Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing these issues or if it's just me. I've already brought it to the dealership and they, of course, cannot find anything wrong.

The "BRAKE|" issue happens constantly when I'm on a two-lane road that bends to the left. It seems the system picks up the cars in the opposite lane as a potential impact and it sets the alert off.

As for the ACC, it loses the car in from quickly in even a slight bend of the road, which becomes a problem when the system speeds up since it doesn't detect the car. On many occasions, I've had to slam the brakes on.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline Sport
133 Posts
Sorry I don't have anything helpful to add except that this is exactly why I switched to "normal" CC after my first attempt at using ACC. The owner's manual even shows a diagram of a curved/winding road as a "detection limitation", so there's probably not much you can do about it.

I tried to let Collision Mitigation Braking System do it's thing, but after getting tons of false alerts (dash indicator and buzzer) and a couple instances of automatic emergency braking that was hard enough to engage ABS when it was absolutely not warranted, I'm fed up with it. Now pressing and holding the CMBS button to disable it (for the current trip) is becoming part of my routine "start up sequence".

It's super annoying that certain settings (like CC mode) remain until changed, but other settings like CMBS and auto idle stop get reset every time you start the vehicle. I've looked through the manual and service information, and I can't see an obvious way to permanently disable CMBS without unplugging the camera and/or radar unit, which will undoubtedly set DTCs...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I don't have anything helpful to add except that this is exactly why I switched to "normal" CC after my first attempt at using ACC. The owner's manual even shows a diagram of a curved/winding road as a "detection limitation", so there's probably not much you can do about it.

I tried to let Collision Mitigation Braking System do it's thing, but after getting tons of false alerts (dash indicator and buzzer) and a couple instances of automatic emergency braking that was hard enough to engage ABS when it was absolutely not warranted, I'm fed up with it. Now pressing and holding the CMBS button to disable it (for the current trip) is becoming part of my routine "start up sequence".

It's super annoying that certain settings (like CC mode) remain until changed, but other settings like CMBS and auto idle stop get reset every time you start the vehicle. I've looked through the manual and service information, and I can't see an obvious way to permanently disable CMBS without unplugging the camera and/or radar unit, which will undoubtedly set DTCs...
It's really strange. I also have a 2018 Accord and the ACC performs perfectly. I think Honda chose sub-par components for the truck vs the cars

·
Registered
2022 RTL-E (Radiant Red), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,673 Posts
Funny, mine does the opposite. If I'm on a road with a right sweeper curve, cars approaching from the opposing lane set off my "BRAKE" alert from time to time. At least it doesn't slam on the brakes!

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing these issues or if it's just me. I've already brought it to the dealership and they, of course, cannot find anything wrong.

The "BRAKE|" issue happens constantly when I'm on a two-lane road that bends to the left. It seems the system picks up the cars in the opposite lane as a potential impact and it sets the alert off.

As for the ACC, it loses the car in from quickly in even a slight bend of the road, which becomes a problem when the system speeds up since it doesn't detect the car. On many occasions, I've had to slam the brakes on.
Regarding the inappropriate forward collision warning, that can be improved by having the dealer re-aim the camera and radar units. You can also reduce the number of false alerts by changing the warning distance to "short".

It's typical for the ACC to lose detection of the leading vehicle around a corner. The owner's manual cautions that this might happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regarding the inappropriate forward collision warning, that can be improved by having the dealer re-aim the camera and radar units. You can also reduce the number of false alerts by changing the warning distance to "short".

It's typical for the ACC to lose detection of the leading vehicle around a corner. The owner's manual cautions that this might happen.
OK, so I should have them re-aim the equipment.

I agree with you about the ACC losing detection, but what I'm saying is that my Accord holds it longer and picks it back up much quicker than my Ridgeline. There's a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I will add to this, not that it applies to your case but if you ever start receiving false messages on normal conditions, check your H logo on the front of the truck. When I drive through bug country, I need to turn off CMBS till I'm able to clean the front logo that houses the radar.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will add to this, not that it applies to your case but if you ever start receiving false messages on normal conditions, check your H logo on the front of the truck. When I drive through bug country, I need to turn off CMBS till I'm able to clean the front logo that houses the radar.
I had thought of that at one point, and thoroughly washed and wiped it off, along with the windshield camera, but it had no effect.

·
Registered
108 Posts

This is not a "defect" (per say). I have the same thing on my '22 Ridgeline. The cameras / radar pickup the oncoming vehicle when there is a long sweeping turn; to be fair I have never had the brakes engage during this situation. That said, I have little faith in HondaSense. False alarms are frequent, and when I deliberately delay braking there is rarely an alert that I need to brake (if I was really distracted, the system just would not intervene). Sure, having it is better than nothing, but the system lacks the processing speed and accuracy to be anything more than a novelty boardering on the point of being almost comical.

In comparison before my Honda I had several Subarus and racked up some 75k+ miles with their Eyesight sytem. On 1 hand I could count the number of false alarms I encountered. It is vastly superior suppressing false alarms while still intervening when it should.

The cruise control again is far inferior to Subaru. I have noticed tracking is not the best; however acceptable. My bigger complaint is when I come up upon a vehicle; the ACC reduces speed, as expected, if I change lanes (with the blinker on) the system takes FOREVER to adjust up. In my Outback I could change lanes with ACC in Atlanta during rush hour and it changed lanes almost like there the cruise was not even on. And being in Atlanta the traffic frequently came to a standstill; their ACC would follow the lead vehicle and come to a stop.

That being said, Subaru does have some short comings. You get beeps constantly; lane departures, picking up a vehicle, losing a vehicle, during long strait stretches it beeps because the lack of steering input. In heavy rain the cameras also fail and your dash lights up like a Christmas tree.

But frequently towing a 3000 lb camper, the Ridgeline has proven much better. There are rumors of Subaru truck in the works, though I think it is more in line with Hyundai than Honda which will be a problem for me. However, if it was based on the larger Ascent, and offered a (very unlikely) V6 & conventional transmission; I would dump my Honda like a bad habit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This isn't an ACC system problem, this is an CMBS problem. Simply resolution for me was to adjust the settings. You can change the detection distance in the settings. I changed from the default normal setting to the short setting and have not had a problem since.

1. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
  2. From the home screen, select Settings.
  3. Select Vehicle.
  4. Select Driver Assist System Setup.
  5. Select Forward Collision Warning Distance.
  6. Select Long, Normal, or Short.
  7. Press Back to exit the menu.

·
Administrator
22,744 Posts
More specifically and accurately, it's a FCW (Forward Collision Warning) issue. The CMBS (Collision Mitigation Braking System) has no adjustments - it's either on or off.

FCW is the feature that warns you of a potential collision. CMBS is the feature that actually applies the brakes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This isn't an ACC system problem, this is an CMBS problem. Simply resolution for me was to adjust the settings. You can change the detection distance in the settings. I changed from the default normal setting to the short setting and have not had a problem since.

1. Ensure the vehicle is in PARK.
  2. From the home screen, select Settings.
  3. Select Vehicle.
  4. Select Driver Assist System Setup.
  5. Select Forward Collision Warning Distance.
  6. Select Long, Normal, or Short.
  7. Press Back to exit the menu.
I reset mine to 'Long' because the system is so passive that I don't think it would alert me or apply brakes prior to impact. I still doubt it's efficacy but am not willing to find out if it actually works by testing it out.....ouch potentially too expensive. Please someone, tell me it actually worked for you!

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
809 Posts
I reset mine to 'Long' because the system is so passive that I don't think it would alert me or apply brakes prior to impact. I still doubt it's efficacy but am not willing to find out if it actually works by testing it out.....ouch potentially too expensive. Please someone, tell me it actually worked for you!
I have a 2020 RTLE and I can tell you that it definitely works. I had a car speed pass me on the right, dove in front of me to make a left hand turn but instead of moving into the turn lane he stayed in my lane. Although I don't think I needed the system in that situation because I was very aware of what he was doing, a split second before I moved to the right to go around him the system engaged the brakes. As soon as he turned the brakes immediately disengaged. And again even though I don't think I needed it I was thoroughly impressed at its actuation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You are not alone. I can’t stand the Braking message and constant beeps in my 22 RTL-E and It is crazy how my wife’s CRVs works so much better. With the ACC engaged her vehicle will take it all the way to a stop where my trucks stop working at 25mph.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Accords do better because the difference between the height of the camera and radar is closer to the ground. Pilots, Passports and Ridgelines have to aim slightly lower and that sometimes sees debris, cracks, and shadows on the road as a possible vehicle.

You can improve the logic with a 3rd party logic controller like the Comma AI unit. It looks at the camera with a much larger field of view. The 10 year old logic that comes builtin from Honda is no match to the 1 year old CPU and logic in the Comma AI.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Accords do better because the difference between the height of the camera and radar is closer to the ground. Pilots, Passports and Ridgelines have to aim slightly lower and that sometimes sees debris, cracks, and shadows on the road as a possible vehicle.

You can improve the logic with a 3rd party logic controller like the Comma AI unit. It looks at the camera with a much larger field of view. The 10 year old logic that comes builtin from Honda is no match to the 1 year old CPU and logic in the Comma AI.
Have you used this?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Funny, mine does the opposite. If I'm on a road with a right sweeper curve, cars approaching from the opposing lane set off my "BRAKE" alert from time to time. At least it doesn't slam on the brakes!
Same for me and it drives me crazy!!

I hate the dang nannies. I was passing a left lane hog on the interstate once and right as I was getting ready to change lanes back to the left lane the dang auto brake system went off and starting braking. Almost near caused a wreck. I kept the pedal mashed to the floor and cut hard left. Apparently the system thought I was going to hit the car ahead of me since I was closing on them so quickly. Problem is, the system didn't know I was planning on changing lanes. I have the sensitivity set as low as it will go.

I know some people love these things, but I've never had a supposed "safety system" even do anything to keep me safe. Be damn near killed by them...but never made me safer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same for me and it drives me crazy!!

I hate the dang nannies. I was passing a left lane hog on the interstate once and right as I was getting ready to change lanes back to the left lane the dang auto brake system went off and starting braking. Almost near caused a wreck. I kept the pedal mashed to the floor and cut hard left. Apparently the system thought I was going to hit the car ahead of me since I was closing on them so quickly. Problem is, the system didn't know I was planning on changing lanes. I have the sensitivity set as low as it will go.

I know some people love these things, but I've never had a supposed "safety system" even do anything to keep me safe. Be damn near killed by them...but never made me safer.

My Accord's safety system works almost flawlessly, and I wish the Ridgeline worked anywhere near as well

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
403 Posts
Nothing more unnerving that having on oncoming semi trigger BRAKE BRAKE in the apex of a 55 mph curve. I leave it on for city, but it's enough of a nuisance on the highway so I turn it off.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Modern Steel Metallic
18 Posts

Regarding the BRAKE issue, the manual even says that it can be touchy on winding back roads. The technology is advancing but it's not "there" yet. I'll shut mine off if it barks too much or if I know that I'll be in a situation where it will complain.

Regarding the ACC, I only use CC mode. Personal preference, obviously, but the technology is still not advanced enough to read all situations properly. It'll come but not yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts