Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time lurker on this forum, but just signed up. Where I live there are not many ridgelines to be found. I did Find a white 2008 RTS with 207,000 miles. The owner is asking $8000. It has a brand new set of tires. It runs and drives great and everything works as it should. The timing belt/water pump was done at 140,000 miles. Is this truck worth buying? What if I could haggle him down to $7500?

·
Registered
252 Posts
It worth maybe 7500.00 dollars if the owner has replaced the timing belt, water pump, serpentine pulley and had all the other fluids served. If not you are looking at a 1500-2000 dollars out of your pocket to do the work. If the owner did not do the work, the truck is worth 5,000.00 dollars to me. Because you will be spending more money to keep the truck going for another 100,000 miles.

Edit I forgot the radiator, the transmission line runs through the radiator. That should have been check or even replaced, because if it fails your looking at a new transmission.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I'd start at 6500. It's fine at 207k if he has paperwork for the TB at 140k. Maybe ask when he did the plugs.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
'Depends on what you are going to do with it, in my opinion. If it's in good shape & you assess it to be a reliable ride, AND you aren't planning on putting a ton of miles on it, then pay what you think it's worth. With that many miles, the "market" price will be depressed, so don't be afraid to start low... I'd offer $6800, hoping to settle on 7 or 7200 if all else looked OK. If he holds firm, come back later & see if he's softened.... or give him what he's asking if YOU think it's the truck you want & can't do better for that same price.
BUT with that many miles, I would treat it like a lady.... no harsh demands (hard towing, etc.), and just drive it easy if you want it to last another 100K. If you're putting 20K or more per year on your vehicle, you might want to consider a 'younger' prospect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went and drove it. It actually ran and drove pretty nice. But the check engine light was on at it had little dings and scratches everywhere. the inside was stained up pretty badly and the light to the radio didn't work. Im gonna pass. The search continues. Anybody around Kentucky have one for sale let me know.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Gosh, I don't think I could consciously purchase any vehicle with 200K+ miles at any price. Up until the 70s-80s, you better think about trading when the vehicle approached 50K. After 100K, you were on borrowed time. Maintenance requirements are far lower and reliabilty is far greater now, but 200K is the new 100K in my useless opinion. I've seen Dodges and Buicks with odometers that have "rolled over" multiple times and they still drive down the road, but those are exceptions. Of course, maintenance and usage are key. A neglected vehicle used to delivery pizzas or mail for 50K miles will be worthless whereas a maintained vehicle driven on the highway will probably make it to 500K miles. That's too much of a gamble for me.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Gosh, I don't think I could consciously purchase any vehicle with 200K+ miles at any price. Up until the 70s-80s, you better think about trading when the vehicle approached 50K. After 100K, you were on borrowed time. Maintenance requirements are far lower and reliabilty is far greater now, but 200K is the new 100K in my useless opinion. I've seen Dodges and Buicks with odometers that have "rolled over" multiple times and they still drive down the road, but those are exceptions. Of course, maintenance and usage are key. A neglected vehicle used to delivery pizzas or mail for 50K miles will be worthless whereas a maintained vehicle driven on the highway will probably make it to 500K miles. That's too much of a gamble for me.
That's "generally" true. But I've had Civic Hatchbacks that were very well maintained, including interior & paint refresh when needed, and all mechanical issues attended to properly & promptly....... two of which I drove for over 350K miles. One ('76) finally got killed in my driveway be errant teenager in his Mom's new Camry.... and one that my son inherited and sold a year later for a healthy price ($3200 if I recall) to a guy who really appreciated the well kept oldie (it was an '85... sold around 2011?). Yes, engine had been rebuilt on that one.... done DIY as overkill after blown head gasket (wifey didn't 'get' the red light & kept on driving hot). FYI, that '85 was absolutely pristine when I bought it with 165K (all highway) miles on it already! My son sold for almost as much as I paid for it, LOL.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
It would be cool if vehicles had "vehicle life" monitors in addition to "oil life" monitors that shared a few characteristics. The "vehicle life" monitor could utilize existing sensors to determine how "hard" the vehicle was driven by measuring steering/vehicle angles, vehicle speeds, engine RPM, accelerator pedal position, rates of acceleration/braking, ambient temperature, windshield wiper usage (indicating how much time the vehicle spent in wet weather), windshield washer usage (indicating dirty road conditions), accumulated ABS/stability activation, vibration (indicating road conditions), etc. to come up with a relative "health score". A relatively low number might indicate a vehicle that has spent most of its time in a dry, mild climate and driven "like a grandma" on smooth roads. A relatively high number might indicate a vehicle that was driven off road in the mud with lots of full-throttle acceleration and neutral drops. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if such data wasn't already recorded.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
You think that would be cool? Hack proofing measures would need to be taken and laws like those existing for odometer tampering would have to be modified. . . .Basically, big brother mandating a black box for every vehicle that would keep stats on anything and everything so that a vehicle life % could be computed. Heck, it could probably figure out your location and speed so that police could be informed if you were in violation. If the vehicle's safety is compromised by its usage / maintenance then the vehicle could be put into a no run mode until repairs have been done. . . .Why stop there? Put one on your body so employers know whether or not to hire you and insurance companies know how much to charge you?

I don't know what the future holds but I won't be exited by a "little black box" in my vehicle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'm close to 170 miles and it's the small things you have to look out for that will add up. My truck needs new struts, a new drivers seat/reupholster, front CV joints are starting to leak grease, will need new injectors soon, 02 sensors are shot. A lot of the bushings in the suspension are worn. Needs new brake lines. All the small things add up to big $$. If you're willing to make a road trip and import a truck, it seems like you can pick up a ridgeline with around 100k miles for 9000 canadian everywhere here. That's what..7000 american?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I traded my 2006 with 196k and wish I had kept it. It needed one CV axle, another set of tires, and would have needed the TB service pretty soon. Good chance something was getting ready to break, but it ran good when I turned it in. But all that service would have been chump change next to a new truck.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
You think that would be cool? Hack proofing measures would need to be taken and laws like those existing for odometer tampering would have to be modified. . . .Basically, big brother mandating a black box for every vehicle that would keep stats on anything and everything so that a vehicle life % could be computed. Heck, it could probably figure out your location and speed so that police could be informed if you were in violation. If the vehicle's safety is compromised by its usage / maintenance then the vehicle could be put into a no run mode until repairs have been done. . . .Why stop there? Put one on your body so employers know whether or not to hire you and insurance companies know how much to charge you?

I don't know what the future holds but I won't be exited by a "little black box" in my vehicle.
Some of what you mentioned may happen sooner than later or is already happening. There's been talk of wireless reporting as a part of "OBD III" for years now. On-Star and similar telematics systems have long been reporting vehicle location, oil life, fuel level, tire pressure, trouble codes, etc. to the "mothership". Event data recorders ("blacks boxes") appeared in certain GM models in 1973. They are now standard equipment in every on-road vehicle and now record all kinds of information you're probably unaware of. I'm VERY much okay with a vehicle being automatically disabled if it unsafe or polluting or illegal in some way.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It would be cool if vehicles had "vehicle life" monitors in addition to "oil life" monitors that shared a few characteristics. The "vehicle life" monitor could utilize existing sensors to determine how "hard" the vehicle was driven by measuring steering/vehicle angles, vehicle speeds, engine RPM, accelerator pedal position, rates of acceleration/braking, ambient temperature, windshield wiper usage (indicating how much time the vehicle spent in wet weather), windshield washer usage (indicating dirty road conditions), accumulated ABS/stability activation, vibration (indicating road conditions), etc. to come up with a relative "health score". A relatively low number might indicate a vehicle that has spent most of its time in a dry, mild climate and driven "like a grandma" on smooth roads. A relatively high number might indicate a vehicle that was driven off road in the mud with lots of full-throttle acceleration and neutral drops. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if such data wasn't already recorded.
I think that would be very cool in fact. A very helpful feature.... and as you said, there's no reason it can't be done... just like MM as a tool. BUT, it would mostly benefit resale buyers, so I doubt it would be likely to get implemented. Plus, competition between mfgrs would cause accuracy problems as they all try to ensure theirs shows up as longest lived. If it was objective, secure & standardized, it could be very helpful indeed.
I wouldn't worry about all the big brother or hacking boloney ... that could apply to everything we do in life... too much of distraction while we're still alive & kickin'.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
If you're planning on keeping this vehicle for a long time, I would want to find a 2007-2010 model that had about 110k miles on it and already had the timing belt service done on it. You may have to drive a little bit to find what you're looking for. The biggest thing is the maintenance history. If it has solid history of having all of its fluids changed according to the schedule, has newer tires and brakes and it still looks and feels good, you likely have a winner. Continue searching and consider stretching your budget to about $10-12k. You'd be amazed at what just a few grand more will get you. The lower mileage trucks in that range will likely be RT's, RTX's and even some RTS's, but there could be some RTL's in the mix. Make the decision on which model you want first and then go find it. There's got to be a ton of them in the southern Ohio area that I'm sure isn't all the far from you.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'm VERY much okay with a vehicle being automatically disabled if it unsafe or polluting or illegal in some way.
In principle, that seems like a good idea, however, who's to say what "unsafe or polluting or illegal" actually is? Many states have annual safety and bi-annual emission inspections that take care of the bulk of these problems and don't leave you stranded just because your catalytic converter is about to fail or you didn't tighten your gas cap enough.

That said, this conversation has nothing to do with whether you should buy a vehicle with over 200k on the odometer.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
I ended up buying a different one. I found a 2006 Steel Blue RTS.
Wonderful! Congrats. How many miles does it have on it and for what price did you buy it? Have any extra goodies on it in the way of accessories?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts