn’t matter what input I use. The lower the volume the worse it seems. I would describe it as the volume pulsing or as you stated certain acoustic elements of a song muting others.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,028 Posts
This thread has completely ground to a halt. Is everyone satisfied with the sound system on their 2021 RTL and Sport trim levels, or are they just putting up with it? To be honest I have no complaints, but I only listen to it on radio and XM. So much for a Honda update.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am still very frustrated with my stereo and have taken to providing recordings to the dealership and am waiting for them to give me next steps. My concern is that the dealership can do very little besides run it up the chain until Corporate determines enough people have complained to do something about it. The evidence is abundant but now they need lots of complaints I suppose until they deem it worthy of a bulletin. I know many others here are doing the same with their local dealers. Others are making upgrades or fiddling with amplifiers to see if they can make it better.

Ultimately I like my truck and am not so upset with the stereo that I would consider returning or selling it. I’m just going to try to enjoy it while I continue to be a thorn in Honda’s side until they address this unfortunate quality issue.

·
Registered
‘21 RTL - MSM
58 Posts
This thread has completely ground to a halt. Is everyone satisfied with the sound system on their 2021 RTL and Sport trim levels, or are they just putting up with it? To be honest I have no complaints, but I only listen to it on radio and XM. So much for a Honda update.
I plan on raising the issue when I bring the truck in for its 1st service. I don’t expect much but at a minimum the complaint should get registered.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i've come up with my fix, so I kind have forgotten about the issue. At this point i dont plan on ever mentioning it to the dealer again unless there's a official fix as i don't need them blaming my aftermarket dsp/amp

·
Registered
2020 BE
25 Posts
I have a 2020 BE. Definitely was getting the issue with sound fading in and out - Coldplay / Switchfoot (alt rock) were the clearest examples for me.

I used the solution below and set Bass to -4. From initial testing it appears to have solved the issue. I even cranked the Sub pretty high and (gasp) turned on SVC.

Playing via CarPlay, iOS 14.6, iPhone 12 Mini. Thanks for all the efforts to find a solution!!

After all the testing with my RTL system, I'm confident that the issue has nothing to do with loading the stock amp. The issue only happens at lower volumes, once u bring up the volume the issue goes away. Bring down the bass to around -3 and leave the subwoofer to how ever high you want and you'll see the problem practically goes away. It's a DSP issue. I've gotten around this issue by upgrading to a seperate DSP and leaving the stock tone setting to -3 on bass, 0 treble and 0 subwoofer. All tone/EQ settings are done on the new DSP (jbl DSP4086) and i no longer have these issues.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
15 Posts
Is anyone having this issue on an RTL-E or Black Edition? I’ve run several phase tests on my RTL-E and I can’t replicate the problems (described in this thread) folks are reporting on Sports and RTL’s.

Just curious if I just got lucky or if the higher trims are immune.
I can verify that my 2017 BE does have this issue when I play MP3s from a flash drive. Most prominent with bass happy bands such as Linkin Park. Very annoying and disappointing. I have a new 2021 BE coming soon so we'll see if that has the same issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Savagegeese noticed this issue during his audio test of a 2021 Ridgeline Sport.

"This is probably the worst audio system I've ever heard and tested..." - savage

I have opened a case with Honda Corporate Customer Relations here in Canada. I sent this video to them to add to my file. I opened the ticket on the 16th of July and they said they'd get back to me in 24-48 hours with an update. No word since.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
31 Posts
I was going to post the same video. I just updated my claim with Honda and sent them this video as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"This is probably the worst audio system I've ever heard and tested..." - savage

I have opened a case with Honda Corporate Customer Relations here in Canada. I sent this video to them to add to my file. I opened the ticket on the 16th of July and they said they'd get back to me in 24-48 hours with an update. No word since.

A (non) update: I have now followed up 3 times with Honda Corporate after the timeframe they gave me back in July expired. No response. I’ve even copied the dealer GM into the thread to see if I can get a response. For their part in this, the dealership has been very good. But my experience with Corporate on this and other escalations has been disappointing to say the least.

I’m glad to see others pushing this forward with similar messaging to see if we can get some kind of action.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same issue with my ‘21 RTL.
Noticed it on drive home. I will try -3 Bass setting and SoundCheck on. I use Carplay & Apple Music.
Also curious to read through the JBL amp/DSP thread…

·
Registered
20 Posts
A (non) update: I have now followed up 3 times with Honda Corporate after the timeframe they gave me back in July expired. No response. I’ve even copied the dealer GM into the thread to see if I can get a response. For their part in this, the dealership has been very good. But my experience with Corporate on this and other escalations has been disappointing to say the least.

I’m glad to see others pushing this forward with similar messaging to see if we can get some kind of action.
Heard back from Honda Corporate yesterday and the long and short is that they claim the dealership did not test the stereo against another Honda Ridgeline on the lot. Easier said than done since these are on back order here in Canada so not an easy test to facilitate.

Corp also said that the issue I am describing is a “character trait” of the vehicle. Not joking. I tried not to lose my marbles on the woman from Customer Relations. I will be sure to suggest that they add “s****y stereo” in the marketing literature for next years model.

After a brief call with the GM at the dealership they are going to step in to help push this through and hopefully find a resolution in the coming weeks. I’ll keep folks updated.

In the meantime, keep escalating and be prepared for a possible response of it’s a “character trait”! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
did the -3 bass setting work for you?
I only have about 20 min driving since the change but so far so good. I have a 4 hour drive on Friday to really test it.
But the -3 bass, +3 treb, 0 sub with iPhone Sound Check turned on seems to be OK even around vol 12 which is reported to be the worst.

261 - 280 of 310 Posts