Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure if this is new for 2021, but I love this backup camera field of view selection option! Just another thing to love on the RL!

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Camera angle 3 makes trailer hitch alignment a breeze.

Reactions: DTHughes

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,348 Posts
I’m not sure if this is new for 2021, but I love this backup camera field of view selection option! Just another thing to love on the RL!
View attachment 414205
The camera view on my 2021 seems a bit different than on my 2017. When I back into my garage I could always use the second red line from the top to match up with the front edge of the workbench and I would be in just far enough to clear the garage door and not hit the workbench. On the 2021, that line is not even remotely close to being a suitable marker. Not sure what changed. I tried it in all 3 views and nothing matched.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
43 Posts
The camera view on my 2021 seems a bit different than on my 2017. When I back into my garage I could always use the second red line from the top to match up with the front edge of the workbench and I would be in just far enough to clear the garage door and not hit the workbench. On the 2021, that line is not even remotely close to being a suitable marker. Not sure what changed. I tried it in all 3 views and nothing matched.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,348 Posts
Maybe the height of the workbench has something to do with it. I was using the second solid line from the top in normal view.

The distance is more in the range of 20 or less inches. Something is different from my 2017.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's a shame that Honda doesn't build in a camera delay, so that the camera would stay on while shifting from reverse to drive, and back again while parallel parking. My Mini Cooper Countryman does this, and it's very handy.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Maybe the height of the workbench has something to do with it. I was using the second solid line from the top in normal view.

The distance is more in the range of 20 or less inches. Something is different from my 2017.
Oh, I forgot to tell you - I borrowed your workbench. Probably didn't put it back in the exact right spot. : )

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,348 Posts
Oh, I forgot to tell you - I borrowed your workbench. Probably didn't put it back in the exact right spot. : )
You funny guys. I guarantee you, the workbench did not move as it is bolted to the wall. I agree with @longboat , the orientation of the camera changed slightly on the 2021. Parking in my garage was just so easy before, on my 2017.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,026 Posts
I just do the tennis ball trick. For me, I find it easier to pull into the garage, and back out (but I have a big long sloped driveway). I tap the tennis ball with the windshield and I'm perfect, still have room to open the tailgate beyond the first detent, so easy to get groceries out of the trunk. 😁

·
Registered
2020 RTLE Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
97 Posts
It's a shame that Honda doesn't build in a camera delay, so that the camera would stay on while shifting from reverse to drive, and back again while parallel parking. My Mini Cooper Countryman does this, and it's very handy.
Or provide a "View" button like Mazda has that allows you to view the 360° camera in drive as long as you're not going more than a little over 9 mph.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,348 Posts
I just do the tennis ball trick. For me, I find it easier to pull into the garage, and back out (but I have a big long sloped driveway). I tap the tennis ball with the windshield and I'm perfect, still have room to open the tailgate beyond the first detent, so easy to get groceries out of the trunk. 😁
Using the tennis ball setup is a bit more difficult to do when backing into the garage. I have to closely watch the right front of the Ridgeline also, to not hit the garage door jam. I actually have a laser light from the ceiling that shines down onto the dash of the Outback, that shares space with the Ridgeline in the two-car garage. It is no problem lining up that laser spot every time in the same location on the dash, unless @oarnold, sneaks in and moves my laser.

Reactions: longboat

·
Registered
163 Posts
I tried the tennis ball thing for a while, but ended up tossing it in the garbage after it hit me in the face a few times. I now use a laser.

I use a laser too and it works well. But before those were ubiquitous and cheap, I did the tennis ball trick but I used a pulley at the anchor point on the ceiling, and another one closer to the door opening. Ran the string up through both pullies over to the top of the door and anchored it there. A few string measurements and I had it so when the door would go up, the counterweight of the ball would pull itself down to windshield height. When you closed the door, the string would pull the ball up and out of the way.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts