Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to become a first time Ridgeline owner and at first I put a deposit down for a white BE. However looking into it really all I desire is the Honda Sense and LED lights. If I go w the Sport dealer price $35,241 if I go w BE $41,673

Is it worth the extra cash for red lighting, truck bed audio, bed outlet, blind spot, updated sound system and rear slidding window and sunroof

I definitely wish it had a rear sliding window. I think I'll go the black Sport. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just traded a 2017 Tacoma TRD for a 2021 Ridgeline Sport. The Taco had the 115 volt outlet which I never used, and a sliding rear window. I can do workarounds for the now absent rear window if I need to. For me, I preferred the Sport setup, and the lesser price.

·
Administrator
18,284 Posts
Looking to become a first time Ridgeline owner and at first I put a deposit down for a white BE. However looking into it really all I desire is the Honda Sense and LED lights. If I go w the Sport dealer price $35,241 if I go w BE $41,673

Is it worth the extra cash for red lighting, truck bed audio, bed outlet, blind spot, updated sound system and rear slidding window and sunroof

I definitely wish it had a rear sliding window. I think I'll go the black Sport. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!
Who are you buying the vehicle for? Yourself or us? What do you think?

If you think you might want the BE's features later, you're either going to have to live with that regret every day for years or waste a lot of money trading up.

The features you mentioned aren't the only differences. There are dozens of extra features on the RTL-E/BE compared to the Sport:

Go here and click on Features by Trim.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just traded a 2017 Tacoma TRD for a 2021 Ridgeline Sport. The Taco had the 115 volt outlet which I never used, and a sliding rear window. I can do workarounds for the now absent rear window if I need to. For me, I preferred the Sport setup, and the lesser price.
Yes, the reason I like the BE is how the outside looked w the black and the sport has almost the same exterior look. Thanks for the input! Mind sharing your price for the Sport?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who are you buying the vehicle for? Yourself or us? What do you think?

If you think you might want the BE's features later, you're either going to have to live with that regret every day for years or waste a lot of money trading up.
Myself definitely. I could live with everything off the BE besides that darn back window. Not worth the price difference. I guess sometimes you just have to write it up for more perspective. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,908 Posts
Just under 7% off the Total MSRP, and around KBB for my Taco.
What state do you live in, that the dealer is offering you a nice discount?

·
Super Moderator
5,908 Posts
I agree with @Hatman1793, get the White BE. It is worth the extra money. You will take a big hit financially if you try to upgrade later. I live in CO, where housing prices have increased 30-45% in the last year alone.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
51 Posts
Only you can decide whether it's worth it to have the extra BE options. I'm currently in the market for a Ridgeline. My absolute minimum need is the 10-way adjustable power seat. My wife really wants heated seats and a moonroof. So the RTL is my minimum trim level and is probably what we'll get.

One thing I need to perform more research on, though, is resale value. Do the higher trim levels (RTL-E or BE) depreciate less quickly? I'm not even sure depreciation is that big of a concern, though, since I typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years. But maybe that's a factor for you if you plan on trading in within 3-5 years.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Only you can decide whether it's worth it to have the extra BE options. I'm currently in the market for a Ridgeline. My absolute minimum need is the 10-way adjustable power seat. My wife really wants heated seats and a moonroof. So the RTL is my minimum trim level and is probably what we'll get.

One thing I need to perform more research on, though, is resale value. Do the higher trim levels (RTL-E or BE) depreciate less quickly? I'm not even sure depreciation is that big of a concern, though, since I typically keep my vehicles for 10+ years. But maybe that's a factor for you if you plan on trading in within 3-5 years.
Well, if you pay more for the truck, it will be worth more later on. Most cars depreciate at the same percentage rate each year. But yeah, you will get SOME of your money back if you buy a more expensive car. Less and less the longer you keep the truck.

·
Super Moderator
5,908 Posts
True but I don't see myself upgrading and I'd I did it would be a used BE in 2025.
As mentioned, only you can determine what you want and what you want to pay. If you have no expectations of trading up, then go with the Sport and save the $6,400.
That is a significant amount of money.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Thanks!
Just my opinion on these couple of items. It's all stuff you could live without but does help in the overall enjoyment of the vehicle. I would say they aren't gimmicky upgrades, most have a nice added bonus (not like that HPD option). If you can get the BE in a price that you are comfortable with then I would think you would not regret buying it IMO. If it's just not a comfortable price then I wouldn't worry about it, with the Sport you are getting most of the good stuff.
  1. Truck bed audio - nice every once in awhile but not a deal breaker
  2. Bed Outlet (haven't personally used once)
  3. Blind Spot (has saved me a couple of times from someone coming up fast)
  4. Sunroof (I use mine a lot when the weather is nice, great for highway driving),
  5. Heated Seats & Steering wheel (use all the time in the winter),
  6. Lights (you could upgrade but the LED low beams are very nice great visibility) Scratch this, seems the sport now comes with LED low beams
  7. Memory Seats (also very nice, never have to adjust between my wife and I driving, if it's just you probably not a big deal).
  8. Auto-high beam (I really like this but others have had issues with it, I leave mine on all the time)
  9. Rear sliding window ( I have a shell on mine so I never touch the rear window)

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
132 Posts
True but I don't see myself upgrading and I'd I did it would be a used BE in 2025.
You sound a lot like me. I ended up getting an RTS in 2017 for many of the same reasons you mentioned. Personally would have liked power seats, but wanted cloth and not a fan of leather. A moon roof or sliding rear window would also be great, but know that metal roof and fixed window isn't going to develop leaks in NE Ohio's freeze-thaw cycles. Don't get me started on the touch-screen audio... The package price differences just wasn't worth the extra money (to me). The resale debate always comes up, but I buy vehicles for my own needs and not the next future owner's wants. In the end, simplicity won out over the extra toys and much higher price tag. But that's all personal preference.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
51 Posts
Well, if you pay more for the truck, it will be worth more later on. Most cars depreciate at the same percentage rate each year. But yeah, you will get SOME of your money back if you buy a more expensive car. Less and less the longer you keep the truck.
I should have said "depreciation rate". If all trim levels depreciate at the same rate, then it's a moot point. But does anyone have a good information source that compares depreciation rate? I might opt for the RTL-E versus the RTL if the depreciation rate is better. If there is more demand for a used RTL-E vs. RTL, I would assume the RTL-E depreciation rate would be at least marginally less than the RTL.

·
Registered
42 Posts
With respect to depreciation rates, why not have a look at lease residuals for the different trims to give you an idea?

A few years ago I asked my Audi dealer for fun what the 1-year residual value would be on an A8L W12 (a $160,000 vehicle at the time). It was 48%!

Other Audi vehicles (like most vehicles) depreciated a lot in the first year, but nowhere near 52%

1 - 20 of 81 Posts