Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the S-VCM in my 2022 Ridgeline and like how the motor stays with 6cyl .all the time. Before in stall the Ridgeline felt unresponsive in some driving situations. 1) going through EZ pass toll booth’s seem to hesitate to get back up to speed. Had to step heavy on gas pedal.
2) sometimes felt powerless climbing hills. I had also installed the auto stop bypass.
I think he Ridgeline drives a lot better with the VCM disabled. Motor feels more responsive. I did loose 1.5 mpg but it’s a better driving experience.

· Registered
710 Posts
Good deal if you are happier the way it drives now. However the way you described it as stock I wonder if there was something else wrong. This is my 3rd Honda J35/7 series engine AT transmission combo and I do not share your experiences. The only time my 2022 drives close to the way you describe is if I have ECO mode engaged. Otherwise, in D mode it is usually quite responsive. If that is not enough I can move it into S mode and it is more than enough.

It also depends on what you are coming from. Some vehicles have aggressive throttle response curves. Either way if you like it better, that's what matters.

· Registered
3,569 Posts
I apologize, but, by monitoring our ScanGauge, what you are stating makes no sense with the way our VCM engages and disengages? On the rare occurances when the VCM is actually engaged, just the slightest pressure change on the accelerator disengaged the VCM. And the VCM has no effect on acceleration what-so-ever? Maybe Honda changed the way the VCM operates between the 2019 and 2022? :unsure: Otherwise, what Apex stated.
Bill

· Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,832 Posts
Reactions: njamesj

· Registered
373 Posts
I like to think I am very perceptive when it comes to engine/transmission feel. That said, or thought, with neither the ‘17 nor ‘23, could I tell differences with VCM engaging. Though I’ve had it deactivated for 95% of the time I’ve had the vehicles, I have driven some with the Muzzler not hooked up. I have decided that if I keep it deactivated, I’ll get the S-VCM.

Reactions: securityguy

· Registered
2017 Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Accord Coupe V6 6MT, 2022 Ridgeline RTL-E
57 Posts
You lose almost ZERO by disabling the VCM
You must not drive any flat highway roads. It absolutely improves mpgs. The only way you’ll see over 25 mpg on long trips.

The hesitation OP feels is just the delay for VCM to disengage. Anticipating when you need the power and putting it in S mode disables VCM, giving you the immediate throttle response when you punch it.

· Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,832 Posts
You must not drive any flat highway roads. It absolutely improves mpgs. The only way you’ll see over 25 mpg on long trips.

The hesitation OP feels is just the delay for VCM to disengage. Anticipating when you need the power and putting it in S mode disables VCM, giving you the immediate throttle response when you punch it.
HA! I live in Florida…every road is flat 😂 I disabled mine within weeks of purchase. Highway I got up to 26 and around town, based on my lead foot, was 19-22.

· Registered
10 Posts
Like the OP, I also installed S-VCM and Idlestopper on my new '22 RTL purchased last Sept. It's been a couple months and I've had no issues with either device, nor a single generated code. Having full-time V6 power, elimination of the occasional VCM "whirring" noise and elimination of autostop annoyance has appreciably improved my driving experience. Haven't noticed any change in MPG - getting 22.5 in mostly city driving.

· Registered
812 Posts
Having driven many classic/collector cars for decades I am hyper-vigilant about engine noises, operation and performance, you have to be. I feel nothing with my 22 RL after a lot of city driving and two cross-country jaunts; the VCM process is completely transparent to me, accelerating, cruising, idling, etc. If I WERE to disable it I'd use the S-VCM, some of those other do-dads "fool" the engine management software into thinking the mill isn't warmed up to disable the VCM and detecting a real overheating issue could be problematic, my understanding is that the S-VCM is programmed to prevent htat.

· Registered
2022 BE Pearl White
40 Posts
Placebo effect
The VCM was very noticeable and irritating on my 2017 so I disabled it with a Muzzler. Bought an S-VCM before I took delivery of my 2022 BE but decided not to install since I can't even tell when the VCM is active. Waiting to see if I still need it as the truck gets some miles on it.

KH

· Registered
3,569 Posts
It was interesting at first monitoring the operations of the VCM, but after a while it just become ho-hum. I could not feel it, and even when I knew it was activated, I still could not detect it. Now after moving and traversing different terrain I am thinking of reactivating it for a while just to see what, if anything, has possibly changed?
Bill

· Registered
373 Posts
Are there any differences between the ‘17 to ‘23 in how the VCM works? Seems like people report radically different experiences.

Reactions: jh26 and wjfyfe

· Registered
373 Posts
I removed my VCM Muzzler 2. I’m now going to really be trying to feel any differences.

Jan 18, 2021. Update: I’ve only driven a few miles. Can feel no change, yet.

Reactions: wjfyfe

· Registered
373 Posts
I’ve driven about 250 miles since removing the Muzzler 2. Though far from an accurate measurement, it got a milage readout about 1.5 mpg higher than normal for 2 commonly made 100 mile round trips. I felt no difference.

· Registered
4 Posts
After installing the muzzler all for 2 months, all my transmission problems stopped. No more rumble strip sound, rpm's jumping up and down on inclines, more power. Honda could not figure out the problem. Wish I had installed it several years ago when the problems started. Had the same problems on my Chevy pick up.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts