Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2022 RTL with now 7000 miles of driving experience in ECO mode highway driving with very few stop and goes my actual actual fuel economy is only about 21 mpg, about 3 mpg less that the 24 mpg EPA rating. What might be wrong with my RTL?

As a comparison, I also have a 2019 Genesis 3.8L AWD with a 25 mpg highway EPA rating. I have been averaging about 26.5 mpg in that vehicle - about 1.5 mpg better than the EPA rating.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2022 RTL with now 7000 miles of driving experience in ECO mode highway driving with very few stop and goes my actual actual fuel economy is only about 21 mpg, about 3 mpg less that the 24 mpg EPA rating. What might be wrong with my RTL?

As a comparison, I also have a 2019 Genesis 3.8L AWD with a 25 mpg highway EPA rating. I have been averaging about 26.5 mpg in that vehicle - about 1.5 mpg better than the EPA rating.
I have a 21 Sport with just under 20,000 miles and on highway trips gets 23ish MPG. Around town I am lucky to get 16ishMPG. Give it a little more time. My mileage went up as the engine got more miles on it, and the oil was changed a couple of times. When I first got it was at 20, then took several long trips and it went up on every trip. Always in ECO and wife has control of HVAC. When we were in Colorado and New Mexico mountains we got 27ish. Don't understand it, just know it happened!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Speed matters as the aerodynamics (Drag CD) are not very good. On Interstate I get about 22 -23 depending on my speed. On 2 lanes at speeds of 55-60 I get around 25ish. It's a fairly heavy vehicle so that is a factor too. I believe EPA estimates are at a lower speed than most people drive. MPG's have increased some as I get more mileage on the engine (currently about 6,200 miles). I also calculate mileage as the computer is usually 1.5 - 2.5 mpg optimistic.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline Black Edition
17 Posts
In my 2019 Black Edition, I do mostly highway driving and average around 23.8 MPG.

Reactions: Lucky Jack

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
301 Posts
Fuel economy of my own '17 RL is it's behaving similar to the more recent past Honda products I've owned. It took a good 10-15K miles and a couple oil changes before it loosened up & ran with better economy. It also seems to be sensitive to temperatures and fuel blends, with cold weather seasons and winter fuel blends having a significant impact. Mine has delivered as high as 28 mpg over a long road trip, but the conditions were prime. Usually see 24-25 as more common, which is a couple mpg less that the 4-banger CRV on comparable trips.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got a 2022 RTL made in January 2022 and with only 800 miles on it, I have been getting about 20 around town and about 24-25mpg on not too hilly roads with little traffic at speeds between 55-65. At 70mph on the Interstate, I am getting right on 24mpg and of course the engine is not fully broken in yet. I painstakingly broke in the truck for the first 600 miles varying my speeds and acceleration all over the place and did not use the cruise control until I had the 600 miles on the odometer. I make sure that my tires are exactly aired up to the truck's specifications of 35psi when cold. With all of the frontal area of the newest design, I notice that the mileage is fairly significantly affected by the prevailing winds. Head winds really hammer the mpg's. I should mention that I live in Florida where we do not have Winter fuel blends and the temperatures are significantly more moderate/less harsh than a great many parts of the country where RL's operate. I am sure that because I don't live in a crowded metropolitan area of the State that my mileage will be significantly better than those driving under more complex conditions. BTW, I do compare the calculated vs. computer generated MPG figures and for the most part, there is not a significant discrepancy because of my relatively flat roads and mild driving conditions.

·
Registered
21 RL RTL-E Silver
385 Posts
There are many factors in play.
  • Road conditions (hilly, flat,etc)
  • Cargo
  • Driving style
  • The weather has a big impact too. Things like wind, temperature, humidity, barometric pressure, etc.
  • Altitude.
  • Winter gas is a poor performance.

If all the things above are in your favor you will see better MPGs.

21mpg is about right for RL. Just enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,544 Posts
As mentioned above, cold temps and winter blend gas can impact MPG significantly. In my commute to work, my summertime average was 21-22mpg, and my wintertime average has been around 18MPG when below 20°F.

Idling time will also significantly cut into the MPG, more than you might think.

My MPG improved somewhat after I got about 5000 miles on the truck.

·
Banned
2022 Sport "Strippie" Grand Piano Black
98 Posts
On my 2021 RTL-E, almost all highway, econ on, 72 to 77 MPH, I am getting 21.5 at best. I am a smooth driver, no rapid starts/stops. I am also disappointed.
Lots and lots of factors, but wind drag, and then tires are up there on the list. I have a new 2022 Sport, and the Michelin Defender tires look a little aggressive. I'm getting 20 average on back roads with some 4-way stops. Highway I think I got 25 on the way home from the dealership. With my 2019 Accord it averaged about 33 or 34 when I first got it, but then after about 35,000 miles it shot up to 37.5 average and even got 45 mpg once on a 200 mile trip to Northern Michigan. So it was either the engine, or tires breaking in, or both. And was summertime. I also put a few bottles of Techron in the tank every 5000 miles. Maybe that helped keep the injectors clean.

But the Ridgeline is a guzzler in comparison. Just a much thirstier engine, heavier vehicle, and not near as aerodynamic. I miss the MPG's on the Accord. But I don't miss feeling stiff when getting out of the Accord.

Give it time for everything to break in. And if anyone has experience with different tires that increase or decrease MPG's I'd like to hear about it. I don't need aggressive tread tires here in Southern Michigan. But they are all-season tires, the Michelins, so I don't know how much of a difference other tires would make. Also I think Econ mode doesn't do much. Driving it easy is the same thing really.

·
Registered
29 Posts
About a year ago I read an article that said your fuel consumption rises exponentially the more you exceed 55 mph. Just now I read that a brand new pickup rated for 25 mpg @ 55 mph can expect the mpg to drop to about 19 when driving 75 mph.

I have a '22 BE with about 2800 miles on it and I am only getting about 16.5 mpg. I'm in Canada so I'm going to blame it on the cold weather, far too much idle time warming it up, and mostly short city trips. I expect things to improve in the summer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got my 2022 RTL-E two weeks ago. I just had knee surgery, so I’m off work for 3 weeks.

I just filled up the first tank, and the computer told me I averaged 20.9. I thought that was pretty good for 50/50 city/hwy on winter gas E-10.

my last car was a 2018 Acura TLX Sh-AWD. In 4 years it average 29 mpg 80/20 hwy to city,on pure gas (non-ethanol) I was spoiled that there was a gas station that sold premium non-ethanol gas for the same price that the other station sold 91 E-10 gas.

I have an App to track my MPGs. I don’t trust the car computer. My other last car was a 2016 Highlander that got 24 mpg.

I don’t plan on putting 91non ethanol in my new RL, as the price hike is 45 cents more. I did not think the math savings will add up. I use non- ethanol gas in my grandpa’s ‘83 Dodge truck, ‘73 Vette, mower, and all my tools. Corn is so bad for small engines & old engines.
I drive like an old man, so I hope to average 24-25 mpg when I get back to driving 30 miles to work.
I bought my RL as an early retirement gift to drivmy kids to school in the Fall. I love the smooth ride & rear seat leg room. No Taco can compete with that! I had no need for a full size truck as my ‘83 Dodge has an 8” bed.
This is my 4th Honda, and last on for a good 10 tens (I hope!)

I love everything about my RL. I really enjoy reading up on the RL on this site!

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
327 Posts
I second to the Winter Blend really dropping MPG, although I have no way to scientifically measure it from my house to the office 80hwy/20city (20 miles) I would get around 29~31mpg on the trips computer( slightly downhill)
then around late November is about 27mpg on the same route ( realistically -2 mpg, computer is optimistic)

Factors into hand calculated fill up of 21-22 mpg on summer blend and 19-20 MPG on winter stuff

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Our two early 70's pickups, which are approximately the same size as our Ridgeline, make 10-12 MPG, we are very content with our Ridgelines fuel mileage of over double these figures! ;)

Bill

1 - 20 of 53 Posts