Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ya I said it. Since 2023 is a carry over year and it seems all but certain 2024 will introduce a new model maybe we can persuade Honda to add some features. My 2007 has 260k on the ODO hopefully she makes it to 2024 reveal.

I'll start
1. Vented seats - For the love of all things Holy please give us Southern Ridgeline owners some ventilated seat options.
2. Updated Modern Head unit
3. Increased Trunk capacity- Easily the most useful part of my truck. Would love to see it redesigned to be even larger
4. Factory lift/level kit
5. Please don't make the front end ugly again.

3 and 4 are wishful thinking
Hoping for a hybrid.

·
Registered
78 Posts
bring it up to date with the infotainment and aim high if it's going to remain unchanged for a generation
mute button for infotainment
ability to reset MM by code individually (I don't think it does this now)
radio stays on with the engine off until the door is opened (I don't think it does this now)
hopefully the 10 speed will the solve the 9 speed quirks but be just as robust. Hesitation when floored exists on MDX so that most likely wont see improvement
oil filter location
hood struts (its close to 50k you guys deserve them whether you want them or not)
low speed follow
brake hold
updated safety bits like road sign, pedestrian recognition
more cameras to see blind spots
even cabin heat during extreme cold. left foot area noticeably colder
during extreme cold, can not keep the window defrosted and the cabin warm simultaneously
raise it to Passport height
damped tailgate or power tailgate
split tailgate
eliminate push button gear selector
eliminate tire pressure sensors in favor of the old system that compares rotation amongst wheels, cheaper for those that have winter wheel sets.
power down rear window
eliminate RTL/BE trims and HPD package to free up more Sport/E production
more ground up design, not Pilot offspring which ultimately limits capability build outside Alabama
dash cam pre wired front and rear
amber lights on the bumper when the marker lights are on (loved this signature on the RTS)
leave design room for hybridization or electrification if this vehicle will be unchanged for 7-8 years.
updated gauge cluster that also shows what gear the 10 speed is in
no black plastic in wheel wells painted metal only with accessory option of stick on painted arches
auto high beams to engage at lower speeds

Items from the current gen that still haven't been improved upon:

tailgate harness fraying
gas odor when parked during colder weather
occasional stiff brake pedal at startup (check valve in brake booster inconsistent)
mushy brake pedal
Geez! Perhaps you should be looking at another brand of truck.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would like that too but we've discussed that before and, as zRoger pointed out, federal highway regulations prohibit it as a safety feature. It's out of Honda's hands.

• better head/infotainment (this seems to be the on the list for most of us)
  • move moonroof out of RTL-E into BE or new higher level trim (use the savings to cover some of these requested features)
  • power folding mirrors
  • 2" more ground clearance or lift kit options
  • skid plates (could put this and lift kit in an Offroad package)
  • remove bed audio, seriously how often do people use this? Or move it to higher trim level.
  • more user options over how things work (i.e. radio stays on til doors open, include/exclude moonroof in auto windows down, autostop on/off by default)
  • better cupholders that can grip various sized containers
My US Audi A4 offered remote auto-up (and sunroof close) back in 2000. I believe others do as well. It's not a law or regulation but basically how risk-averse the manufacturer is in our sue-happy market

·
Registered
98 Posts
Some great suggestions here. I agree there seems to be no reason why the "Canadian" options (heated windshield and wipers, cooled seats) can't simply be offered as options in the US as well. Not offering the cooled seats in the US is nuts - makes you wonder if it was a mistake (got it backwards)

You want a full-size spare. I agree, but ideally not under a half-ton of gravel. Think about it... There should be a secure in-bed storage place optional

The in-bed audio is a joke. The in-bed power is too wimpy to be useful. The lack of stake pockets limits cost-effective racks, etc.

The audio system is sorely in need of an update. A "mute" button would be great, and keep the radio on until the driver's door open (like every other car)

Power folding mirrors are common and simple and handy in many places. The RL is a wide truck. Simple addition

Hybrid would be good as an option - but at what "cost"? Payoad, towing, AWD? A different (probably turbo) motor is probably a given

Honda says it is moving toward better "off-road" capabilities. So far, that's been stickers and tape. I don't intend to do the Rubicon, but the great AWD on my RL is hamstrung in the Maine snow by the sedan-like ground clearance. I want more ground clearance on my next truck. Just make space for taller tires

The safety systems on my 2017 RTL-E are OK, but already quite dated. While I'm reasonably happy with them, I get the "BRAKE" warning frequently on right-hand turns. You's think software update could help, but unlike other vehicles (Volvo for one) Honda never seems to update anything

·
Administrator
23,780 Posts
It's not a law or regulation but basically how risk-averse the manufacturer is in our sue-happy market
Actually, it is - it's covered in 49 CFR Section 571.118.

This standard permits remote window closure if all windows that are capable of closing remotely:

• Are equipped with an automatic reverse system or
  • Cannot be closed if the remote is more than 6 meters from the vehicle

The Ridgeline does not have hardware capable of automatically reversing the rear windows if an obstruction is detected and the RF remote has a range much greater than 6 meters.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Actually, it is - it's covered in 49 CFR Section 571.118.

This standard permits remote window closure if all windows that are capable of closing remotely:

• Are equipped with an automatic reverse system or
  • Cannot be closed if the remote is more than 6 meters from the vehicle

The Ridgeline does not have hardware capable of automatically reversing the rear windows if an obstruction is detected and the RF remote has a range much greater than 6 meters.
Thanks for the info - but as you note, it is Honda's lack of the (common?) auto-reverse functionality on A $50K truck that is the problem. It is perfectly legal and possible to design window-closing functionality and it has been available in the US for at least 20 years.

The second requirement is an "OR" so satisfying either would be sufficient.

The existing keyless entry/start function requires very close proximity to the vehicle. In my experience, two metres or less. So Honda could alternatively make the "remote window up" control follow the same rules.

Finally - Wow! Metric?

·
Administrator
23,780 Posts
Thanks for the info - but as you note, it is Honda's lack of the (common?) auto-reverse functionality on A $50K truck that is the problem. It is perfectly legal and possible to design window-closing functionality and it has been available in the US for at least 20 years.

The second requirement is an "OR" so satisfying either would be sufficient.

The existing keyless entry/start function requires very close proximity to the vehicle. In my experience, two metres or less. So Honda could alternatively make the "remote window up" control follow the same rules.

Finally - Wow! Metric?
1. Your Audi was built before the regulation was passed.
2. Auto-reverse is only used on windows with an auto-up feature. That costs money. Even today, few vehicles have auto-up (and auto-reverse) on all windows - it's usually the driver's window on cheap cars, the front windows on most cars, and all four windows on high-end models. The average price of a new vehicle today is $48K, so $50K is "just average" now.
3. NHTSA proposed a rule that would require all automakers to have auto-reverse on auto-up windows, but automakers cried that that would cost $100 per window and reduce security, so they proposal was dropped.
4. Some Ford, Tesla, and VW models are the only ones I'm aware of with remote-close windows - most brands don't have them.
5. Just today, Tesla recalled 1.1 million vehicles for windows that may not auto-reverse properly.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My 2010 Passat that was $30k MSRP had auto up/down on all windows and I could use the remote to open and close them all. It clearly must have met all of the criteria. Loved that car.

For a new RL, like many others have stated, hybrid, better infotainment and ventilated front seats would be the big three for me. I think they could make a hybrid as one trim level as that would have a lower tow rating. Maybe the RTL-H. I understand many have the need/want to tow, but I don't. I use my truck to haul stuff, but not dragging anything around with it.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
4,237 Posts
Some great suggestions here. I agree there seems to be no reason why the "Canadian" options (heated windshield and wipers, cooled seats) can't simply be offered as options in the US as well. Not offering the cooled seats in the US is nuts - makes you wonder if it was a mistake (got it backwards)

You want a full-size spare. I agree, but ideally not under a half-ton of gravel. Think about it... There should be a secure in-bed storage place optional

The in-bed audio is a joke. The in-bed power is too wimpy to be useful. The lack of stake pockets limits cost-effective racks, etc.

The audio system is sorely in need of an update. A "mute" button would be great, and keep the radio on until the driver's door open (like every other car)

Power folding mirrors are common and simple and handy in many places. The RL is a wide truck. Simple addition

Hybrid would be good as an option - but at what "cost"? Payoad, towing, AWD? A different (probably turbo) motor is probably a given

Honda says it is moving toward better "off-road" capabilities. So far, that's been stickers and tape. I don't intend to do the Rubicon, but the great AWD on my RL is hamstrung in the Maine snow by the sedan-like ground clearance. I want more ground clearance on my next truck. Just make space for taller tires

The safety systems on my 2017 RTL-E are OK, but already quite dated. While I'm reasonably happy with them, I get the "BRAKE" warning frequently on right-hand turns. You's think software update could help, but unlike other vehicles (Volvo for one) Honda never seems to update anything
I use my Ridge for construction duty so I actually do carry things in the bed frequently and I have put some thought into the spare tire. . . .I would rather have my spare safe, clean and rust free inside the trunk than taking up valuable space in the bed (particularly if I was carrying gravel). If I was really worried I could throw in the tire in the back of the cab or on top of the gravel but I don't really worry about it. If I am hauling stuff it is within 20 miles of home and I can deal with either dumping the bed or taking the wheel off for a repair. The GenI has room for a full size in the trunk and it would indeed be nice of the GenIII had room for one too. It would also be nice if the trunk was returned to at least the same size as the GenI. . . There already is a place in the bed to secure the tire on both the GenI and GenII. It's in the OM.
My next vehicle will need to do A LOT better on gas than a conventional ICE setup can manage. Honda is a bit behind in the Hybrid game. Toyota could easily do a Tacoma hybrid with normal payload and towing capabilities. We may well see it. I don't want a Tacoma though. A well developed Ridgeline hybrid could do away with the rear driveshaft and perhaps even the center diff using electric motor(s) for driving the rears. That's what Toyota does on its AWD Hybrids (central motor with axles) . The space could be used for the batteries without taking away from the trunk / cab. All that said, the Ridgeline will follow the Pilot's foot steps rather than get major specialized treatment. If we see the tech in the Pilot there may be some hope.

·
Registered
98 Posts
1. Your Audi was built before the regulation was passed.
2. Auto-reverse is only used on windows with an auto-up feature. That costs money. Even today, few vehicles have auto-up (and auto-reverse) on all windows - it's usually the driver's window on cheap cars, the front windows on most cars, and all four windows on high-end models. The average price of a new vehicle today is $48K, so $50K is "just average" now.
3. NHTSA proposed a rule that would require all automakers to have auto-reverse on auto-up windows, but automakers cried that that would cost $100 per window and reduce security, so they proposal was dropped.
4. Some Ford, Tesla, and VW models are the only ones I'm aware of with remote-close windows - most brands don't have them.
5. Just today, Tesla recalled 1.1 million vehicles for windows that may not auto-reverse properly.
VW must know something :) I've had a few and all had auto-up

And the proximity option?

But we are talking about customer needs vs automaker offers. Anything with stop/start (IMO) is proof that automakers are quite willing to ignore their customers if it saves then a buck or jumping through a hoop. History is littered with automaker "can't be dones" suddenly becoming standard features.

Perhaps there is a regulation that mandates Honda turns off the radio with the "stop" button? Unlike a 2002 Corolla? Sure, it only takes about 20 seconds to come back on... I guess what I am saying is that it (remote up) can be done - it just wasn't. Cost too much. Not required by focus group. I appreciate the detail, but it's a bit like explaining why US headlamps are so bad - "because they didn't have to be very good"

I do recall one old Merc limo had hydraulic power windows that were quite formidable. I'm sure Chairman Musk can top that

·
Registered
22 Ridgeline Touring
227 Posts

Oh yeah, stake pockets would be great, X2 over here for that. Also, if they do a turbo engine, please save the sad sack 4 banger crap for rental cars/econo penalty boxes, gimme that sweet 3L turbo, forget about fuel efficiency and crap, I want MORE POWWAAHHH!!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mild Hybrid like the Passport is getting
Love the trunk, and wide bed. Length is more than enough. If you need more, get a trailer. More useful anyway.
More tie downs would be great. Especially a way to retain fuel containers for temporary transport. One of the main reasons I have the RL vs an SUV. One drop of gas or diesel inside and you smell it forever. Just a safe way to retain a 5-6 gal container, jerry can or LP tank. THe bed extender turned around facin inward helps, but still could use some kind of divider.
Interior is going to be the same as Pilot and Passport, but the rear window is different. Please enlarge the opening and strenghten the bottom support for carrying 2x4s, trim, super strut, pipes etc. Super useful on my 2013 RL. I load into window, pass thru the front seats and onto the passenger side floor..so it won't go thru the windshield. works great for 8-10 ft. items.
I have no use for sound in the bed, but others do. So make it optional on all models.
Similarly with the sun roof. I hate then, but want the "pseudo" leather seats.
I'd love a stronger 6-8 speed transmission rather than 9 or 10 speed watch mechanism.
Someone mentioned the rail system in the bed and/or a rail system on the bed side tops for tie down, ladder racks or cover.
I'd be Ok if the truck was shrunk back to the Gen 1 size length and width,

61 - 79 of 79 Posts