Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2022 Ridgeline parking brake location

Tags
brake
12K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 ·
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on buying a new Ridgeline Touring, which I think is the equivalent of the RTL-E trim here, north of the border. I test drove one yesterday and loved it, except for one irritating thing... why did Honda choose to use the 70's style footbrake, instead of a nice discrete electric brake? Just a minor irritation on my part, but curious if anyone else feels like that, and more importantly, has anyone found it gets in their way when driving or exiting the truck?

#6 ·
I’ve had the electric handbrake In the 2018 Civic and 2020 CRV and I’ll say I prefer the foot brake in the Ridgeline. With the foot brake I know when it is on/off, no waiting for it to engage or pushing the button the wrong way multiple times because I can never remember if I need to push or pull the toggle to dis-engage the brake.
I cannot agree with this more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Plus one on the hand brake/release. Ixnay on the E-brake. Heaven help you if the battery fails when the E-brake has been engaged.

#13 ·
I prefer the footbrake. My wife's car is a standard (Mazda 3) and when I drive it, I always pull up on the hand brake further than she does so she has a hard time releasing it and sometimes I have to release it for her. No issues with the foot brake :)

#14 ·
I prefer the footbrake. I had a manual transmission Subaru with the electric parking brake. It had great auto-releasing and an angle-sensing auto-application hill-holding feature that made it very easy to get started or parallel park on a hill. Took a while to get used to and trust, but it was nice with the manual. It also got recalled twice, was quite noisy, confused anyone new to driving the car, was in a lousy location, and lacked any finesse (it's either on or off, and doesn't work without the ignition on).

#17 ·
Hand brake in the console takes up valuable console real estate.
Be careful what you ask for……as far ebrake.…….Complexity, service problems, effectiveness issues.

Which brings up the question ……..how many drivers actually use the parking brake ?
Studies show less than 5% of automatic transmission drivers use the parking brake. Manual transmission usage is higher.

#21 ·
I actually use the parking brake all the time... except when I park in my garage. I don't like having the transmission resting on the parking pawl.

#24 ·
I prefer the handbrake because it allows me greater control of the e-braking process, should I need it. It's hard to modulate the foot brake that needs a hard press to engage and a harder press to disengage (my Pilot). My Ridgeline at least has a hand release of the footbrake, but I still have to reach down and find the handle to release it which is not as convenient as a handbrake would be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.