Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ridgeline is in the body shop getting some hail damage fixed. I got the Silverado as a loaner during the repair. It only had 48 miles on it, I thought it would be a good to try something different and be able to do truck like things during the repair despite some out of pocket cost for the upgrade.

The engine 2.7T has a rating of 310 HP and 420 ft/pds of torque and is mated to an 8-spd auto tranny. The turbo brings on most of the torque at 1500 RPM and remains flat up to over 4000 RPM. This provides a very different driving experience from the RL. Mainly, it can bin your ears back when taking off. I needed to get out into traffic shortly after I picked it up and was very surprised how easy it was to break the rear wheels loose. Now I put it in Auto 4WD in such situations. Also, It doesn't need to downshift when driving through the hilly country. Climbs that would require the RL to exceed 4000 RPM to maintain speed are done under 2000 RPM in this vehicle. It gets most of its work done well below 2000 rpm and gets a bit over 20 mpg on long drives in the country and over 18 around town.

I would not want to trade my RL for this truck however. I don't really trust GM to make a turbo engine that will be trouble free for 250,000 miles. The truck is way to big for my needs and is not easy to navigate in tight quarters or park in typical lots. While the torque is nice, I'm sure the RL would beat it in a drag race as the 310 HP in a truck as large as this Silverado is not a lot.

What I did want to share is how well Turbo boosting can work in a truck engine, wish Honda would make a well designed turbo for the RL. It would be great for towing, while I'm sure higher revs are not a problem for the current Honda engine, I do find the lower rpm operation to be more relaxing.

·
Administrator
24,264 Posts
A friend of mine bought a new all-black GMC Sierra Elevation with the 2.7T a couple of months ago. It's somewhat sinister looking and intimidating...until you hear the 4-cylinder starting and exhaust sounds from the outside - it reminds me of a husky prepubescent football player whose voice hasn't dropped yet. This is definitely not a vehicle you'd want to put a louder exhaust system on.:)

Gobs of effortless torque, though - very confidence-inspiring.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,713 Posts
A friend of mine bought a new all-black GMC Sierra Elevation with the 2.7T a couple of months ago. It's somewhat sinister looking and intimidating...until you hear the 4-cylinder starting and exhaust sounds from the outside - it reminds me of a husky prepubescent football player whose voice hasn't dropped yet. This is definitely not a vehicle you'd want to put a louder exhaust system on.:)

Gobs of effortless torque, though - very confidence-inspiring.
Needs one of these new Borla exhausts:

I actually had this idea a couple decades ago, but mine would have had a synthesized digital output based on engine revs, along with DSP utilizing a multi-band equalizer and presets of course. ;)

·
Registered
944 Posts
This provides a very different driving experience from the RL. Mainly, it can bin your ears back when taking off.
It gets most of its work done well below 2000 rpm and gets a bit over 20 mpg on long drives in the country and over 18 around town.
According to testing, the Chevy is slower than the Ridgeline on most metrics: 0-60 MPH, 5-60 MPH, 1/4 Mile.
The Chevy does hold a 0.2 second advantage on 30-50 MPH, while tying the Ridgeline on 50-70 MPH.

Observed fuel economy is 3 MPG lower for the Chevy, while real-world 75 MPH highway fuel economy is 8 MPG lower.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,472 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Ridgeline is in the body shop getting some hail damage fixed. I got the Silverado as a loaner during the repair. It only had 48 miles on it, I thought it would be a good to try something different and be able to do truck like things during the repair despite some out of pocket cost for the upgrade.

The engine 2.7T has a rating of 310 HP and 420 ft/pds of torque and is mated to an 8-spd auto tranny. The turbo brings on most of the torque at 1500 RPM and remains flat up to over 4000 RPM. This provides a very different driving experience from the RL. Mainly, it can bin your ears back when taking off. I needed to get out into traffic shortly after I picked it up and was very surprised how easy it was to break the rear wheels loose. Now I put it in Auto 4WD in such situations. Also, It doesn't need to downshift when driving through the hilly country. Climbs that would require the RL to exceed 4000 RPM to maintain speed are done under 2000 RPM in this vehicle. It gets most of its work done well below 2000 rpm and gets a bit over 20 mpg on long drives in the country and over 18 around town.

I would not want to trade my RL for this truck however. I don't really trust GM to make a turbo engine that will be trouble free for 250,000 miles. The truck is way to big for my needs and is not easy to navigate in tight quarters or park in typical lots. While the torque is nice, I'm sure the RL would beat it in a drag race as the 310 HP in a truck as large as this Silverado is not a lot.

What I did want to share is how well Turbo boosting can work in a truck engine, wish Honda would make a well designed turbo for the RL. It would be great for towing, while I'm sure higher revs are not a problem for the current Honda engine, I do find the lower rpm operation to be more relaxing.
Learn from my mistakes, don't every buy a GM or sell it before the warranty is up.

·
Registered
We have 3 RTL-E's, a '22, '20 and '17
109 Posts
I've been consistently owning/driving Chevy Silverado 1500 - 3500 C & K pickups since the mid-1980's and they've overall been very reliable for me, going a quarter-million miles before I sold them (still running).

The refreshed 2022's are very nice and comfortable to drive when not blinged out with 22" rims.

I've been eyeballing a new Denali 1500 with the 6.2L gasser, but I figure with 40,000 (or more) 2022 c/k1500's alone still waiting to be shipped out to dealers, I figure (the 2022's) will be deeply discounted come this cold Feb or March when sitting next to the 2023's that are already on the dealer's lots (y)

·
Super Moderator
24,472 Posts
That 2.7T has some known issues most of them related to cylinder deactivation.
Ah, VCM (in another form) rears its ugly head again.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I hope to never have to deal with turbos during the rest of my driving lifespan, even the new Toyota twin turbo V-6 came out of the chocks with wastegate probelms requiring a cab lift to address. Not worth the complication to me for benefits I won't appreciate.

·
Administrator
24,264 Posts
I remember the first turbocharged vehicle I ever drove - a friend's Chrysler Conquest (Mitsubishi Starion). By modern standards, it was awful. It literally took seconds for the turbo to spin up and start creating boost and it always seemed unpredictable. When boost came on it was sudden and dramatic. At every shift, the car would suddenly switch from underpowered to overpowered making it difficult to control and drive smoothly.

·
Registered
2020 RTL AWD
28 Posts
Before our Ridgeline I had a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost. It was a blast to drive and I got 24mpg in Eco mode when commuting. But with the pandemic we no longer needed 2 vehicles, my wife refused to drive it, so I sold it to givemethevin for more than I owed, sold the wife's little SUV and got the 2020 Ridgeline.
We both love driving it and it's been used like the truck it is: hauling trash and yard debris to the dump and have had 10+ sheet of plywood and tons of other stuff from HD/Lowe's for home projects. It's also been to FL and back 5 times, averaging 28.1mpg on one return trip to VA.

Great vehicle!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,834 Posts
I hope to never have to deal with turbos during the rest of my driving lifespan, even the new Toyota twin turbo V-6 came out of the chocks with wastegate probelms requiring a cab lift to address. Not worth the complication to me for benefits I won't appreciate.
We read all those reports and saw all the videos here on the ROC, but things must have died down over at Toyota, because no one has mentioned the failures on the new Tundra for quite awhile.

·
Super Moderator
24,472 Posts
So far in the couple years we've had the 2016 WRX, it has been an absolute delight to drive. And pretty economical if you keep your foot out of the turbo. Nothing but fluids and filter changes so far (and a battery and tires). Coming up on 52k miles and an oil and filter change, along with a tire rotation and brake pad check.

I had a 1984 (86?) Mercedes 300D and that was an impressive 5 cylinder turbo'd diesel, but it had no guts below 2000 rpm but then took off like a rocket. No issues with that one either in the couple years I had it.

My son has a 2011 F150 with the ecoBoost V6 turbo and with well over 170k miles, it runs like a champ. I was quite impressed with it when I drove it recently, and he pulls a twin axle camper all over the east coast with it.

YMMV and all that, as usual.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
So far in the couple years we've had the 2016 WRX, it has been an absolute delight to drive. And pretty economical if you keep your foot out of the turbo. Nothing but fluids and filter changes so far (and a battery and tires). Coming up on 52k miles and an oil and filter change, along with a tire rotation and brake pad check.

I had a 1984 (86?) Mercedes 300D and that was an impressive 5 cylinder turbo'd diesel, but it had no guts below 2000 rpm but then took off like a rocket. No issues with that one either in the couple years I had it.

My son has a 2011 F150 with the ecoBoost V6 turbo and with well over 170k miles, it runs like a champ. I was quite impressed with it when I drove it recently, and he pulls a twin axle camper all over the east coast with it.

YMMV and all that, as usual.
My son in law - truly a "car guy" - bought a 2014 WRX new, and it's been great. That turbo can push you back in the seat a little, and as you also have experienced, his has been trouble-free. And the four doors make it pretty darn practical as well.

He'd like to have a truck, particularly the F150 with the 2.7 turbo. He likes my Ridgeline, but has two young kids - so two car seats - and is about 6'6", and the big cabin of the Ford would be beneficial him & family.

·
Registered
2020 RTL AWD
28 Posts
@Pleease check out the FordTechMakuloco YouTube channel for some great info on the EcoBoost engines. That crew can is ridiculously roomy. I'm not 6' 6", but I could sleep in the back seat and actually did on the trip back from my son's wedding in FL.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Per Sarah, not very high rating on the bean scale, but torque for days when climbing. Engine sounded good when working hard, not good otherwise. Again, not an advocate for this vehicle, I couldn't walk around it when it was parked in the garage, just found it interesting to see the length that companies go to get a good balance of MPG and performance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts