Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First time posting here, I unfortunately have recently joined the club of those with water intrusion, and mine is pretty bad.
The entire carpet is soaked after the heavy rains we got in California, a little over 4k miles on the odo.

The first sign was heavily fogged up windows on the inside after raining, I have the all weather floor mats, so decided to feel the carpet under the floor mat the other day and ... yeah, it's now a huge sponge.

Obviously I've started looking through the forums and see this comes up from time to time, the car is less than 6 months old.
First day I got it, it went back to the dealership the next day with a faulty radiator, now a few months later and I have a soaked floor.

This truck has so far given me the kind of anxiety I'd expect to have from buying a Jeep.

· Registered
405 Posts
Mentioned Gen 2's taking on water to my local Honda Service Advisor and he gave me a look. I said, while not all by any means, has been reported and documented. I know I'd be pissed and one of the few reasons I'm in no hurry to "upgrade."

· Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
450 Posts
Hello,

First time posting here, I unfortunately have recently joined the club of those with water intrusion, and mine is pretty bad.
The entire carpet is soaked after the heavy rains we got in California, a little over 4k miles on the odo.

The first sign was heavily fogged up windows on the inside after raining, I have the all weather floor mats, so decided to feel the carpet under the floor mat the other day and ... yeah, it's now a huge sponge.

Obviously I've started looking through the forums and see this comes up from time to time, the car is less than 6 months old.
First day I got it, it went back to the dealership the next day with a faulty radiator, now a few months later and I have a soaked floor.

This truck has so far given me the kind of anxiety I'd expect to have from buying a Jeep.
@SouthPawn — welcome to the club. I’m sorry you’re having this issue and I hope your dealer can fix it right the first time for you. I also hope you and your state dry-out soon — but try to save some of that water — NOT not in your truck, but in your reservoirs!

· Registered
385 Posts
I have owned two Ridgelines in the past and one JEEP, which none of them have leaked water. All being said it can happen to the best of vehicles and your Ridgeline is no different, but I do feel the dealer can find it, it may take more then on try to find it. Yes, water leaks are a real pain in the butt for the owner. Jeeps do have many more reasons to leak, does your tops come off, does your windshield fold down, do your doors come off, etc.
trainman

· Registered
2022 Ridgeline Sport
301 Posts
I was hoping maybe the 2023s they corrected the issue.
From what I understand, there isn't really anything to "correct" as it's not like the leaks are a result of a defective part. This seems to be an issue with the design combined with poor build quality, or quality control to ensure the body seams are sealed properly. Personally, I think Honda should own the problem, send out a TSB to the dealerships with a procedure to check for leaks when any RL is in for service - similar to the recent start/stop software update. At least include it as part of the PDI so that brand new leaky vehicles aren't being sold!

If anyone from Honda is indeed active on community forums like this, they are willfully ignoring this issue, as anyone who has mentioned it to their local dealership gets met with a wide-eyed "I've never heard of that before!" response 🙄

I feel like this is probably a far more prevalent issue than we know. Between arid climates, people that hand wash their truck, and garage queens (no offense meant to anyone, I'm just jealous I can't fit mine in my small apartment garage! 😋), I wouldn't be surprised if some people never realize that they have a leaky truck. The thread with the poll indicates over 20% which while not exactly scientific, is just crazy...

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,156 Posts
I'm curious, how is it possible that every owner doesn't have this issue? I agree many owners are not aware of the issue, but it doesn't seem like it's an assembly issue or is it?
If you don't count the proper application of seam sealer as an assembly issue, then no, it is not an assembly issue. But if you do, then something needs to change on the Honda assembly line.

Like I've mentioned over and over, the seam sealer on my cheap Kia looks like it was put on with precision, with an aim toward consistency and quality control.

· Registered
23 Posts
If you don't count the proper application of seam sealer as an assembly issue, then no, it is not an assembly issue. But if you do, then something needs to change on the Honda assembly line.

Like I've mentioned over and over, the seam sealer on my cheap Kia looks like it was put on with precision, with an aim toward consistency and quality control.
Ok, I see.. then it definitely is an assembly issue. I wasn't even sure a "sealer" was applied. You would think that a sealer is "machine applied" and minimal room for error. It sounds like if there are "one off" issues it must be applied by a human.

· Super Moderator
9,156 Posts
Ok, I see.. then it definitely is an assembly issue. I wasn't even sure a "sealer" was applied. You would think that a sealer is "machine applied" and minimal room for error. It sounds like if there are "one off" issues it must be applied by a human.
Honda moved the seal sealer application from humans to robots with the same results.

Reactions: Lucky Jack

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got it back, they said the sealer was missing from the seam, it sounds like they found it, but what kind of irked me was they gave it back with wet carpets and told me to keep the windows down for the next few days.

I popped off the kick panel and felt under the carpet and the carpet pads are still soaked, they said they had to pull back the carpet, but why would they have not dried out the carpet pads if it was entirely exposed, and it's not just the back, the fronts carpet pads are soaked as well.

I dunno, maybe I'm expecting too much, but I would have thought they would have actually pulled out the carpet and dried it at the very least.

· Super Moderator
9,156 Posts
So I got it back, they said the sealer was missing from the seam, it sounds like they found it, but what kind of irked me was they gave it back with wet carpets and told me to keep the windows down for the next few days.

I popped off the kick panel and felt under the carpet and the carpet pads are still soaked, they said they had to pull back the carpet, but why would they have not dried out the carpet pads if it was entirely exposed, and it's not just the back, the fronts carpet pads are soaked as well.

I dunno, maybe I'm expecting too much, but I would have thought they would have actually pulled out the carpet and dried it at the very least.
They certainly should have dried out the carpets for you. Unless you live in the AZ desert, it is going to be difficult to get that water out of the carpet before it causes damage simply by leaving your windows open.

· Registered
3 Posts

Because that would take them a few extra minutes and it's getting more difficult to find good service anymore, so they just shrug it off.... unfortunately

· Registered
3 Posts
The water intrusion part sucks as here in Canada the used RLs are still priced close to a new one so, it would have been great to pay just a bit more for new and not have to worry .....ugh.... The Honda dealers here in Canada aren't amazing either so with any issues like that I'd be better off doing it myself. Guys/gals, do any of you notice more RLs at your south side dealers? Up here in Canada there are only 80 new RLs coast to coast and dealers tell me that it will be like that for at least a year and have only one coming in the next 6 months. Then I look in upstate New York and see some Honda dealers have 15 RLs on site. Here the few that do have RLs won't budge yet on pricing and we have 7% interest rates. I feel that if your lots start to have a surplus of RLs with good interest rates or discounts that we will start to see that happen north of the border too? What do you think? It's always difficult to trust a dealership...

· Registered
23 Posts
The water intrusion part sucks as here in Canada the used RLs are still priced close to a new one so, it would have been great to pay just a bit more for new and not have to worry .....ugh.... The Honda dealers here in Canada aren't amazing either so with any issues like that I'd be better off doing it myself. Guys/gals, do any of you notice more RLs at your south side dealers? Up here in Canada there are only 80 new RLs coast to coast and dealers tell me that it will be like that for at least a year and have only one coming in the next 6 months. Then I look in upstate New York and see some Honda dealers have 15 RLs on site. Here the few that do have RLs won't budge yet on pricing and we have 7% interest rates. I feel that if your lots start to have a surplus of RLs with good interest rates or discounts that we will start to see that happen north of the border too? What do you think? It's always difficult to trust a dealership...
The water issues are also happening on 2023s. Can I ask what part of Canada you're from? I'm from Canada and so far my Honda dealership is pretty good-my wife has a CRV and I just bought a Ridgline-bought at the end of November rec'd 3 weeks later and there are 2 2023 white ones in the lot. Keep in mind, from what i hear AC seats only availible in Canada.

· Registered
812 Posts
You'll want to take a wet/dry shop vacuum ( the STEALTH small one from Amazon is a beast! - more suction than much bigger ones I've owned) and then put a large fan on a box even with the door sills and with all doors open run the fan for a day or more....preferably in a warm area.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts