Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 2022 RTL with now 7000 miles of driving experience in ECO mode highway driving with very few stop and goes my actual actual fuel economy is only about 21 mpg, about 3 mpg less that the 24 mpg EPA rating. What might be wrong with my RTL?

As a comparison, I also have a 2019 Genesis 3.8L AWD with a 25 mpg highway EPA rating. I have been averaging about 26.5 mpg in that vehicle - about 1.5 mpg better than the EPA rating.
Ei will try
My 2022 RTL with now 7000 miles of driving experience in ECO mode highway driving with very few stop and goes my actual actual fuel economy is only about 21 mpg, about 3 mpg less that the 24 mpg EPA rating. What might be wrong with my RTL?

As a comparison, I also have a 2019 Genesis 3.8L AWD with a 25 mpg highway EPA rating. I have been averaging about 26.5 mpg in that vehicle - about 1.5 mpg better than the EPA rating.
I will try to offer a few observations, most of which are similar to what others have said here. First, EPA mileage is probably worth comparing on similar vehicles, but your Genesis is quite different from your RL, especially when it comes to aero drag. It may be the Genesis actually gets better mileage at higher than EPA test speeds. Some cars do. Trucks are high drag, and increasing speed increases drag more than you might think. Driving at 70 mph creates 30% more drag than driving at 65. If the engine and drive train are equally efficient at both speeds, then drag alone could reduce your mileage by 3 mpg.
Second, there is one little thing that can improve efficiency. When driving in light traffic at moderate to high speeds, looking way ahead and lifting your gas foot as soon as it looks like traffic is slowing or a light is turning red can save about a mile per gallon - at least, it does for me. It will also reduce brake wear. I just sold a truck with 177,000 miles on it that still had 3/4 of the original rear brake shoes left and more than 1/2 the front pads, which I had replaced once.
Probably there is nothing wrong with your Ridgeline, and I bet if you drove any V8 truck, you’d be burning 30% more gas for the same trips. 21 mpg is pretty darn good for an AWD truck that can tow 5,000 lb and seat 4 or 5 people. My old V6 T100 only gave me 19 mpg with the same kind of driving where I am getting 22-24 mpg in my RL.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A chart I saw said the formula for wind resistance is Frontal Area x speed squared =R. So 60 mph would be 60 x 60= 3600. And 70x70 = 4900. And 75x75=5625.. And those numbers would be multiplied by the Frontal Area.

Driving into a head wind adds to the totals. ie at 60 mph, the addition of a10 mph headwind would be the same result as driving 70 in still air. A 10mph tailwind would bring the result to looking like going 50mph. So at 60mph a 10mph tail wind would decrease Wind resistance to be 2500. And a 10mph head wind would increase it to be 4900. Interesting is that a 10mph wind can double the resistance depending on its direction. The faster the wind, the more drastic the differences would be.

Brake usage is another mileage killer. Using the brake requires accelerating back to desired speed. Logic says that driving a constant speed will yield much better mileage than stopping several times. Also that red light up ahead might go green if we coast as much as possible using little gas, vs having to brake harder and burning gas where we could have been coasting. Tailgating requires gas and brake more than we think. That stop sign ain't going to change its mind. Coasting to it will save fuel, especially if there are cars already there. Like someone else pointed out, watch the car ahead. Leave enough distance to be able to coast rather than braking so much.

Then all we have to be concerned with, is load, tire resistance, and shape.
Trailer towing is another barrel of snakes.

Driving 100 miles at 22 mpg will cost $18.18 at $4 per gallon.
Driving 100 miles at 24 mpg will cost $16.66. at $4 per gallon.
A difference of $1.52. That be $15.20 to go 1000 miles. $152.00 for 10,000.

Where are our priorities will dictate our driving habits.

wind can double th
Kip, we must be brothers with a different mother.;) Excellent points and explanations.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Some folks commented that actual gas mileage is lower than what the computer in the truck says. I have been monitoring mine carefully, and after seven fill ups, the mpg I calculate using miles driven / gallons purchased is running between 3% and 4% lower than what the truck says. I also checked the accuracy of the odometer by watching the itover a 10.0 mile course on an interstate highway and found it was recording about 0.5% fewer miles than I was actually driving. (I have found the interstate mile markers to be very consistent except in Arkansas. The last time I checked my odometer there on I-40 and I-55, the accuracy varied up and down - clearly not a problem with the car.)
So, overall, I would say the mpg reported by the truck is around 3% more than actual.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Drove my brand new 2022 (less than 500 miles at the time) from Orlando to Stigler, OK (family emergency) and the dash computer said 24.3 mpg. Even if there is a bit of "Kentucky windage" in that reading I thought it was darn good with a brand new truck. No trailer, 150 lbs of luggage and two people and a soft tonneau cover. And NO Eco mode but with the AutoStop Eliminator installed. Prob an average of 65-70 mph the whole way.
The only way you will get better than that from a truck is with a hybrid or EV drive train. Awesome!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a weird experience with mileage issues a couple of days ago. I had about 50 miles on that tank and the indicated 'Range' was 381 miles. As I drove the elapsed odometer mileage climbed but the range didn't move off 381. After about 20 miles suddenly the range began dropping rapidly, about 5 miles per second: 380-375-370-365 etc. until it bottomed out around 200 miles of range left. And this is with over 3/4 tank left. After a couple of minutes the range popped back up over 300 to the correct setting. I don't know if this 'hiccup' is common, I have never seen it before but maybe it has done it in the past w/o me watching the instruments so closely. Not a concern to me, just an oddity.
Only two possible explanations that I can think of: gremlins under the hood or something goofy in the programming. You’re right - not a big deal but wierd.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can't get over 18mpg . Even going down hill. 2022 bought in march. Live in N J milage now 3,300
Complained to dealer said can't do anything. Very poor milage. Have to convince dealer to check all spec, trims with there computers.
Any ideas... other than trading in..
Alan, that just doesn’t sound right. Bought mine in March also, just passed 4,000 miles and averaging around 23 mph since I brought it home. How long are your trips? Mileage is definitely worse while it is warming up. I don’t get above 19 on a cold start trip until I am several miles from home. Most of my trips are moderate speed and 10 to 20 miles.
Have you considered buying a diagnostic tool (e.g. Blue Driver or similar?). I don’t know what it could tell you, but if a temperature sensor says the engine never warms up, it might cause excessive fuel usage. Old school, if you pull a plug and look at it, maybe it will look dark/black, which would be a sign of running too rich. If it is white or tan, it‘s good.
if the thermostat is stuck open, that would cause it to run cool. I am thinking eithera sensor somewhere is malfunctioning or something that affects temperature is malfunctioning. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2022 RTL-E at the beginning of September. First tank was awful at ~17mpg. Might be the grade of fuel the dealer put in.
After that did 21-22 eco mode or not on regular. Guess I have a light foot, tending to keep rpms <2K while accelerating.
Vehicle mpg is .5-1 optimistic over calculation.
My wife gets a solid 18-17 when she drives. Can't keep the pedal still. Surges almost as as much as the ACC does following another car.
I leave eco mode off now since the throttle map gets me in trouble if I have to punch it. Made my foot move too far when I drove her Ody.
Wish there was some way I could re-map the pedal curve.
What pressure y'all keeping your stock tires at?
i think you have the technique nailed. I try to do that most of the time and take my foot off tge gas long before I get to a light where I think it will turn red soon. I have averaged around 22 mpg (the car says 23, but my gas usage says 22) since I brought it home. I have noticed that the (nearly) instantaneous mpg gauge can be as high as 37.5if I am puttering along between 35 and 40 on level ground with no wind. Aero drag has a big effect on trucks.
I left my tires at 37 all around, they way they were from the dealership.
i tried Eco, but I can get the same mileage in standard if I just drive gently. Hopefully, you will get used to the pedal curve. Every car is different.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts