Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,828 Posts
Finally had to contact the service manager because my Outback is still not done. He said his department is down 13 people. Wow! Will be getting it back tomorrow morning, hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
5,828 Posts
Finally, got the Outback out of the service department. The air bag light was diagnosed as a faulty sensor in the seat bottom of the passenger seat. They gave me a good will repair on the sensor in the seat bottom ($1,500). I was charged a $85 diagnostic fee on the airbag system. They told me the airbag system is only covered for 36 months/36K miles.

I inquired as to whether it was covered with the extended warranty that we have on the Subaru - the service writer did not know. I did some investigation and the SRS airbag system is covered under the Honda extended warranty. That would be reason enough to buy the extended warranty.

I still cannot confirm whether or not the Subaru extended warranty covers airbag sensors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Finally, got the Outback out of the service department. The air bag light was diagnosed as a faulty sensor in the seat bottom of the passenger seat. They gave me a good will repair on the sensor in the seat bottom ($1,500). I was charged a $85 diagnostic fee on the airbag system. They told me the airbag system is only covered for 36 months/36K miles.

I inquired as to whether it was covered with the extended warranty that we have on the Subaru - the service writer did not know. I did some investigation and the SRS airbag system is covered under the Honda extended warranty. That would be reason enough to buy the extended warranty.

I still cannot confirm whether or not the Subaru extended warranty covers airbag sensors.
I found you have to call Subaru for all repairs. My dealer told me the part for my engine would be 3 days and I could drive the car with the check engine light and the misfiring cylinder until then rather than getting a rental. I called Subaru from the dealership and they ordered them to give me a rental car from Subaru. They can even get you a credit on a repair you were charged for that is covered under the warranty. The local Subaru dealerships in my area are known for trying to pass off items as not covered.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
5,828 Posts
I found you have to call Subaru for all repairs. My dealer told me the part for my engine would be 3 days and I could drive the car with the check engine light and the misfiring cylinder until then rather than getting a rental. I called Subaru from the dealership and they ordered them to give me a rental car from Subaru. They can even get you a credit on a repair you were charged for that is covered under the warranty. The local Subaru dealerships in my area are known for trying to pass off items as not covered.
I might have to do that, since it is unsafe to drive with an occupant in the front passenger seat, until the sensor is replaced. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD
92 Posts
My wife and I had a 2012 Outback, 2014 Forester, and a ‘95 Tacoma beater truck. I sold the Outback & Tacoma and got my RL.
For me, it is the best of both worlds.
Compared to the Outback, I miss the Subaru’s paddle shifters on my 2017 RTS.

For me, gas mileage was effortlessly 25 mph in the Outback and about 12-15 in the old 2.7 4 cyl. 4x4 Tacoma. The average of the 2 is RL mpg. I miss how I didn’t have to think about the throttle to get 25 mpg in my Outback.

Now I have to really watch it or I’ll get below 20. This vehicle is much more powerful and than the others though, which makes acceleration enjoyable.

I really miss my heated (cloth) seats in my Outback and the all weather package: heated mirrors & wiper rests was nice when it came in handy. I realize I can go aftermarket for these items if I really wanted.

All that said, I don’t miss anything enough to go back. I’ve joked that I have “Outback fever”, and wondered out loud if my next vehicle will be my 2nd Honda or my 4th Subaru. Only time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
The Outback reminds me of the old 4wd AMC Eagle, a car ahead of its time (my brother owned one briefly).

Isn't Subaru like the State Car of Colorado? I have a sister in Ft. Collins and another in CO Springs that both own Subies, and they seem to know a lot of people who own Subies.

·
Super Moderator
5,828 Posts
It certainly is one of them, with Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, and Connecticut actually selling more Subaru's than Colorado.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
The Outback reminds me of the old 4wd AMC Eagle, a car ahead of its time (my brother owned one briefly).
The Eagle may have been ahead of its time, but what a piece of junk it was. A coworker bought a new one for getting to work on rural roads in winter, and I was amazed at how poorly it aged -- she did not drive it hard at all but trim pieces were always falling off and it was constantly in the shop for repair work. I rode in it several times. Visibility was horrible, the interior was clunky and rattles came from every direction.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts