Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a 2021 RTL-E ridgeline, and have seen a couple of photos with a gear shifter instead of the push buttons for the transmission.
Is Honda going back to the gear shifter instead of the buttons?

Thanks,
DS

·
Administrator
15,214 Posts
You can't buy a 2021 Ridgeline because they don't yet exist. :)

No - the 9-speed automatic used in the Ridgeline always uses a pushbutton (electronic) shifter. It's possible that Honda may switch to their 10-speed automatic in a future Ridgeline, but that model also uses the pushbutton shifter.

Honda uses a shift lever only with their older transmissions that require a mechanical linkage (6-speed automatic and CVT's).

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I seem to recall that some early press material for the 2020 RL used a photo of the 2019 interior with the console shifter -- probably just a slip-up by someone in marketing who thought there were no changes to the interior and didn't think about the switch to the push button 9-HP.

·
Administrator
15,214 Posts
Thanks, looks like a post about a 2021 with a 2019 photo. 2021 Honda Ridgeline: Changes, Black Edition, Performance - 2021 Truck

That being said, should I have any concerns about the push button transmission? I did see a YouTube video about it failing, and having to be towed back to the dealer.
I wouldn't worry about it. I've seen more 2017-2018 CR-V's disabled because the mechanical release button on the side of the shift lever broke than models with electronic pushbutton shifters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts