Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
281 - 300 of 310 Posts

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
In the meantime, keep escalating and be prepared for a possible response of it’s a “character trait”! :)
Can you imagine if Honda published a TSB that recommended lowering the bass level, enabling audio compression on your smartphone, and/or lowering your smartphone's Bluetooth volume as a workaround for this "characteristic"?

To me, that would be like suggesting that customers avoid driving in the rain if they don't want their carpets flooded. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I ear the problem. Besides, I have found that when the bass and / or treble are raised, the problem is even more noticeable. The situation occurs when I listen via wired Apple CarPlay.

Here is an example where this is obvious:
NEFEX - Rumors
At 0:13, when the kick goes in, the guitar drop down significantly. If you listen this song anywhere else, the guitar stays at the same level.

Or here, MUSE - Dead Inside
Along with the kick at the beginning of the song, I hear some waves in the frequencies.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles? I have an appointment at the dealership next week to install my roof rails and I'll definitely tell them about it. But I was wondering if I'm the only one hearing this.

Thanks
Quality and stability are much better for streaming when using Android Auto.

Rline 2021 Sport

·
Registered
255 Posts
I only have about 20 min driving since the change but so far so good. I have a 4 hour drive on Friday to really test it.
But the -3 bass, +3 treb, 0 sub with iPhone Sound Check turned on seems to be OK even around vol 12 which is reported to be the worst.
glad to hear. Just get that JBL dsp amp combo and those stock speakers will sing!!

·
Registered
2021 RTL
53 Posts
I added two 10" subs. This along with lowering the door speaker bass setting has significantly improved the volume leveling issue and sound quality in my opinion. Not the ideal fix but it's a start for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
glad to hear. Just get that JBL dsp amp combo and those stock speakers will sing!!
So far so good with the revised audio settings! But yes I am planning on JBL combo with new front components (not sure which components though) and dynamat treatment to front doors and likely removing rear seat and doing the back wall too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I ear the problem. Besides, I have found that when the bass and / or treble are raised, the problem is even more noticeable. The situation occurs when I listen via wired Apple CarPlay.

NEFEX - Rumors
At 0:13, when the kick goes in, the guitar drop down significantly. If you listen this song anywhere else, the guitar stays at the same level.

Along with the kick at the beginning of the song, I hear some waves in the frequencies.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles? I have an appointment at the dealership next week to install my roof rails and I'll definitely tell them about it. But I was wondering if I'm the only one hearing this.

Thanks
I just bought a 2021 RTL and I’m having the same problem while using CarPlay. The volume is waving up and down. Someone needs to start a class action investigation. For a recall. CarPlay is unusable this way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A few days ago I was watching a YouTube review, can't remember the channel, and they pointed out the exact same issue. If I can find it in my history, I'll let you know.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,028 Posts
And Honda absolutely does not care. They have never done software updates for infotainment systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have this problem on my 2021 Ridgeline. I am an audio engineer. I hear compression. Compressors are audio processors that take the loudest peaks in the sound wave and reduce them, usually by a ratio (e.g. 8:1 compression reduces every audio signal that crosses the activation threshold by a ratio of 8 to 1). It has a quick attack and a slow release, which means that it kicks in within milliseconds of hitting the threshold and slowly releases the compression ratio back to 1:1.

This is 100% a software issue. Likely put in by Honda to protect speakers from blowing because a basic compressor will pick up low pitch frequencies more so than high pitch, thus protecting the speakers from blowing. However the compressor in this case sucks.

Honda should absolutely remove this or add a setting to disable it. I will not be renewing any lease if it requires me to listen to music like this. It’s so bad

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this problem on my 2021 Ridgeline. I am an audio engineer. I hear compression. It’s so bad
Thank you so much for posting this. I knew there was something wrong, but was unable to put my finger on the specific problem. I agree, this is just awful. If it's true Honda will not likely do anything about this, is there ANY available fix or mitigation?

·
Registered
1 Posts

NEFEX - Rumors

Thanks
I have a 2020 Ridgeline and absolutely have this problem too. We have tried different cables, different phones, different streaming services and it all comes back to the audio system using Carplay. It drives my wife absolutely nuts so we dont use it. I was going to bring it in for service and ask them to look at it but in reading these posts, it may be a waste of time.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I have this problem on my 2021 Ridgeline. I am an audio engineer. I hear compression. Compressors are audio processors that take the loudest peaks in the sound wave and reduce them, usually by a ratio (e.g. 8:1 compression reduces every audio signal that crosses the activation threshold by a ratio of 8 to 1). It has a quick attack and a slow release, which means that it kicks in within milliseconds of hitting the threshold and slowly releases the compression ratio back to 1:1.

This is 100% a software issue. Likely put in by Honda to protect speakers from blowing because a basic compressor will pick up low pitch frequencies more so than high pitch, thus protecting the speakers from blowing. However the compressor in this case sucks.

Honda should absolutely remove this or add a setting to disable it. I will not be renewing any lease if it requires me to listen to music like this. It’s so bad
Spot on.

I'm a bass player, and I do run a compressor on my board to color my tone a bit, but it's nothing dramatic. Back in the day, car stereos used to have a "Loudness" button, which was basically compression.

I sit in front of studio monitors all day, and rehearse with nice Sennheiser reference headphones. So no car audio system really wows me. The Ridgeline's is perfectly fine for the average listener used to jamming tunes through iPhone speakers and small Bluetooth speakers.

·
Administrator
20,357 Posts
Back in the day, car stereos used to have a "Loudness" button, which was basically compression.
Actually, the loudness feature increases bass and treble at lower listening volumes to compensate for the human ear's reduced sensitivity to those frequencies at lower levels so that the perceived sound quality is the same at lower and higher volumes. It's an equalizer rather than a compressor. :)

281 - 300 of 310 Posts