Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,237 Posts
The crew cab on a mid size truck is a major compromise. It’s not a very good cargo hauler, and it’s not a great people mover either. It sort of does both things in a so-so way.
I would agree that that is true about all the OTHER midsize trucks except the Ridgeline. The Ridge's crew cab isn't as spacious as the larger variations on the full size trucks but it is still quite functional for rear passengers from kids to adults. The Ridge's convertibility of the rear seat area is also better than any of the other mid-sizers. I personally do not consider the second row on the Ridge to be a "major compromise". In fact, I consider it a major positive attribute the other midsizers don't offer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The crew cab on a mid size truck is a major compromise. It’s not a very good cargo hauler, and it’s not a great people mover either. It sort of does both things in a so-so way.
Really? People really like being in the back seats. It's a bit stadium seating back there, with plenty of leg room. When I sat in the back of the Raptor, way bigger truck, wasn't really any more roomy back there. We haul 2 people back there all time and they remark how comfortable it is back there. Sure, it's no cadilac if youre looking for swank surroundings, but actual comfort back there is way better than any truck it's size, and I'd argue as good if not better than most full size/bigger trucks. But ultimately your butt is the ultimate arbiter of such things.

The 5'3" bed does a lot of serious work for us. 90% of the time it's more than we need. But, yea, if we could get a 6' bed, we would.

Anyway, hopefully they make some improvements we all like for 2024.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,552 Posts
I wouldn't object to a larger gas tank, say 25 gallons.
Agreed, except it would lower advertised (and actual) payload ratings. This is essentially why fuel tanks have gotten smaller on almost all pickup trucks (check them out!).

If you want payload near top of the class, you need to have a small fuel tank. Sad, but true.

On a side note, full-size Ram trucks are often maligned for having low payload numbers, but many of them do have larger fuel tanks.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD, White Diamond Pearl
206 Posts
Agreed, except it would lower advertised (and actual) payload ratings. This is essentially why fuel tanks have gotten smaller on almost all pickup trucks (check them out!).

If you want payload near top of the class, you need to have a small fuel tank. Sad, but true.

On a side note, full-size Ram trucks are often maligned for having low payload numbers, but many of them do have larger fuel tanks.
I’d be OK giving up payload equivalent to the added plastic for the larger fuel tank plus about 36 more pounds of gasoline. That weight difference hardly seems significant.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,552 Posts
I’d be OK giving up payload equivalent to the added plastic for the larger fuel tank plus about 36 more pounds of gasoline. That weight difference hardly seems significant.
Prior to the release of the G2, many of us were wondering if it would have a rear sliding window. An active member here at the time, who had contacts within Honda, indicated that Honda was considering not having a sliding rear window because it added weight. They were apparently, at least at one point during planning, trying to keep the truck as light as possible.

Weight plays a factor in MPG, particularly City ratings. That also likely plays a significant role in Honda's decisions. A tenth of a MPG doesn't mean anything to us, but it can mean a LOT to Honda, particularly regarding CAFE averages.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS AWD, White Diamond Pearl
206 Posts
Prior to the release of the G2, many of us were wondering if it would have a rear sliding window. An active member here at the time, who had contacts within Honda, indicated that Honda was considering not having a sliding rear window because it added weight. They were apparently, at least at one point during planning, trying to keep the truck as light as possible.

Weight plays a factor in MPG, particularly City ratings. That also likely plays a significant role in Honda's decisions. A tenth of a MPG doesn't mean anything to us, but it can mean a LOT to Honda, particularly regarding CAFE averages.
That serves Honda well, but for me, if I end up carrying an 5 extra gallons of gas in a can, I’ve added the weight to truck anyway, whether it went in the tank or a can.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would love a 6' bed, but not at the price of the 2nd row. The Ridgeline does great double duty, and I'd hate for it to lose that. I think adding 9" more to the bed is very doable. Not sure if a 6' bed would be enough for you.
Agreed. You could easily buy a chevy / gmc single cab work truck if you need the long bed. I really don't feel that, that is the purpose of the Ridgeline. It's an everything truck in my opinion. Works awesome for most things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would agree that that is true about all the OTHER midsize trucks except the Ridgeline. The Ridge's crew cab isn't as spacious as the larger variations on the full size trucks but it is still quite functional for rear passengers from kids to adults. The Ridge's convertibility of the rear seat area is also better than any of the other mid-sizers. I personally do not consider the second row on the Ridge to be a "major compromise". In fact, I consider it a major positive attribute the other midsizers don't offer.
100%. I had a GMC Canyon. Ridgeline better in every way in the cab.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL-T 265/60R18 Kumho AT52 tires
88 Posts
increase towing capacity to 6800 to 7000 pounds
I would venture to say that 6000-6500lbs is as good as she would get… being a unibody with no D-pillar.

but I would argue that 9” of size increase overall is doable. 6” in the bed and 3” in the cabin (better rear seat room) also maybe they can bring back the center arm rest. One thing about my Ridgie that I still can’t get comfy with.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Given the number and variety of aftermarket racks, covers and cargo storage, and the need for a full-sized spare hauled in the bed, may I put in my request for engineered mounting points supporting a rational response to all the efforts since the G2 appeared on the market to use bed panel mounting studs for structural supports?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Question for the group here... Do you think honda could sell a Full Size Truck modeled after the ridgeline? Like a Nissan titan sized 1/2 ton but unibody and with 7500 lbs of towing. They would obviously keep the same ride qualities and 4 way independent suspension etc... like would anyone here want that? would you buy a sport trim AWD for 43-45k?

·
Administrator
23,782 Posts
Question for the group here... Do you think honda could sell a Full Size Truck modeled after the ridgeline? Like a Nissan titan sized 1/2 ton but unibody and with 7500 lbs of towing. They would obviously keep the same ride qualities and 4 way independent suspension etc... like would anyone here want that? would you buy a sport trim AWD for 43-45k?
The 1G Ridgeline was the largest vehicle Honda had the capacity to build. In order to accommodate the extra 3 inches in length of the 2G, I believe they had to resort to workarounds such as turning the vehicle sideways at some points along the assembly line and installing the one of the bumpers much later in the process than they normally would.

The investment required to reconfigure a factory to build a larger truck than the current Ridgeline would be significant and likely not worth it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 1G Ridgeline was the largest vehicle Honda had the capacity to build. In order to accommodate the extra 3 inches in length of the 2G, I believe they had to resort to workarounds such as turning the vehicle sideways at some points along the assembly line and installing the one of the bumpers much later in the process than they normally would.

The investment required to reconfigure a factory to build a larger truck than the current Ridgeline would be significant and likely not worth it.
I completely doubt its something honda would do, for obvious manufacturing and logistical reasons. But I was more interested in whether or not folks would be interested in this type of vehicle. A fullsize, unibody truck... I ask because I feel like it would be exactly what most full size truck buyers are looking for. A truck that has the room inside of an F150/ Titan but the road manner of a Pilot/ ridgeline. The truck space for kids stuff, the slightly improved towing (if they could pull that off) but not all the overkill that trucks offer to folks who haul air and tow very little.

I am new to trucks in general and after driving my ridgeline for the last year+ I feel like I would love a full size version of it. IDk. just wanted to see if anyone else felt that way.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,552 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that Ridgeline was about the largest you would want a unibody truck. Anything larger and it was much more efficient (and way cheaper) to build body-on-frame, mostly because weight-savings from unibody start to disappear at the Ridgeline's size.

I prefer the size of the Ridgeline over full-size trucks (which I drive almost daily at work).

Towing limits seem to be limited more by axle sizing (and probably the clutch packs) than by the unibody design. That being said, I would like to see a factory Ridgeline with steel tubes angling from the cab back to the D-posts on either side of the tailgate. That would give the truck the strength of an SUV (e.g., - Durango SRT, a unibody with 8700lb towing, more than many body-on-frame SUVs in its class). If done right, it would look pretty cool (like those old full-size roll bars / light bars on 80s Baja trucks).

All of that being said, if Honda offers a full-size, it would probably be a badge-engineered GM product.

My dream Ridgeline would have a longitudinal Honda engine with the ZF 8-speed, AWD with user-adjustable priorities between FWD and RWD.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I do not want a full size truck. I like the RL size, and if anything, if they made it a touch more compact, that would be great. Yet at the same time it could use a few more inches of bed, and really needs underbody plates and a few more inches of travel.

These 'wants' are somewhat if not outright contradictory. But I think within Honda's ability to package things. As is, I think Honda has given us as much if not more room inside what is a midsize truck than many full size trucks. Smart packaging can do a LOT of good. Honda's magic hidden trunk is a great example of that.

But I really like how maneuverable and not overly huge the RL feels in daily driving.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts