Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for allowing me to join.. So I'm thinking very seriously on getting a 2121 black edition but as honda lacks on the quality of the backup camera I was wondering if its possible to swap it out for a better one? Also is there a way of adding a backup beep notification? Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its just not a good quality camera and I'm just trying to see if there is a way of replacing the factory one with an aftermarket one. When comparing the Ridgeline camera that I test drove to my wife's subaru backup camera its like night and day. Even the one thats in my 19 Odyssey its bad too.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Thanks for allowing me to join.. So I'm thinking very seriously on getting a 2121 black edition but as honda lacks on the quality of the backup camera I was wondering if its possible to swap it out for a better one?
The rearview camera on my '21 is perfectly adequate for seeing what's behind me day or night. Does it have as good of a picture as the 4K TV in my living room? No, but it doesn't need to - there's no need to read the license plate number on the vehicle behind me. :)

Also is there a way of adding a backup beep notification?
The RTL-E and Black Edition already have rear (and front) parking sensors and rear cross-traffic alert.

·
Registered
21 black BE
48 Posts
Having used backup cameras on several vehicles, my ‘21 RL’s camera and cross traffic alert is the best yet. I can’t believe how wide an angle it has, it can see an entire block or more down the street and provides a sufficient alert of oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rearview camera on my '21 is perfectly adequate for seeing what's behind me day or night. Does it have as good of a picture as the 4K TV in my living room? No, but it doesn't need to - there's no need to read the license plate number on the vehicle behind me. :)

The RTL-E and Black Edition already have rear (and front) parking sensors and rear cross-traffic alert.
When I test drove the Black Edition the sales guy said it had it but couldn't figure out how the parking sensors wouldn't beep/ alert. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I test drove the Black Edition the sales guy said it had it but couldn't figure out how the parking sensors wouldn't beep/ alert. Any thoughts on this? Thanks
There is a "P" button on the cluster to the left of the steering wheel that turns it off/on. If that is lit up then it's probably turned off in the vehicle settings in the entertainment system.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,456 Posts
I'd check to make sure the camera lens is clean.

You can replace the camera, but you won't get the three different views.

You can add one of those license plate cameras and either plumb it into your HU (replacing the stock camera) or add a standalone monitor just for the camera (which would allow you to keep it on whenever you like.

I've got a 2019 RTL, so I am able to upgrade my head unit. If I ever do, I will get the dual camera inputs and add a 2nd camera, in addition to the three-view oe unit.

·
Registered
2020 RTL Pacific Pewter
40 Posts
I'd check to make sure the camera lens is clean.
Was about to post the same thing. Go and test drive it again and take your thumb and wipe the lens cover and see if that makes a difference. The quality of the Honda camera is much better than the one I had in my Nissan, so wondering if the lens cover was just dirty. Haven't compared it to a Subaru though.

·
Registered
2020 Black Edition
38 Posts
Thanks for allowing me to join.. So I'm thinking very seriously on getting a 2121 black edition but as honda lacks on the quality of the backup camera I was wondering if its possible to swap it out for a better one? Also is there a way of adding a backup beep notification? Thank you.
I have a 2018 Accord Touring and yes the backup camera on the Accord is much better quality than what’s on my 2020 Black Edition truck. I would think that you could just switch out the RL camera for the Accord camera BUT I bet the touchscreen has a lot to do with the picture quality. Just eyeballing the cameras, they look the same. I’m betting that whenever Honda does a true redesign of the RL they will upgrade the screen. Beyond doing that I’d check out Crutchfeild.com and see what they offer.

·
Registered
301 Posts
UUGGGHHHH... You guys and your back-up cameras... ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PAY ATTENTION!!! 48 years of driving everything from 2 seater sports to 4 door dualies, and I never backed into anything... If you haven't seen where you're backing to, you shouldn't back there...
It seems to me if there is going to be a camera back there it should be onscreen when you're moving forward to help you better see people coming up behind you driving erratically... A video based mirror!!!
Of course if it did too many people would focus on it, rather than use it like a mirror, and smash the person in front of them... Driving does and always has required 100% attention, NO ONE can successfully multi-task behind the wheel, if you're not screwing yourself, you're screwing others... Of course, "others" don't seem to matter anymore...
UUGGGHHHH...:mad:

·
Registered
2020 Black Edition
38 Posts
UUGGGHHHH... You guys and your back-up cameras... ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS PAY ATTENTION!!! 48 years of driving everything from 2 seater sports to 4 door dualies, and I never backed into anything... If you haven't seen where you're backing to, you shouldn't back there...
It seems to me if there is going to be a camera back there it should be onscreen when you're moving forward to help you better see people coming up behind you driving erratically... A video based mirror!!!
Of course if it did too many people would focus on it, rather than use it like a mirror, and smash the person in front of them... Driving does and always has required 100% attention, NO ONE can successfully multi-task behind the wheel, if you're not screwing yourself, you're screwing others... Of course, "others" don't seem to matter anymore...
UUGGGHHHH...:mad:
And of course nobody’s comments and opinions matter but yours…thanks Kevin.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
111 Posts
I was really disappointed in my backup camera (2021 EX-L I picked up in June) until I realized that... the lens cover was dirty. It gets dirty easily, but it's also easy to wipe off. Otherwise, excellent capability with the three views.
I’ve applied Rain-X to my lens — it does help…

·
Registered
12 Posts
What’s the issue with the backup camera? I have a 2021 Black Edition, best camera I’ve had, 3 views, very wide angle, normal angle, and straight down from the bumper. Love it. Leave it alone.
The camera on my 2019 is not nearly as good as my wife's Mazda CX-5 camera. I keep thinking about replacing it too.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will say that the camera in my 2019 is crappy too, seems like they bought them the same place ford is getting theirs for the Lariats, China city no doubt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I went ahead and got the White Black Edition. One reason the camera was so bad they had sprayed a ceramic coating on the truck and they forgot to wipe the camera lens. After further investigation I did see too that the parking sensors were turned off as well. So, so far so good seems like a great truck. I appreciate everyone's response.
Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire

1 - 20 of 27 Posts