Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loving my 21’ Sport, but looking to go LED for the DRL / High beams; have any of you in 21’s done this yet? If so, what did you use, and post pics / links to amazon if you don’t mind sharing your experience. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
You will find performance to be disappointing putting a LED light bulb in the high beam fixture. It really needs a fixture that is designed for LED. I hate the yellow high beams, too. Was wondering if I could find halogens with a higher color temperature.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
883 Posts
I had the opposite experience to GreginJaxFL. A pair of 9005 LEDs from Amazon (I used Auxito brand) are much brighter.

·
Administrator
20,289 Posts
I installed these in my 2019 and 2021. I was pleased with them in the 2019. In the 2021, they appear brighter, but the illumination is less even (there are brighter and dark spots). I'm not convinced there's any actual improvement in visibility. The color is a very close match to the factory low beams.

Note that NO LED's are legal for use in housings designed for incandescent bulbs on public roads in the US. I do not recommend using LED's in incandescent housings.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You will find performance to be disappointing putting a LED light bulb in the high beam fixture. It really needs a fixture that is designed for LED. I hate the yellow high beams, too. Was wondering if I could find halogens with a higher color temperature.
Sylvania SilverStar zXe may suit your needs. But to get a whiter (hotter) halogen bulb, you sacrifice some life longevity.

Reactions: CNC1

·
Registered
2017 RTL
52 Posts
Hopefully you don't put LEDs in and go around blinding people, some units are better than others. The only person that cares how your lights look is you, but all users on the road depend on appropriate lighting for safety. Safety over style. It's also illegal to do, as zroger pointed out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
710 Posts
#1, these led bulbs dim, so they aren't full power on DRL mode, actually they are not as bright as the stock low beams. They operate at a wide range of voltage without any extra resistors. You can't see very far with the DRL's on at night.
#2, the high beams are brighter, but mostly a lot wider beam, and maybe 50% longer than stock. As long as you orientate the bulbs at 3 and 9 o'clock, they will work fine.

I haven't had anyone flash me with these lights on my truck, I wouldn't want them if they did. I have had some VERY powerful off road lights, 175w, 385,000 candlepower KC Daylighters, with a 3-4 mile range, they actually burned the paint off my roof! (different truck) And required a much larger alternator just to run them.

I don't run around with my high beams on, and never have (or will), and these would blind you, BUT the stock bulbs will also do the same. I live in the country, and deer are a very big reason for my upgrade, so is it better to be "legal" and run stock POS light bulbs and total your truck or upgrade for around $80 and keep everything safe?( you and the deer)

·
Administrator
20,289 Posts
I have had some VERY powerful off road lights, 175w, 385,000 candlepower KC Daylighters, with a 3-4 mile range, they actually burned the paint off my roof! (different truck) And required a much larger alternator just to run them.
How many of those did you have to require a much larger alternator? Even the Ridgeline's alternator is rated at 150 amps (x 12 volts = 1,800 watts). :)

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
710 Posts
Well, were talking about a 1976 Ford (Mazda) Courier, with 4 of these mounted on the roll bar, plus a 3,000lb winch, and a loud stereo (for that time LOL) , during the blizzard I had to use the off road lights and the winch just to get home, I was at work when the blizzard hit, and even though I left early, I still had some serious snow to go through. I wouldn't even dream or want these lights on anything now days, LED bulbs are far superior, but they weren't around back then.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I hate added accessory lighting. People mount these LED arrays on the front of the vehicle and use while driving in regular traffic. They are not designed for this as they act like floods with no cut off to stop blinding oncoming traffic!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
In some states, light bars must be off when on public roads. In some states, they must be off and covered on public roads. Unfortunately, Texas is not one of those states.
Florida must not either. I have seen some that have turned all their OEM lighting to the off position and just use the LEDS. They do not even have rear lIghts unless they hit the brakes.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
883 Posts
Hopefully you don't put LEDs in and go around blinding people.
I hate added accessory lighting. People mount these LED arrays on the front of the vehicle and use while driving in regular traffic. They are not designed for this as they act like floods with no cut off to stop blinding oncoming traffic!
The OP is asking about replacing high beams (that blind people when on whether stock or LED). You don't have your high beams on when there are approaching drivers or you're driving behind somebody.

As long as the LEDs dim when in DRL mode, LED high beams won't blind anyone.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
The OP is asking about replacing high beams (that blind people when on whether stock or LED). You don't have your high beams on when there are approaching drivers or you're driving behind somebody.

As long as the LEDs dim when in DRL mode, LED high beams won't blind anyone.
I unerstand that, I was having a conversation with zroger that was slightly off subject but appreciate you correcting me.🤪

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
710 Posts
Florida must not either. I have seen some that have turned all their OEM lighting to the off position and just use the LEDS. They do not even have rear lIghts unless they hit the brakes.
I agree with you, but I have seen several people on my way to work at 4:00 AM, with only the DRL lights on, they don't know how to use the lighting controls!

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
710 Posts
Sylvania SilverStar zXe may suit your needs. But to get a whiter (hotter) halogen bulb, you sacrifice some life longevity.

We put a set of Silverstar ZXE's in my wife's Veloster, they weren't super white in color, but did put out more light---for about a year, then they burned out, and in that car it was a PITA to get them changed.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
52 Posts
We put a set of Silverstar ZXE's in my wife's Veloster, they weren't super white in color, but did put out more light---for about a year, then they burned out, and in that car it was a PITA to get them changed.
Marketing duping customers. Admittedly had some silverstars back in my first car for a year. My experience was similar. Light appears higher temperature, but you actually get less lumens, and less life. They are for appearance/style only, not performance/safety. Bulbs with tinted lenses reduce luminous flux.

We have a set of 9011 HIR's (tab trimmed) in our high beams. Lumen output increases from about 1700 to around 2300 (around 33% increase, notable behind the wheel), and the filament is in the exact same position as 9005. The difference is in bulb technology, the wattage consumed is identical. Significant high beam performance increase, approximately same daytime running light brightness running at lower voltage. And most importantly, optics that perform as the engineers designed. Have this in our Subaru as well, and it has made driving rural highways in hills/mountains feel safer due to the increased visibility.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2021 Black Sport - Picked these up on Amazon for $27.00 and couldn't be happier with them. Hated the look of that halogen drls so went with these in yellow. Think it looks a hell of a lot better now, and no, I'm not blinding anyone by running these as drls, they are just as bright in drl mode as any other led drls you see as stock equipment on other vehicles.

SOCAL-LED 2x H10 9005 9145 LED DRL Fog Light Bulb Conversion Kit Extremely Bright CSP 3570, Compact ALL-In-One Design, 3000K Golden Yellow

1 - 20 of 26 Posts