Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Black Edition
12 Posts
Full video with scan results:
Thanks! This makes the case. I think my dealer’s “fix” might have been spot on. Replace the fuel injectors.

What’s really messed up is this was an issue a few years ago and the didn’t even put in a proper capture routine into their engine monitoring code. But you found it! Thanks!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Off ramp after lengthy highhighway driving and cold weather? Hmm. Would not have thought injectors, my thoughts were leaning to crap/ice in the fuel tank or something. Here's where a forum can shine, collation of symptoms and conditions to get to the root of the problem. Dealers will either ignore because no codes or replace parts ad hoc.

·
Registered
‘21 White, BE
103 Posts
Dealer called back after having the truck last week with no resolution of the problem. Dealer stated that his "source" ie Honda Techline I assume, is telling him it's an issue with a pin on the rocker arm that is the issue. Dealer told me that he tried to order parts and of course they are on National backorder. Told the dealer I would continue to monitor my truck and would consider doing the repair if needed. Not happy about them wanting to open up the top end of a truck with 6k on the clock....

·
Administrator
21,157 Posts
Dealer stated that his "source" ie Honda Techline I assume, is telling him it's an issue with a pin on the rocker arm that is the issue.
Have you checked the oil level? The valve lift (VTEC) and valve pause (VCM) systems get unhappy with low oil levels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oh great, went through a similar debacle with a brand new 2020 Mazda Miata at the tender age of 465 miles, flashed check engine light and booted into safe mode, limped 15 miles back home and dealer came and got it, was showing water in fuel code, but the codes are just a guess as to where the real problem lies, as they (dealer) found out, they ended up completely going through fuel system, cylinders, valves, everything, 30 days of hacking on it till they got to the problem aaaand it was a out of spec flywheel that kept tripping the trigger, the dealer was great about it, and kept me in new Miata loaners till fixed, but the problems with all this modern "junk" is just that, every sensor trips another, and root cause can be way off the path of a code, that's why many don't get fixed, if my 2021 Ridgeline coughs up this problem, that will be it for Japan design cars for me, once they take a car apart enough, it never gets put back together right, found 2 grease rags stuck in body panels, traded the Miata Club for this 2021, Black HPD Sport, pretend eyebrow lights (non function on this trim level), bed rug, body glove steering wheel cover, driver/rider front window tint to match rear windows, Weatherguard floor mats, sprint booster V3 so it doesn't lay wallowing in intersections grunting the sponge throttle to move it out of the way deciding if its playing possum or not, elastic Halloween bat mask, headrest stowed for next covid variant mandate, silver wire wrapped molavite pendant with dog tags for rear view mirror hangers, will be adding plastic Jesus for all the help I can get now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
(Jan 11, 2022) UPDATE..... Third Time with no end in site. Same thing happened again on my 2021 RTL-E on the exact same road and driving conditions. Now at 13,615 miles 32°F - 1/2 tank of gas. 2 hrs highway driving then exited and turned onto side road and flashing check engine light with hesitation and loss of power. After pulling over in a safe spot a couple of miles down the road I left the vehicle running. It had a rough idle running between 1300-1400 RPM. I ran the Code Reader (Ancel FX4000) and got two codes. P0302 & P0303. I turned off the vehicle for 5 mins and restarted and it's like it didn't happen (temporary fix again). Honda needs to Recall every Honda Ridgeline and fix the problem that is becoming so common with these vehicles. If you haven't experienced this problem yet, YOU WILL it's just a matter of time.
Will any of Ancels lower models provide the same information?

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
464 Posts
Have you checked the oil level? The valve lift (VTEC) and valve pause (VCM) systems get unhappy with low oil levels.
Cylinders 2 & 3 are on the front bank, and vcm stuff is on the rear bank, is it not?
(nm, coffee hasn’t kicked in yet)
Also did OP rev engine to excess of 5k rpm during or leading up to the issue? (Thinking of vcm engagement/disengagement)

Those MIL codes should have freeze frame data which Honda dealer tech can read to determine a number of things when those codes were triggered, which in theory might help them pinpoint what is going on.

This is certainly a strange and very uncommon issue for modern Ridgelines.
I understand the OP is rightly frustrated, and his low mileage RL should NOT be experiencing this, however I have to challenge on the hyperbolic video titles (“ALL Ridgelines should be recalled NOW”, etc). Perhaps you are trying to attract attention from Honda Corp on this issue? I would certain call them directly if you haven’t already to ensure there is someone aware of your case and to confirm, dont assume, the dealer techs (nurses) are working with Honda Tech line (doctors).
I would hope they are looking at allkinds of things like fuel supply, contamination, delivery, oil starvation, etc. before tearing into The upper engine.

Anyhow I wish you luck on getting this resolved!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hello, I didn't rev the engine anywhere near the 5k rpm; lucky each time was right after turning onto another road after getting off highway. I can see it causing a major problem (serious or deadly accident) if it had happened while trying to merge onto a highway. Since more than one person is experiencing that exact same event during similar driving conditions and it could be a major safety issue, it is an area of concern that honda should "recall all vehicles". I have emailed, called and left messages with honda corp and have received no response. I will do another round of that in a few days and see if I can get a response. I already have multiple case numbers. I know the last option will be to trade it if for another brand (other than honda) and let somebody else deal with it, and that will not weigh good on my conscience knowing that there is a potentially dangerous vehicle that a automaker and dealer will just resell to an unsuspected buyer. I'll keep an update here as I go along. Thanks to all for your advice and sharing your experiences.
As far as the lower Ancel models, I'm not sure if they will read all the codes. Each model does and reads different stuff with the computer.

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E Pacific Pewter
464 Posts
I think with the type of issue you are experiencing, this would show up as a power train P code which all readers support.
I would also look into any lemon laws in your state and whether they could be applicable at some point, and make sure you have all the bases covered (documentation, etc) should you need to go that route.

·
Registered
2021 RTL E
1 Posts
I have a brand new 2021 RTL E that arrived on 1/4/2022. I was at 195 mi at 13F and came from 65 to a 20 mph cloverleaf turn unto another freeway. Tried to accelerate and the car limped to the next exit 1/4 mile where I pulled of at a gas station and the check engine light was flashing. Shut the truck off and sat 2 minutes and turned back on and ran fine. Going to the dealer but expect to find the same, no code. I ran my older OBD tool and found no stored or other codes.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Black Black Edition
12 Posts
I have a brand new 2021 RTL E that arrived on 1/4/2022. I was at 195 mi at 13F and came from 65 to a 20 mph cloverleaf turn unto another freeway. Tried to accelerate and the car limped to the next exit 1/4 mile where I pulled of at a gas station and the check engine light was flashing. Shut the truck off and sat 2 minutes and turned back on and ran fine. Going to the dealer but expect to find the same, no code. I ran my older OBD tool and found no stored or other codes.
That’s the same exact scenario I had, albeit at 1800 miles. No code, no freeze frame, no misfire count (what my dealer told me). I think they only believed me after I video’d it the second time it happened and that prompted them to replace the injectors. I don’t know if that fixed it but will post after my next long trip in two weeks. Also carrying my OBD reader in case as the only way to capture it is before shutting the engine off.

·
Registered
2021 RTLE Red, 2008 RTL Black
1 Posts
Just had this happen last night. After driving an hour at 75mph exited onto off street. While driving through traffic trick began to "sputter" and wouldn't accelerate. I then noticed flashing engine loght. After driving about 5 minutes through traffic I parked and shut it off. Turned back on no light and no issue. Since I needed to drive home later that night I brought to a dealership for diagnostics. Like everyone else, no codes or errors. 2675 miles on the truck, about 1/2 tank of gas. Temp around 20 deg. I have documented this issue and will continue to monitor. I've had multiple Hondas throughout. Hopefully if this is becomes an issue they'll own it and take care of it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
With no codes being logged. I guess, everyone needs to invest on a cheap OBD code reader to have on hand for when the problem does happen. Try pulling the code before powering off the RL. With out a code, I don't see Honda fixing this very soon. They need to fix original problem, and fix why the CEL is not being logged.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have had it happen 3 times. Dealer says they will talk to tech and now escalate it higher. No word yet. Have posted my experiences in another thread. Best of luck as Honda doesn't seem to care.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm sure Honda cares, its just that no one is able to provide codes, where do you start to fix it? And they certainly will not be able to duplicate the problem on their Alabama test track. Its going to take the RL community to be more pro-active to find a code. As soon as winter goes away, the problem will go away, and pop up next winter.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts