Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was pretty much sold on the RL but the redesigned '23 Canyon definitely has my attention. 2.7L turbo 4 cyl, 310 hp, greatly improved interior & tech, and it just looks cool. Two very different trucks, I realize, and every vehicle is a compromise of some sort, but wondering if the new Canyon may have enough added comfort & tech to tip me in that direction.

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,959 Posts
Would need to take a test drive.

I think IRS and coil springs will be needed to even get into the neighborhood of the Ridgeline's ride. Body-on-frame can certainly isolate the cabin from the road better for perhaps a quieter ride, but those secondary oscillations from the rubber mounts between the cab and frame will be very hard to engineer out of the design.

Maybe some crafty NVH tech to cancel out those vibrations, but we will see that first on the full-size trucks that have a high ROI for the mfr.

As for the engine, that does look pretty sweet. It would be nice if Honda would offer their 2.0T four as an option on the G3 Ridgeline.

· Registered
3,712 Posts
The RL is long in the tooth now but the competition has a long way to come up so we'll see if the RL is even behind. Unfortunately, the Colorado doesn't have an extended cab anymore but my daughter works at GM and probably won't talk to me again if I don't get a GM something which would have to be a truck or an EV. The Canyon has LED headlights on all trims but again, it remans to be seen how they perform, so that's years away. The one I want to see is the new Taco as I'd like to be exclusively Toyota. I I've come to conclusion that I need a Hybrid Suv and a work truck. The is no midsize that can to it all for me so the biggest/deepest bed on the smallest frame in 2wd wins. Remember the days when you could get a Taco or a Ranger with a 6 foot bed for under 10k, that's all I need, not 40k for a smaller, bed.

· Registered
26 Posts
Definitely nice, I love that they added 10 inches in width. One thing I didn't like about my 2015 Canyon was the width. However, it will be tough to pull me away from my 2022 RTL-E but never say never haha. I do wish the bed was a few inches deeper on the Ridgeline though. Bought a car seat and I couldn't slide the box in under my bed cover, was disappointed at the time lol Coolers and other things become in issue too.

· Registered
2022 RTL-E (Radiant Red), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,759 Posts
Looks like the perfect size.......I too am interested in the Colorado/Canyon but will wait as well. Year #1 is always dicey. Plus I want to see if GM has resolved their 8-speed issues.

· Registered
2021 Canadian Ridgeline Sport
177 Posts
The linked article also says the listed problems are generally not particularly common. We should note that the Honda 3.5 in the RL is also a direct injection engine with a system to shut down some cylinders during light load, so some of the problems mentioned in the linked article can also occur on the RL.

What I don't like about the new Colorado is that it weighs nearly 5,000 lbs empty! The RL is no featherweight, but the Colorado is a good 500 lbs heavier. For a "mid-sized" pickup?!? With a 5-foot bed and a tight back seat?

I don't much like that they stuck with a live axle on leaf springs, either. That's a dated, crude suspension that tends to bounce and dance badly on washboard roads. Several modern full-sized SUVs from both Ford and GM show that an IRS can handle a large trailer just fine, so a solid axle is not required to pull a trailer. That's just an excuse to avoid improving the rear suspension.

I do like the ground clearance and the available under-body cameras. Together, those help make the Colorado a decent off-road machine (if you want to abuse your new truck like that, anyway). The lift won't help the fuel mileage, though.

· Registered
3,569 Posts
Some GM models have a dismal reliability rating. Buyer beware....
Basically, about the only thing the Canyon has in common with the Ridgeline is that they both have pickup beds. Otherwise, my family, and extended family, all are still GM truck die hards from way back with nary a complaint! If there were any real problems I would definitely be hearing about it. Personally, it looks to me if you really want, and can use, more of a "truck", then the Canyon appears to be the smarter way to go. If still a "car", with an occasional light pickup usage, is more your style, then I would stick with the Ridgeline.

Bill

1 - 20 of 88 Posts