Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline BE, 2010 CRV EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see if this was a normal situation. I have a 75-day old BE with about 4,400 miles on the vehicle. When the temperature is colder (below freezing) the transmission lags when I put it in gear to either go forward or reverse. Also, no leakage of fluid from the vehicle anywhere visible on the garage floor. It does not do this when temperatures are warmer or after the vehicle has been driven for a few miles. Is this normal for the 9-speed tranny? My previous 2017 BE never had this lag on the previous tranny version. Thank you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Same model, same age, same behavior. This transmission does NOT like to be cold.

·
Registered
2022 Ridgeline BE, 2010 CRV EX-L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. Just have never experienced this with a tranny before in any of my multiple Honda's I have owned since 1990. Only one Audi TT and one used Tacoma tossed in for a couple of changes along the way......

·
Administrator
23,207 Posts
The 9-speed is the first transmission used in a Honda that they didn't design and manufacture in house. The 9-speed was designed and manufactured by ZF. The same transmission is used by about a dozen other brands in addition to Honda.

·
Registered
29 Posts
According to Wikipedia Honda seems to be all in with this transmission. They use it in seven models plus two Acuras. I can't say I'm a fan yet but I'll reserve judgement until I can get a year under my belt. So far I don't like the cold weather performance and lately I've seen some unpleasant behaviour with the paddle shifters.

·
Administrator
23,207 Posts
...I've seen some unpleasant behaviour with the paddle shifters.
Would that happen to be downshifts from 8th and 5th - specifically, a sensation of acceleration when you expect engine braking and/or a longer-than-expected delay? If so, that's normal due to the dog clutches used for those two gears instead of friction clutches.

·
Registered
2017 RTL-T (2016-2021), 2022 RTL-E (2021-present)
129 Posts
Just wanted to see if this was a normal situation. I have a 75-day old BE with about 4,400 miles on the vehicle. When the temperature is colder (below freezing) the transmission lags when I put it in gear to either go forward or reverse.
Mine is a 75 day old RTL-E with 3,500 miles. It's been well below freezing here in NH and I've definitely noticed this lag. Was wondering if it was just mine. I'm glad you asked!

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
8,262 Posts
The 9-speed is the first transmission used in a Honda that they didn't design and manufacture in house. The 9-speed was designed and manufactured by ZF. The same transmission is used by about a dozen other brands in addition to Honda.
Our 2002 Accord V6 was a rocket once the automatic transmission finally engaged.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
315 Posts
Same with the family 2019 MDX shawd,

We start the car when the kids put on their shoes and accessories ( classic gen Z routine) by the time they are done the tranny is all warmed up 🤪🤣

Or start it and make a coffee ☕

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would that happen to be downshifts from 8th and 5th - specifically, a sensation of acceleration when you expect engine braking and/or a longer-than-expected delay? If so, that's normal due to the dog clutches used for those two gears instead of friction clutches.
The other day I was on the highway doing the speed limit and wanted to pass someone. I hit the downshift paddle and it dropped back to 4th and stayed there much longer than it needed. I even hit the other paddle to try and force it back to the correct gear but that didn't work. It's possible I hit the gas just enough for it to downshift normally while also hitting the paddle resulting in a "double downshift" of sorts. I was in D at the time and it is supposed to return to the appropriate gear as soon as it detects normal revs but it didn't do that. I has only happened once so I'm going to give Honda the benefit of the doubt and blame user error. I'll watch it carefully, though.

The other thing I'm not thrilled with is probably the dog clutch thing. When I take my foot off the gas I expect the truck to immediately give me the sensation that it is loosing momentum and slowing down. Often it seems to hold the same gear and maintain speed for a few seconds before the downshift kicks in and it starts to slow down. It's kind of an unsettling feeling...I'm not speeding up but it kinda has the same feeling.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Administrator
23,207 Posts
Yeah - that's probably the transmission effectively shifting to neutral, raising the engine speed, applying a dog clutch, then going on about its business. :)

To force the transmission to return to automatic shifting after temporarily selecting a gear while in D, simply hold the right paddle shifter for a few seconds.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
830 Posts
The other thing I'm not thrilled with is probably the dog clutch thing. When I take my foot off the gas I expect the truck to immediately give me the sensation that it is loosing momentum and slowing down. Often it seems to hold the same gear and maintain speed for a few seconds before the downshift kicks in and it starts to slow down. It's kind of an unsettling feeling...I'm not speeding up but it kinda has the same feeling.
What I have noticed with the ZF9 when using the paddle shifters (in regular D Mode) is that you have to get used to it's characteristics. I often use the down paddle when traffic is slowing ahead of me on the freeway. I'm used to it now and more often than not I will "double-tap" the down paddle which takes me from 9th to 6th gear (it skips 8th presumably since the gear ratios between 8th and 9th are not much). For really slow traffic I may go down to 5th or even 4th. At this point, if I'm on the brakes, the "dog-clutch effect" is not as noticeable. In either scenario, if I do not touch the accelerator the selected gear will hold and the vehicle slows. If I resume "normal" pedal pressure the tranny will upshift appropriately. If I'm hard on the gas, it will stay in that gear until I manually shift it or resume a more moderate pace or shifts itself based on conditions. It takes getting used to but I love it. It's definitely not boring!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yep! Eleven degrees out with no warm up. Slight delay going to reverse and also shifting to drive. Shifts were a little firmer for several miles. Not really concerned about it and may not have noticed if I hadn't read it here. Looking back I've had vehicles that did the same thing. It's understandable to me that a transmission may shift firmer and be slower to engage in very cold weather, I am!

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,812 Posts
What I have noticed with the ZF9 when using the paddle shifters (in regular D Mode) is that you have to get used to it's characteristics. I often use the down paddle when traffic is slowing ahead of me on the freeway. I'm used to it now and more often than not I will "double-tap" the down paddle which takes me from 9th to 6th gear (it skips 8th presumably since the gear ratios between 8th and 9th are not much). For really slow traffic I may go down to 5th or even 4th. At this point, if I'm on the brakes, the "dog-clutch effect" is not as noticeable. In either scenario, if I do not touch the accelerator the selected gear will hold and the vehicle slows. If I resume "normal" pedal pressure the tranny will upshift appropriately. If I'm hard on the gas, it will stay in that gear until I manually shift it or resume a more moderate pace or shifts itself based on conditions. It takes getting used to but I love it. It's definitely not boring!
When downshifting in Drive mode, the xmsn automatically drops two gears. A double-tap would (logically) drop three gears.

In Sequential mode, mine only drops one gear per tap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts