Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2021 RTL-E. After driving on highway for an hour and a half at 80mph, I exited the highway and as soon as I pulled onto a secondary road the check engine light started flashing and the engine was hesitating with little to no power and poor shifting. I limped it to safe place to pull over (aprox 3 miles) and shut the truck off. I checked under the hood and didn't see anything and after approximately two minutes I restarted the truck and the light was gone and it drove fine after that. (It was 15°F with 10,250 miles at the time and not towing or hauling anything) I drove it the next day 4 hours on Highway without any issues. Has anybody else experienced this issue on the 2021's?

·
Administrator
21,215 Posts
Not that I've seen.

A flashing CEL indicates that a potentially catalyst-damaging misfire is occurring.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran a code reader too and same as you. No code stored. It only happened that one time so far and hopefully it won't do it again. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
703 Posts
It may be helpful to look at mis fire count PIDs. Mode 6 generic OBDII data contains locations for present and last drive cycle mis-fire counts by cylinder. It‘s not unusual to see the counters register a few random misfires but if you see a cylinder dominating misfire counts, it could point to an issue in that cylinder. It’s important to know if the misfires are random across all cylinders or is primarily in 1 cylinder. When you say no codes are stored, does this include pending codes? No misfires recorded in mode 6 data?

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Black Edition
17 Posts
It may be helpful to look at mis fire count PIDs. Mode 6 generic OBDII data contains locations for present and last drive cycle mis-fire counts by cylinder. It‘s not unusual to see the counters register a few random misfires but if you see a cylinder dominating misfire counts, it could point to an issue in that cylinder. It’s important to know if the misfires are random across all cylinders or is primarily in 1 cylinder. When you say no codes are stored, does this include pending codes? No misfires recorded in mode 6 data?
I would think there would be some information stored that would give a clue to the problem but the Honda dealership could not tell me anything. So my assumption is that there is no misfire information. I didn't have my OBD reader with me as I am travelling but I know what you are talking about and have seen that information when querying another vehicle (2008 Mini). I'll definitely ask if it happens again; like the OP, my fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
703 Posts
If you have a scanner you may want to drive the scenario that caused the mis-fire with the scanner attached. When you park, check the mis-fire PIDs before turning off the engine. It’s possible to have mis-fires but below the threshold to declare a fault and flash the CEL.

Reactions: MN_Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2021 RTL-E. After driving on highway for an hour and a half at 80mph, I exited the highway and as soon as I pulled onto a secondary road the check engine light started flashing and the engine was hesitating with little to no power and poor shifting. I limped it to safe place to pull over (aprox 3 miles) and shut the truck off. I checked under the hood and didn't see anything and after approximately two minutes I restarted the truck and the light was gone and it drove fine after that. (It was 15°F with 10,250 miles at the time and not towing or hauling anything) I drove it the next day 4 hours on Highway without any issues. Has anybody else experienced this issue on the 2021's?
Yes, I am experiencing the exact same thing with my 2020 RTL. Solid check engine light at 8000 miles (which stored a tranny related code) then flashing check engine light at 10,300 and 10,800 with no codes stored. All three times it was immediately after several hours of highway driving then pulling away from the stop at the end of the off ramp. Same hesitation and limp mode all three times. At Honda dealer currently and they are totally perplexed and are contacting Honda corporate Tech department. First Honda product I’ve owned that has given me problems and I am totally disappointed and frankly quite pissed. Don’t trust the vehicle and don’t want it back from the dealer until they can fix this. If I get any answers on the required repair, I will post them for you. Good luck, it likely will happen again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I am experiencing the exact same thing with my 2020 RTL. Solid check engine light at 8000 miles (which stored a tranny related code) then flashing check engine light at 10,300 and 10,800 with no codes stored. All three times it was immediately after several hours of highway driving then pulling away from the stop at the end of the off ramp. Same hesitation and limp mode all three times. At Honda dealer currently and they are totally perplexed and are contacting Honda corporate Tech department. First Honda product I’ve owned that has given me problems and I am totally disappointed and frankly quite pissed. Don’t trust the vehicle and don’t want it back from the dealer until they can fix this. If I get any answers on the required repair, I will post them for you. Good luck, it likely will happen again.
Same on all counts with my 2021 BE (except I have not had the tranny problem…yet). I’m not sure if it was after consulting Honda but my dealer decided to replace the fuel injectors as the most likely source of the problem. I have not had the CEL come on again but I’ve only driven one-ish hour drives. In a couple weeks I go on another long one so we’ll see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2022 Ridgeline, 3500 miles. While getting on exit ramp after three hours highway driving malfunction lamp started blinking and loss of power. Temp approx 18 F. After shutting off engine for 10 minutes, the light went off and power restored. Took to dealer and they could not find any code. Told me to come back if the problem reoccurs!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I see a change coming out in the owners manual:

* Warm weather vehicle only. Caution, intermittent operations encountered during below freezing temperatures.

With no codes being displayed. I don't see Honda getting a fix on this problem very soon.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Maybe a fuel delivery issue? For those reporting the problem, what was the fuel level when the fault occurred?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just had this same thing happen on my 21. Off the highway, throttle off, sweeping bend, went to accelerate to merge with traffic and nada. Flashing cell, judder like a misfire, and little power. Pulled over and restarted, symptoms gone. Straight to dealer but no codes stored. 3/4 tank of gas. Did a search before seeing this so resurrected the limp mode post. Will keep my reader in the truck and try and capture codes before restarting next time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello, looks like it's becoming a common issue. Same thing happened again on the exact same road and driving conditions. Now at 13,400 miles 5°F - 1/2 tank of gas. 2 hrs highway driving then exited and turned onto side road and flashing check engine light with hesitation and loss of power. I just got a decent code reader and will keep it in the truck for next time (I'm sure it will keep happening) and run the code reader before turning the truck off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello, looks like it's becoming a common issue. Same thing happened again on the exact same road and driving conditions. Now at 13,400 miles 5°F - 1/2 tank of gas. 2 hrs highway driving then exited and turned onto side road and flashing check engine light with hesitation and loss of power. I just got a decent code reader and will keep it in the truck for next time (I'm sure it will keep happening) and run the code reader before turning the truck off.
I’ve had three occurrences: the first two were after 2-4 hours of driving, temperature in the 30s, 3/4-1/2 tank of gas, but the interesting thing is that they both happened slowing down on an exit ramp but not super slow. I was going from one interstate to another.
The third one was accelerating onto the interstate from a rest stop.

It’s notable that a lot of these are happening on an exit ramp while making a sweeping turn (probably right)

It will be interesting when someone can capture a code while the cel is on???

·
Registered
703 Posts
Interesting that this is occurring on new RLs but no recent reports on the Pilot, PP and Ody forums and there are a lot more new Pilots and Odys on the road than RLs. There is 1 report from 2016 of a 2016 Pilot with a similar issue. That owner reported the gas tank was also most dry when the problem occurred. A few others chime in on thread with tanks that are not almost empty. The thread is in the link below - no definitive cause was found.

Also this report from 2020 on the PP forum

But nothing like the frequency of reports on the RL forum.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
(Jan 11, 2022) UPDATE..... Third Time with no end in site. Same thing happened again on my 2021 RTL-E on the exact same road and driving conditions. Now at 13,615 miles 32°F - 1/2 tank of gas. 2 hrs highway driving then exited and turned onto side road and flashing check engine light with hesitation and loss of power. After pulling over in a safe spot a couple of miles down the road I left the vehicle running. It had a rough idle running between 1300-1400 RPM. I ran the Code Reader (Ancel FX4000) and got two codes. P0302 & P0303. I turned off the vehicle for 5 mins and restarted and it's like it didn't happen (temporary fix again). Honda needs to Recall every Honda Ridgeline and fix the problem that is becoming so common with these vehicles. If you haven't experienced this problem yet, YOU WILL it's just a matter of time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts