Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the VCM Muzzler 2 deactivate the Idle/Stop feature ?

The following is from the 2021 owner’s manual.
“■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:
• The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.”

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I don’t believe any VCM disabler has anything to do with Idle Stop……two completely different things.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
303 Posts
Does the VCM Muzzler 2 deactivate the Idle/Stop feature ?

The following is from the 2021 owner’s manual.
“■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:
• The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.”
Or drive in Sequential (S) mode. That disables it. As does using the defroster in winter.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Again, the two are unrelated…..neither affects the other.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, the two are unrelated…..neither affects the other.
The reason I asked the question is that the VCM TUNER2 sends a false lower temperature to deactivate VCM . VCM only works when the engine reaches normal operating temperature . The same is stated for Auto Idle Stop - see 1st post. Therefore, I think it is reasonable to think that Idle Stop might be deactivated also. That’s why I asked.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
VCM occurs/deactivates 3 cylinders only at and above 30 mph, depending on driving conditions. Cylinders are not always deactivated just because 30 mph has been reached. 30 mph is just one of the parameters in which VCM may activate. One of the parameters of Idle stop is the vehicle must be stopped.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But, a parameter that causes each to not activate is below or above (not sure of the “above“ with VCM) normal coolant temperature. VCMUZZLER is sending a false coolant temperature that deactivates VCM regardless or speed, engine load, etc. So, since Idle Stop is prohibited with a low engine coolant temperature also, this still seems a valid question. Of course, the threshold temperatures are the determinate and if the VCM temperature output is the same that Idle Stop is using. I suspect it is.
You’re saying they are not related; but from what I’m reading, they seem to be related. Please explain.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I see VCM activate (when I rarely have it enabled) at 160F ECT and 160F ECT is when the factory temp needle stops moving up. 160F ECT is certainly approaching normal operating temp but is also some 20+ degrees below the normal ECT range. The only relationship I can see is 160F ECT. After that, one requires vehicle movement, the other requires no movement, to be very simplistic.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
7,031 Posts
If I actually took the time to install the VCM Muzzler in my 2021, I could answer that question fairly quickly. Your premise seems plausible, as I think my 2017 ran at 162 degrees (or 168 - can't recall) with the VCM Muzzler installed. That lower number might be close enough to prevent the idle/stop feature from activating.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m getting my 2022 RTL-E this afternoon. I’ve removed the VCMuzzler from my ‘17 and will put it on the ‘22 likely tomorrow. Then we’ll know.:)

Reactions: Ron_2019_Ridgeline

·
Registered
2019 RTL awd
209 Posts
If I actually took the time to install the VCM Muzzler in my 2021, I could answer that question fairly quickly. Your premise seems plausible, as I think my 2017 ran at 162 degrees (or 168 - can't recall) with the VCM Muzzler installed. That lower number might be close enough to prevent the idle/stop feature from activating.
My VCM Tuner 2 keeps the temperature at rock steady 161 once up to operating temp.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The VCMTuner II keeps a code reader, via the OBD-II port, displaying 161F-163F. The t-stat and driving conditions keep actual ECT in a 180F-205F “range”.

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The VCMTuner II keeps a code reader, via the OBD-II port, displaying 161F-163F. The t-stat and driving conditions keep actual ECT in a 180F-205F “range”.
Agree and understand. What does the vehicle use for it’s temp source to control whether or not Idle Stop is activated/inactivated?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
You would need to consult Honda as to what they use as a temp source for Idle/Stop. You would also need to consult Honda as to how they define low/high coolant temp.

On a side note, the vehicle enters “closed loop” within seconds after a cold start due mainly to electrically heated O2s. ECT is nowhere near so called “normal operating temp” seconds after cold start so would Idle/Stop become operational when the system enters “closed loop”?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good question and I await an answer. Closed loop just means running off the sensors, the ECT being one of them. Reaching normal operating temp is the question here, so does the VCM use the same sensor and threshold temp as the start stop?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If not for sensors, what else is going to close the loop?……the point manufacturers strive to reach ASAP.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeh, but getting to closed loop is about running efficiently ASAP, I though it was established that the start/stop was disabled until normal operating temp is achieved, hence the OP's original question

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The loop closes when the O2 sensors are hot enough to signal the system to run/operate lean and clean. Again, seconds after engine start. Absolutely no need for coolant temp to reach 180F in order for the motor to run lean and clean and monitoring open/closed loop verifies this.

So……..what is the Idle/Stop magic temp number?…….🤷‍♂️, but the only reason I can see is, the heater does not work when the motor is off or the system would possibly be in open loop, which I doubt.

T-stat determines minimum so-called operating temp. That’s it’s sole function.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Tomorrow, we’ll know.
2022 RTL-E and 2017 RTL-E White/Beige each/both. Removed the VCMuzzler yesterday, Carvana gets the 2017 tomorrow. I got the 2022 today. Tomorrow, the 2022 will have the VCMuzzler.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Monitor temps and post, please. Congrats on the ‘22👍👍…..you may be the 1st here to get one.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts