Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2021-2023 audio system problem - volume fluctuates

103K views 381 replies 83 participants last post by  cabin_dweller 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I ear the problem. Besides, I have found that when the bass and / or treble are raised, the problem is even more noticeable. The situation occurs when I listen via wired Apple CarPlay.

Here is an example where this is obvious:
NEFEX - Rumors
At 0:13, when the kick goes in, the guitar drop down significantly. If you listen this song anywhere else, the guitar stays at the same level.

Or here, MUSE - Dead Inside
Along with the kick at the beginning of the song, I hear some waves in the frequencies.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles? I have an appointment at the dealership next week to install my roof rails and I'll definitely tell them about it. But I was wondering if I'm the only one hearing this.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The situation occurs when I listen via Airplay.
By hook or crook download your 'test songs' from a source other than Airplay / Apple Music to USB or CD and listen.

Report back with your findings.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more peakers [sic] had been connected by reversing the poles?
If you do not hear the same phenomenon when the music is played from a different source then this is highly unlikely, IMO.

Note that high-quality recordings played back via USB media or CD are always the best sources for testing your system's (amp and speakers) ability to reproduce sound accurately; an original recording on CD being the best. Otherwise there's always a question about the shortcomings of various streaming or other source effects/artifacts rather than the capabilities of the amp/speakers to reproduce sounds accurately.

#3 ·
Hi, I have a 2020 Ridgeline and I am experiencing the same issue. I took the truck in within the first month and asked the dealer to look at the issue. They said everything is fine and make sure I am using a genuine Apple cable, which was in the truck when I had it serviced. My truck has just over 2000 miles and the only time my volume changes is with Carplay, it does not happen when listening to the FM radio. I also insured that the SVC was disabled. I did call Honda tech line and spoke to a tech and they told me to disable the bluetooth on my phone since I am using Carplay.... did not change a thing.

Hope we find an answer..............

#5 · (Edited)
OP said they did 'testing' in a non-moving (parked) vehicle. That eliminates the possibility of ANC related issues in the case of the system implemented in the RL.

Note that as implemented in the RL, ANC only acts to 'cancel' certain low-frequency 'rumble' typically associated with VCM activation - it is not a 'full spectrum noise cancelling system' as found in certain other Hondas or other vehicles.

But if you want to disable ANC that can be done only by pulling the connector at the ANC module located behind the glovebox.

#12 ·
Hi, I just bought a 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport and I suspect there is something wrong with the audio system. If not, the quality is disappointing. In some songs, at some times, I have the feeling that the some frequencies goes down and becomes muffled. A bit like like when we go up or down a steep hill. Or when taking off by plane. Obviously I checked the audio settings and made sure the SVC (Speed Volume Compensation) is OFF. And I did some tests in a noise-free parking without moving just to make sure I ear the problem. Besides, I have found that when the bass and / or treble are raised, the problem is even more noticeable. The situation occurs when I listen via Airplay.

Here is an example where this is obvious:
NEFEX - Rumors
At 0:13, when the kick goes in, the guitar drop down significantly. If you listen this song anywhere else, the guitar stays at the same level.

Or here, MUSE - Dead Inside
Along with the kick at the beginning of the song, I hear some waves in the frequencies.

Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles? I have an appointment at the dealership next week to install my roof rails and I'll definitely tell them about it. But I was wondering if I'm the only one hearing this.

Thanks
So I was getting the same issue in all my music using bluetooth and apple music (Oceans Ate Alaska, Dance Gavin Dance, older Coheed and Incubus). I tried every setting in apple music equalizer and I was thinking of bringing it in to the dealer to see if they could take a look. The only thing that made it acceptable to me was setting apple music to the "electronic" EQ preset, and setting the fader to be rear bias in the ridgeline. I think I only have it set to 2 or 3 bars front speaker (it was only just enough to get the highs back and at an acceptable level) so you might have to play with it to see what works for you.

When people say they stock speakers are bad, it really is an understatement. I'll be upgrading the speakers eventually, but for now adjusting the fader to be rear bias has made it listenable for me.

#18 ·
OK here’s an update. I did some tests with the same song; NEFEX - RUMORS (my son’s choice ;)).

I know this is not a test signal but the problem very obvious with this song. By the way, I know for sure that the problem occurs in other songs too.

I‘m using my iPhone 11 Pro with iOS 14.4.

APPLE CARPLAY (USB wired)
The problem occurs every time and it’s obvious. I tried different cables but it doesn’t help.

BLUETOOTH
The problem is barely noticable! (Maybe not at all, or very acceptable)

LINE IN (via 1/8 cable)
There is no problem at all.

So it seems to be an issue with CarPlay. I will now look more in depth in this direction.

So I was getting the same issue in all my music using bluetooth and apple music (Oceans Ate Alaska, Dance Gavin Dance, older Coheed and Incubus). I tried every setting in apple music equalizer and I was thinking of bringing it in to the dealer to see if they could take a look. The only thing that made it acceptable to me was setting apple music to the "electronic" EQ preset, and setting the fader to be rear bias in the ridgeline. I think I only have it set to 2 or 3 bars front speaker (it was only just enough to get the highs back and at an acceptable level) so you might have to play with it to see what works for you.
HILIKUS you are right. When using APPLE CARPLAY, if I push the fader completely at the back the problem disappears. But the sound quality is terrible. Indeed, when I put one or two bars forward the problem is less present but in my opinion it remains unacceptable.

#14 ·
Phase issues can easily be tested by using both a mono test tone and a stereo test tone. Or by using the test files located on this website: Online Stereo Polarity (Phase) Sound Test

Since your problems occur at the same time in the aforementioned songs, it is more likely that your files could have a problem, or whatever source you are using could have bad files. You mentioned you are using Airplay. I don't own any Apple products, but I assume Airplay is a wireless technology, based on Bluetooth. In this case, Bluetooth adds additional compression to the already compressed files.

#15 ·
You mentioned you are using Airplay.
Damn I’m sorry for the confusion. I meant Apple CarPlay and NOT Airplay. I just edited the original post.

I will definetely play the « tests songs » from another source. FYI, the song was played via Apple Music and I don’t think it’s a matter of file compression since it plays nice everywhere else.

Thank you all for your recommendations and I will keep you posted on upcoming tests by tomorrow.

#16 ·
Could it be a phase reversal? As if one or more speakers had been connected by reversing the poles
Another member reported a phase reversal in a 2021...

As I've been test driving a few 2021's. I've been in one that a speaker in the stereo was clearly wired out of phase (I'm an audio nerd, and phase issues are easy to hear). Easy fix in all likely hood, but a panel will get pulled.

#19 ·
Yes,

I absolutely heard the same issue last week in a 2021 Sport and RTL. Particularly bass notes, and it sounded like cancelation. I suspected the ANC at first. Turned the sub up and down also, as I found in my 2019 I liked the subwoofer (aftermarket stereo) with the subwoofer reversed 180 deg (which I often do with a sub in the rear of the car). But even with the sub turned all the way down - same issue.

Heard in in the lot also while parked so that to me eliminated the ANC.

In fairness this was via bluetooth, so I did not try with a wired connection.

I drove a black edition yesterday and did not notice it all all, same songs, and tracks.

If it's a phase issue, with the harnesses used it may not be as simple as troubleshooting with swapping the inputs. Or, if it's in the DSP with the new headunit.

I think like anything the more people that report it and ask for a fix - the better chance that Honda looks at it and for a TSB...

But audio and service departments - can be a bear. I know that I'm going to look at another BE on Monday that I may buy, but the stereo is one thing I will be listening to first. I will not sign paperwork sight unseen anymore.

(the BE I test drove sounded great, but a clear cut buzzing was coming from the right front door speaker. Most likely a install issue I would have to think.

#21 ·
Sounds like you're no longer thinking there is a phase issue (saying it plays fine from the Aux In). However, if you do still suspect phase may be contributing, or just want to rule it out there are a couple of things you could try.

Test track, like this here, specifically to check phase. You can find/download better quality tracks than this (just showing as an example).

Buy a cheap phase checker. This is the best and easiest check. You can use fader and balance to check each individual speaker. This tool works well (I have one) and only costs $13.

#22 ·
I’m having the exact same problem in my 21 Canada support. I visit another dealer to try their sport, and it did the same thing. My truck is going into a Honda Way on March 15 wear a Honda engineer will do a remote diagnosis with a Honda tech.
I’ve tried every possible DIY solution from software, to hardware to other phones and cables.

I’m hoping the engineer will be able to access the sound tuning of the stereo, and turn it off. If not, I fear we will have to wait for Honda to get enough cases, and then rewrite the software for the DSP / audio tuning.
Please bring this to the attention of your Honda dealer, so we can start building cases.

#177 ·
I’m having the exact same problem in my 21 Canada support. I visit another dealer to try their sport, and it did the same thing. My truck is going into a Honda Way on March 15 wear a Honda engineer will do a remote diagnosis with a Honda tech.
I’ve tried every possible DIY solution from software, to hardware to other phones and cables.

I’m hoping the engineer will be able to access the sound tuning of the stereo, and turn it off. If not, I fear we will have to wait for Honda to get enough cases, and then rewrite the software for the DSP / audio tuning.
Please bring this to the attention of your Honda dealer, so we can start building cases.
Got my truck back on Saturday. Honda Engineers resolved the original issue I was in for, and relayed to me that the sound problem is “related to third party apps for music”... Tell me something I don’t know!

They said that at the moment there isn’t a formal issue that they can point to and say here’s the solution so for now this is unresolved. Maybe if there are enough complaints or either Honda or the phone manufacturers push an update that magically resolves it, I don’t get the sense this is going to move anytime soon. Disappointing to say the least - a new vehicle shouldn’t behave this way - but I am otherwise very happy with my new truck. It’s tough to overlook all the great features it has, in spite of the stereo issue.

I’ll keep nudging the dealership to see if there’s anything to keep it moving, but sounds like the kind of thing that will be prioritized by Honda based on number of complaints.

@zroger73 called it :)
I'm taking my 21 RTL in tomorrow for the Phasing issue as well. It's getting annoying. Figure at least I can report it to get the numbers up.

#25 ·
I plan on driving the black edition tomorrow (and potentially buying it), but the one black edition that I drove did not seem to have the issue. I know it has a slightly different system with the center channel, and a bit more wattage.

Just off the top of my head, it's doubtful but possible - could the tuning in the Sport and RTL be the same as the RTL-E and the BE... but those systems have the extra center channel, which would again point to the DSP? Say that the center channel is somehow responsible for certain frequencies more than others.

With it being apparent in multiple trucks it's likely not an issue with plugs being reversed. This points more towards software I would think.

That said, I did not listen to any music other than via car-play via blue tooth. So, I did not try XM, FM or any other streaming.

But, will try it in the BE tomorrow AM I believe.

#27 ·
I know it has a slightly different system with the center channel, and a bit more wattage.

Just off the top of my head, it's doubtful but possible - could the tuning in the Sport and RTL be the same as the RTL-E and the BE... but those systems have the extra center channel, which would again point to the DSP? Say that the center channel is somehow responsible for certain frequencies more than others.
It's actually a very different system with over twice the power.

The Sport/RTL system uses a 5-channel, built-in, 215-watt amplifier. All 7 speakers are powered directly from the audio unit.

The RTL-E/BE system uses an 11-channel, external, 540-watt amplifier. Each speaker is powered independently from the amplifier*.

*The six exciters in the bed are powered by three channels.

The center channel in the RTL-E/BE is full range and is a sum of the L+R channels.

Reactions: Sparkland
#26 ·
I tried to hear the problem with the songs you list above in my 2021 RTL-E. I couldn’t replicate the problem.
I also tried the online phase tests listed in this thread and my system responded normally in those tests.

i wonder if this is just an issue with “Sports”. 🤷🏻‍♂️

#28 ·
I tried to hear the problem with the songs you list above in my 2021 RTL-E. I couldn’t replicate the problem.
I also tried the online phase tests listed in this thread and my system responded normally in those tests.

i wonder if this is just an issue with “Sports”. 🤷🏻‍♂️
The issue occurs for me on a brand new 2020 RTL, so it's not just the sport 2021 (edit: although zroger73 is right, I would still have the same speaker/amp setup as a 21 Sport so it might be something specific to it). Also need to play around with my wifes 21 Passport Touring, it appears to have the same issue but I haven't had a chance to sit with it (she listens to her music at a much lower volume and with less bass).

#31 ·
No matter what it is, it seems that there is a real problem here. I have an appointment at the dealership on Tuesday March 16 for something else but I’ll make sure I have a qualified person looking at it. Until then I will continue to investigate. Thank you for your help. If we address the situation together it will give us arguments against dealers/Honda.

#33 ·
I noticed it immediately in the first minute I had the stereo going in the Sport I test drove. It is obvious. But, I will be interested to see if the service departments acknowledge it. One of a few reasons I will test drive anything before I take it home anymore.

#40 ·
Drove the black edition today, different unit than the first one. Absolutely no stereo problems. Unfortunately I had to walk away from the deal! (the detail guy used some crazy strong smelling fake smell to wipe all the plastic down, it smelled like fake air freshener... no idea why, and the front bumper was scuffed up. They used armor all to cover it up, but as soon as it's washed a couple times - those scuffs will be back (in the black part).

Bummed.

#47 ·
Yes, tweeters being out of phase with the mids shouldn't be an issue other than around the crossover region. Like you say, some OEMs reverse phases of tweeters due to the phase shift introduced by the crossover components themselves. Bigger problem would be if L Mid was out of phase with R Mid.

#48 ·
The 10-speaker Bose system in my CX-5 does really weird things with phasing in the interest of creating "sweet spots" for each of the normal seating positions. As long as you're sitting where you're supposed to, the sound quality is very good. If you turn your head or move away from a normal seating position, the phase differences will make your eyes water. ;)

#51 ·
I’ve recently purchased a 2021 Sport here in Canada and I joined the forum specifically to look into this issue. I thought I was just crazy but seeing how many others are experiencing this issue tells me it’s an authentic problem. Based on what I’m reading I’m thinking it’s a CarPlay/Honda interactivity problem but I’m heading into the dealership this week and will report it.
Like everyone else it cuts out as soon as the bass or heavier music kicks in almost as if it is “clipping” on an amplifier to protect the speakers from blowing. Strange. I dug around in my iPhone settings and couldn’t find anything that is “limiting volume”. Here’s hoping we can figure this out because it’s unacceptable on a brand new vehicle!

#52 ·
I’ve recently purchased a 2021 Sport here in Canada and I joined the forum specifically to look into this issue. I thought I was just crazy but seeing how many others are experiencing this issue tells me it’s an authentic problem. Based on what I’m reading I’m thinking it’s a CarPlay/Honda interactivity problem but I’m heading into the dealership this week and will report it.
Like everyone else it cuts out as soon as the bass or heavier music kicks in almost as if it is “clipping” on an amplifier to protect the speakers from blowing. Strange. I dug around in my iPhone settings and couldn’t find anything that is “limiting volume”. Here’s hoping we can figure this out because it’s unacceptable on a brand new vehicle!
It’s definitely not a CarPlay issue. It’s just an issue. I’m having it on Bluetooth, and on USB. I have a Honda engineer looking at it tomorrow. Will keep everyone posted.

#55 ·
I'm interested in what comes of this as well. When I test drove the 21 I bought, I never synced anything thru bluetooth/AA. Hindsight, I should have. I noticed it within the first song played over bluetooth after purchase. Get the same clipping/volume variance sound even at lower volume (under 15 on headunit).

Turning the volume to 1/2 or less on the phone output seemed to eliminate it (Or at least it seemed less detectable from my ears). Then you have to turn the ridgeline audio up to about max to have a similar volume you would normally have at about 15. I'm not familiar with bluetooth output and how it affects the audio quality based just on volume level, but it seemed to change the sound of the music. I only did this a few times for a few minutes of initial troubleshooting to try to hear and repeat the problem. Maybe it was a fluke.

#56 ·
After several tests, I also believe that it's a problem with limiter and/or gain structure. The intensity of the problem varies a lot depending on the type of mix that was made on a song. If the song is mixed loudly, the problem is much more present.

If I play the song in Bluetooth or wired with a 1/8 wire, if the volume of my Apple iPhone 11 Pro is at maximum, the problem is present. If I turn down the volume on the phone and turn up the volume on the car's system to compensate, the problem almost goes away completely. The sound quality in general is disappointing but that's another discussion. :cautious:

So with Apple CarPlay, since the signal used is the pure digital output, it is impossible to lower the volume. It is very obvious that the problem is present.

So I did more tests in this direction. If I put the same problematic song via Apple CarPlay with Apple Music or with Spotify, the result is different. The problem is less present with Spotify since the output is weaker. However, with Spotify, the problem is obvious if the Volume level is at Loud in the settings, while if the Volume level is at Quiet it is much better.

For Apple Music, in the application settings, by default the Sound Check button is OFF. By activating this function, Apple says that "it Normalizes the volume level of your audio." So when I toggle the Sound Check button to ON, the volume of my test song is then reduced a lot and the problem almost completely disappears.

I then increase the volume on the car's audio system and the listening is much more pleasant.

After some research on this, I found that a lot of car manufacturers have this kind of problems with CarPlay.

In my opinion, it it's hard to say if it sounds better with Apple Music or Spotify. It looks like they both have their drawbacks. But after a couple of days, Apple Music with the Sound Check ON seems to be better overall.

I don't think that this explains everything and I will continue to investigate.

I have an appointment tomorrow morning at Honda and I can't wait to see how they will react to it.

#57 ·
Thank you for sharing this. I’m using Spotify and it is very apparent to me at almost any volume, but especially annoying at volumes below 15 on the head unit, so I can only imagine how much worse it is on the other apps if what you say is true about Spotify being least noticeable. I noticed that Spotify also has an option to "Enable Audio Normalization", so I am going to try to fiddle with that setting to see if it produces any better results.

I have an appointment on Thursday at the dealership and they've already made a note of the issue, so I'll be sure to pass along through the appropriate channels. Hopefully this gets looked at and can be resolved.

#60 ·
I visited the dealership this morning but there is not much news about this problem. They'll take the issue to Honda and get back to me if there's a recall... This is not what I wanted to hear but I am not very surprised. Let’s continue to address the issue to our dealers and hope that our collective effort will ring a bell at Honda.