Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2022 Modern Steel Metallic, Meh? Or is it me?

23K views 88 replies 52 participants last post by  DockingPilot 
#1 · (Edited)
So I currently have a 2017 BE that looks fantastic in black.

The problem is, as we all know, that a black truck is impossible to keep clean especially in the snow belts where there is salt and crap on the roads for months on end. ...but clean 🖤🖤🖤

I've ordered a '22 Touring (one down from the BE) in Modern Steel Metallic (MSM) and currently waiting for delivery. ETA end of August. Well as it turns out, there are two of these vehicles within 1hr of my house so I went and had a look in person. My first reaction in person? Meh. It just didn't grab my wallet and say take me home.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

I've considered the other RL colours but keep coming back to the MSM for various reasons.

So, what can I do to add a little pizzazz to the MSM RL? I ain't buying wheels but open to pin stripes or something to give a bit of flash.

Photos? Suggestions?

Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
To me, conservative colors like MSM (I had an Accord in that color) and Lunar Silver always look good whether clean or dirty but they never pop like Black White or Red. To make it yours the areas that most folks go after are the wheels, dipping, tinting and maybe some lighting accents in the grille but it's tough to make it all work tastefully without making it look boy-racer. Stance can totally change the look of a vehicle but again that's not easy to pull off and I believe the RL's had the wheels pushed out a little for the 21's? It's funny how some colors look better on some vehicles more than others.

#6 ·
I just got my 22 rtl in msm and love it. I haven’t done anything crazy to it yet. Exterior wise just a hefty graphene sealant and every surface shy of the undercarriage and headliner are coated. Rain visors and I had the front windows tinted a few weeks ago. My only gripe is the chrome. I don’t like it and never will. Here’s a shot after I just washed it a few hours ago.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#7 ·
Silver and Greys to me have always been dead emotionally TO ME... Im an off white kind of guy.. I judge a color by its emotion it gives me.. Do I like it when I first wake up? Do i like it when I dont feel good? If its nice then, its nice when I feel great! The off white Honda has for this G2 is gorgeous.. I would be very happy with that.

#10 ·
I love that color. It always looks sophisticated and classy, especially in the moonlight. We have owned plenty of dark gray vehicles, so I chose another color.

Reactions: Mjrchaos and lbjgh
#12 ·
My first reaction in person? Meh... So, what can I do to add a little pizzazz to the MSM RL? I ain't buying wheels but open to pin stripes or something to give a bit of flash.
It's subjective. There are a lot of people that like MSM (it's a grey color that takes on slightly different hues in different lighting). There are a lot of people that hate pinstripes and thinks they're outdated and belong in the 70's. I fall into both these categories.

So given you don't like MSM but do like pinstripes, you don't want to take advice from me. It sounds like you might be more suited to a nice beige colored truck with nice dark brown pinstripes. Pair that with a nice pair of flares and you'll be all set :).

#13 ·
To me it's like gray skies. Okay for awhile but then it gets old. However, lime green pin stripes and naked lady mud flaps would give it some pizzazz.

#17 ·
@$60k Canadian I'm not looking to spend a lot to change the look. At this point I'm leaning towards vinyl wrapping the chrome black. I did some research and yellow if you can believe Is suppose to be an accent color for grey... That ain't going to happen.

Reactions: Mjrchaos
#18 ·
I had a ‘21 CRV in this color. I initially liked it, until I realized it looked purple in certain light. I’ve always been more of a fan of red. I got used to it, but took advantage of the current trade in values and am much happier with red again. To each their own, but it wasn’t for me. For what it’s worth, the chrome on the MSM didn’t bother me as much as it did on my red truck. I had no choice but to remove all of it.

#19 ·
MY 2017 was Modern Steel Metallic, because I couldn't find a black RTL-E that wasn't a black edition, and Metallic paint jobs hide a lot of scratches, the problem was/is Honda's metallic paints aren't very metallic so they don't pop and in turn kind of look ho-hum. I lived with it for a little over 3 years and really didn't think much of it until I got my 2020 in the black I wanted, which still isn't a great black, but I love it so much more, especially when it's clean.

I have no idea why most of Honda's colors are kind of lack luster but they are, even something as basic as black or white can make a huge difference, ever notice some manufacture's paint colors just pop and others look boring. Anyway, yes the Modern Steel isn't a head turner in my opinion but it's not offensive either.

as an aside, The best head turning combo (in my opinion) is a red RTL-E that has all the chrome replaced with black, but I do love my black with chrome to give it some contrast

Wheel Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle

#27 ·
We have a MSM Odyssey. It’s not an eye-catching color but it never looks bad even when dirty. We only wash the outside of ours a couple times a year and usually let God take care of it when it rains. Barely looks different regardless if clean or dirty.

Not sure if this is an attribute or demerit. I guess it depends on your perspective. ;)

I had one gray vehicle - a 1990 Ford Tempo which was even less exciting than sleeping on a cold, dreary day during a power failure...
With that thumpin’ HSC engine under the hood, how much more excitement did you really need?
Steve

#28 ·
There is one "gray" that I'd probably be happy with (and almost bought before I ended up with another white Ridgeline) and that's Pacific Pewter Metallic (sort of a brown-gold-green flavored gray). In certain light, it reminds me of Mocha Metallic that had a short run in the first generation Ridgeline.

#30 ·
I have a ‘22 Black Edition in Sonic Grey Pearl and like it a lot. Looks clean longer and changes color with different lighting. I had a ‘21 RL in Silver with Black HPD wheels and loved it but a crash in January ended that. I had a ‘18 RLE in MSM and didn’t like it. Too dark to accentuate black trim and showed dirt. I would have bought Silver again but I was told they weren’t making more ‘22’s in Silver.
I’ve never had a complete stranger comment on my truck color until Sonic Grey Pearl and it’s now happened 3 times in the first 2 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.