Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Registered
233 Posts
I had a weird experience with mileage issues a couple of days ago. I had about 50 miles on that tank and the indicated 'Range' was 381 miles. As I drove the elapsed odometer mileage climbed but the range didn't move off 381. After about 20 miles suddenly the range began dropping rapidly, about 5 miles per second: 380-375-370-365 etc. until it bottomed out around 200 miles of range left. And this is with over 3/4 tank left. After a couple of minutes the range popped back up over 300 to the correct setting. I don't know if this 'hiccup' is common, I have never seen it before but maybe it has done it in the past w/o me watching the instruments so closely. Not a concern to me, just an oddity.

· Registered
64 Posts
Drove my brand new 2022 (less than 500 miles at the time) from Orlando to Stigler, OK (family emergency) and the dash computer said 24.3 mpg. Even if there is a bit of "Kentucky windage" in that reading I thought it was darn good with a brand new truck. No trailer, 150 lbs of luggage and two people and a soft tonneau cover. And NO Eco mode but with the AutoStop Eliminator installed. Prob an average of 65-70 mph the whole way.
The only way you will get better than that from a truck is with a hybrid or EV drive train. Awesome!

· Registered
64 Posts
I had a weird experience with mileage issues a couple of days ago. I had about 50 miles on that tank and the indicated 'Range' was 381 miles. As I drove the elapsed odometer mileage climbed but the range didn't move off 381. After about 20 miles suddenly the range began dropping rapidly, about 5 miles per second: 380-375-370-365 etc. until it bottomed out around 200 miles of range left. And this is with over 3/4 tank left. After a couple of minutes the range popped back up over 300 to the correct setting. I don't know if this 'hiccup' is common, I have never seen it before but maybe it has done it in the past w/o me watching the instruments so closely. Not a concern to me, just an oddity.
Only two possible explanations that I can think of: gremlins under the hood or something goofy in the programming. You’re right - not a big deal but wierd.

· Registered
154 Posts
Fuel economy of my own '17 RL is it's behaving similar to the more recent past Honda products I've owned. It took a good 10-15K miles and a couple oil changes before it loosened up & ran with better economy. It also seems to be sensitive to temperatures and fuel blends, with cold weather seasons and winter fuel blends having a significant impact. Mine has delivered as high as 28 mpg over a long road trip, but the conditions were prime. Usually see 24-25 as more common, which is a couple mpg less that the 4-banger CRV on comparable trips.
I can't get over 18mpg . Even going down hill. 2022 bought in march. Live in N J milage now 3,300
Complained to dealer said can't do anything. Very poor milage. Have to convince dealer to check all spec, trims with there computers.
Any ideas... other than trading in..

· Registered
64 Posts
I can't get over 18mpg . Even going down hill. 2022 bought in march. Live in N J milage now 3,300
Complained to dealer said can't do anything. Very poor milage. Have to convince dealer to check all spec, trims with there computers.
Any ideas... other than trading in..
Alan, that just doesn’t sound right. Bought mine in March also, just passed 4,000 miles and averaging around 23 mph since I brought it home. How long are your trips? Mileage is definitely worse while it is warming up. I don’t get above 19 on a cold start trip until I am several miles from home. Most of my trips are moderate speed and 10 to 20 miles.
Have you considered buying a diagnostic tool (e.g. Blue Driver or similar?). I don’t know what it could tell you, but if a temperature sensor says the engine never warms up, it might cause excessive fuel usage. Old school, if you pull a plug and look at it, maybe it will look dark/black, which would be a sign of running too rich. If it is white or tan, it‘s good.
if the thermostat is stuck open, that would cause it to run cool. I am thinking eithera sensor somewhere is malfunctioning or something that affects temperature is malfunctioning. Good luck.

· Registered
19 Posts
Bought my 2021 RTL with 4,800 miles on it. I was very disappointed in the gas mileage at 22.3 mpg because my full sized F150 with eco-boost got about 24.1mpg. I expected a smaller truck with less power to be better. Both of these according to the readout. Both read a little higher than actual. Same route commuting to work.

But, to my pleasant surprise, it has gradually increased. Now at around 17.5k miles, I'm averaging about 24.3.
I'm comfortable with that.
Bill G.

· Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline Black edition
339 Posts
Im averaging 21.448 MPG in my 2017 black edition with 30.5inch tires and leveling kit + SVCM; not bad for the old 6spd.
at least from my experience cleaning the MAF sensor every couple months and running injector clean with premium fuel on longer trips helps to clean everything up. Along with 5k oil change plus 30k ATF and DIFF

· Registered
2022 RTL-E Radiant Red - LED update in work
18 Posts
2022 RTL-E at the beginning of September. First tank was awful at ~17mpg. Might be the grade of fuel the dealer put in.
After that did 21-22 eco mode or not on regular. Guess I have a light foot, tending to keep rpms <2K while accelerating.
Vehicle mpg is .5-1 optimistic over calculation.
My wife gets a solid 18-17 when she drives. Can't keep the pedal still. Surges almost as as much as the ACC does following another car.
I leave eco mode off now since the throttle map gets me in trouble if I have to punch it. Made my foot move too far when I drove her Ody.
Wish there was some way I could re-map the pedal curve.
What pressure y'all keeping your stock tires at?

· Registered
233 Posts
2022 RTL-E at the beginning of September. First tank was awful at ~17mpg. Might be the grade of fuel the dealer put in.
After that did 21-22 eco mode or not on regular. Guess I have a light foot, tending to keep rpms <2K while accelerating.
My wife gets a solid 18-17 when she drives. Can't keep the pedal still. Surges almost as as much as the ACC does following another car.
I leave eco mode off now since the throttle map gets me in trouble if I have to punch it. Made my foot move too far when I drove her Ody.
37 psi all around.

· Registered
64 Posts
i think you have the technique nailed. I try to do that most of the time and take my foot off tge gas long before I get to a light where I think it will turn red soon. I have averaged around 22 mpg (the car says 23, but my gas usage says 22) since I brought it home. I have noticed that the (nearly) instantaneous mpg gauge can be as high as 37.5if I am puttering along between 35 and 40 on level ground with no wind. Aero drag has a big effect on trucks.
I left my tires at 37 all around, they way they were from the dealership.
i tried Eco, but I can get the same mileage in standard if I just drive gently. Hopefully, you will get used to the pedal curve. Every car is different.

· Registered
2022 RTL-E Radiant Red - LED update in work
18 Posts
i think you have the technique nailed. I try to do that most of the time and take my foot off tge gas long before I get to a light where I think it will turn red soon. I have averaged around 22 mpg (the car says 23, but my gas usage says 22) since I brought it home. I have noticed that the (nearly) instantaneous mpg gauge can be as high as 37.5if I am puttering along between 35 and 40 on level ground with no wind. Aero drag has a big effect on trucks.
I left my tires at 37 all around, they way they were from the dealership.
i tried Eco, but I can get the same mileage in standard if I just drive gently. Hopefully, you will get used to the pedal curve. Every car is different.
Curious to know how the pedal position/force is mapped for the two modes.
Is it just directly to throttle opening, rpm's, manifold pressure, or some other calculated target?
I'd have to check if my ODB scanner can chart all those to see what the relationship is.
I could probably figure this out with the service manual.
There doesn't seem to be any sort of off-line version though.
Anyone happen to know what type of sensor is used for throttle and brake?

· Registered
60 Posts
On my 22 RTL-E, 3200 miles now, eco button off, auto stop-start off. I've taken 2 long highway trips of ~800 and ~500 miles averaging 75MPH. The rest has been a mix around town between 40-55 MPH and about half on local freeways ~70 MPH. Limited putting around town slow, but some. Averaging 23.5MPG overall for those 3200 miles. Very happy with that. Came from a Lexus GX 460 that averaged 16MPG. Greatly miss that truck overall but not the mileage.

On my long trips where I was mostly cruising on the highway, I was getting 27MPG!

· Registered
154 Posts
My 2022 RTL with now 7000 miles of driving experience in ECO mode highway driving with very few stop and goes my actual actual fuel economy is only about 21 mpg, about 3 mpg less that the 24 mpg EPA rating. What might be wrong with my RTL?

As a comparison, I also have a 2019 Genesis 3.8L AWD with a 25 mpg highway EPA rating. I have been averaging about 26.5 mpg in that vehicle - about 1.5 mpg better than the EPA rating.
I have same complaint ,but I only get 19..to 20 mpg. Dealer said I'm lucky to get that. I said someone lying..

· Registered
186 Posts
I have never ever seen a vehicle get what the manufacturer advertises. They test at levels we as real drivers never would duplicate. I am a brand new Ridgeline owner and bought mine 200 miles away. With 5 miles on the odometer when I left dealership I filled it up when I arrived at my hometown. Had cruise set at 78 MPH basically all the way home on interstate- I got right 20 MPG…. More than happy with that.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,743 Posts
I have never ever seen a vehicle get what the manufacturer advertises. They test at levels we as real drivers never would duplicate. I am a brand new Ridgeline owner and bought mine 200 miles away. With 5 miles on the odometer when I left dealership I filled it up when I arrived at my hometown. Had cruise set at 78 MPH basically all the way home on interstate- I got right 20 MPG…. More than happy with that.
My '02 Accord always did much better than the EPA numbers, but that was back when Honda made Hondas.

· Registered
223 Posts
I have 13K on the same vehicle. I get around 23 on mainly highway when calculated by hand. A couple of things that may make a difference for you... If you drive gently it may take longer to break-in. Speeds over 62 MPH knock to mpg down due to wind drag. I notice improved mileage when I turn the A/C off. The compressor runs in the auto mode for better control of temp and humidity and puts a bit of drag on the engine.

· Registered
186 Posts
I have 13K on the same vehicle. I get around 23 on mainly highway when calculated by hand. A couple of things that may make a difference for you... If you drive gently it may take longer to break-in. Speeds over 62 MPH knock to mpg down due to wind drag. I notice improved mileage when I turn the A/C off. The compressor runs in the auto mode for better control of temp and humidity and puts a bit of drag on the engine.
Who drives 62 and below on the highway? AC is meant to be used if uncomfortably hot. Around here speed limit is 70-75 on most highways. You would be creating a hazard and irritating a lot of drivers. I am sure if you drive 55 you would get ~30 MPG-JMHO

· Registered
223 Posts
Who drives 62 and below on the highway? AC is meant to be used if uncomfortably hot. Around here speed limit is 70-75 on most highways. You would be creating a hazard and irritating a lot of drivers. I am sure if you drive 55 you would get ~30 MPG-JMHO
Drive however you want friend. OP was concerned about MPG, just shared some observations

41 - 60 of 80 Posts