Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

Registered
Is there anybody remember the days before Dealer FEES and all the fluff they add on to the price? Today they take a percent off however they get it right back in fees and overpriced add ons.My favorite add on is the Adjusted market price increase.Most new car prices are at MSRP in the end when the ink dries.馃槈
In 2003 i bought a new Silverado work truck and used my brothers employee pricing and coupons the dealer supplied and got a $21400 truck for $13640 OTD. no trade.Them were the days!

Registered
2016 Frontier Pro 4x
Is there anybody remember the days before Dealer FEES and all the fluff they add on to the price? Today they take a percent off however they get it right back in fees and overpriced add ons.My favorite add on is the Adjusted market price increase.Most new car prices are at MSRP in the end when the ink dries.馃槈
In 2003 i bought a new Silverado work truck and used my brothers employee pricing and coupons the dealer supplied and got a $21400 truck for $13640 OTD. no trade.Them were the days!
- I won't even consider buying a vehicle that has "Adjusted Market Price".
That is a non starter for me. I generally tell the salesperson it would be a waste of time for both.

- Most dealers (does not matter the brand) in my area tend to add about $1,800 or so in dealer add-ons .
My past experience is dealerships are willing to zero out most of the items. Last vehicle I purchased had $1,800 of add-ons. I ended up paying $200.

• License and taxes are what they are.
  • Delivery fee is generally non negotiable
  • Processing fee is not set in stone.

Bottom line, When I go into the dealership to buy I know what I am willing to pay for the vehicle I want. If they can meet that number , then we have a deal.

I agree about the good old days. My first new car was less than 3k. Dealerships use to have show parties when new models came out. They expected people to come in just to look at the new models.

Registered
In some states the doc fees are set in stone and in others they are anything the dealer can get away with however they have to charge every person the same fee.When carmax use to sell new cars they would charge $75 doc fee. My first new car was a 1980 Dodge st regis and the sticker was $13k .I was stationed in Germany and got the price down to $8500 through military car sales and the fact that Chrysler was on the verge of going out of business.

Registered
Bottom line, When I go into the dealership to buy
They sell cars every day, you buy cars every N years, they have the advantage the second you are on the lot. Deal via email, work the deal before you step foot on the lot. Eliminate emotions, use data, come up with a fair deal and try and stick to that. Feel free to 鈥榳alk鈥 and tell them you will check back at the end of the month if they don鈥檛 budge. But remember, if folks are walking in and paying MSRP on trucks that are not even on the lot, they will not deal.

Time is the best advantage you have, that and information! Track the dealers inventory for several weeks, make a google sheets deal and record how many units at what trim and what dealers have what you are looking at. You will see when they get a truck load of truck and let them sit for a few days then hit them up.

Always deal in OTD, don鈥檛 worry about fees then. They can add a $15 hot dog bun fee, I don鈥檛 care, I鈥檓 negotiating OTD price.

Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
In some states the doc fees are set in stone and in others they are anything the dealer can get away with however they have to charge every person the same fee.When carmax use to sell new cars they would charge $75 doc fee. My first new car was a 1980 Dodge st regis and the sticker was $13k .I was stationed in Germany and got the price down to $8500 through military car sales and the fact that Chrysler was on the verge of going out of business.
Off-topic, but how did you like that St. Regis? I remember it being voted best cop car of all time because it was so roomy. This was before SUVs became popular.

Registered
I liked it alot but i had installed a c/b radio and had a trunk mounted antenna and every truck that seen my car was saying, got a smokie at mile marker X lets squash him.
I would reply, I am not a trooper but if i see one i will let you know LOl
I traded that in on a 1977 Corvette in 1984 before going to Korea.
I have not seen one in 20 years.

Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
A different dealer here in Denver was offering larger discounts than I can get from the Honda dealer down the street from my house, which is $0 discount.

Registered
Data point in Twin Cities MN. Best price I've been offered through Sam's Auto Buying Program / TrueCar on a RTLE is $41,629

Registered
2021 RTL-E
Local dealers are offering about 40,055 for an RTL-E. and 41,769 for a black edition.

Super tempted as I paid so little for my 2019. Carvana is offering 33,030 for my 2019 with 23k miles. Gotta hold myself back!

Registered
Local dealers are offering about 40,055 for an RTL-E. and 41,769 for a black edition.

Super tempted as I paid so little for my 2019. Carvana is offering 33,030 for my 2019 with 23k miles. Gotta hold myself back!
I have been looking for an RTL-E in Mass/NH and all I get is MSRP. Can you mention what dealers you got these prices?

Registered
I have been looking for an RTL-E in Mass/NH and all I get is MSRP. Can you mention what dealers you got these prices?
I just put down deposit on Ron Bouchard in Mass. on white Pearl black edition in transit MSRP 46,805 they gave me 3k off.
Nashua NH was also going match 3k off on there BE that coming in soon.

Registered
2021 RTL-E

This is where I got mine back in 2019. They are advertising 40055 for RTL-E and was advertising 41.7k for BE. Heads up they add 100 bucks for wheel locks and won't tell you till the end.

They also price match if you find better.

Registered
You have to really scrutinize the sales agreement. The dealer I bought mine from tried to add destination back in at the end, after we negotiated out the door. The damn window etching kept creeping back in. Same with the insane $600 documentation charge. I'm not paying that no matter how many times it magically reappears. I've never had such an unpleasant experience at a car dealer in my life and will never buy another car from this dealer. I felt like I was buying from Jerry Lundegaard...

I negotiate for a living so very little gets past me but I have no doubt the average buyer misses crap like this. The whole process is designed to grind you down so you just want it over and done with. Check, check and recheck. Take out your calculator and keep them honest.

Most of all, know exactly what you are going to lay before you sit down. Add up everything beforehand. You can find out your MV fees and sales tax is easy to calculate. Personally, I don't care what the individual lines say as long as the grand total adds up. If you don't know, to the lenny what that number is before you pull into their lot you will be at a disadvantage.

Good luck with the purchase.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I went to my Honda dealer on Wednesday, February 24 and made a deal for a '21 RTL-E. They didn't have one on the lot, but thought they would be able to find one at a nearby dealer and get it to me by the end of the following week, Friday, March 4. Unfortunately, I was told they won't be able to get one until the first or second week of April, but I think my deal was good enough I'm going to stick with it. They quoted me $40,055 for the truck, but they were going to pay my last lease payment of $449 on my Pilot. Since they won't have the Ridgeline until after I make the last payment, they are taking that off the price, which brings it down to $39,606. I added front & rear splash guards and a tonnear cover for $1,238 ($72 of that is the installation fee), for a grand total of $40844.

Here's the breakdown:
Truck w/Accessories: $40,844.00
6% tax: $2450.64
Tire tax: $5.00 (it's a Pennsylvania Law, no getting around it)
Title: $55.00
Encumbrance: $26.00 (I really don't know what this is, but I was negotiating for an out the door price and this was included)
Doc Fee: $394.00
On-line registration fee: $17.47
Out the door price: $43,830.11

Since I'm paying my last lease payment and they're subtracting that from the price of the truck, I'm saving $27 in taxes over the original deal. Not much, but it's $27 less than it was.

Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
The experience I am having with a dealer where I live is exhausting to say the least. I have only contacted them via email.

The first quote I got for the 2021 RTL-E (MSRP $45,445) was $39,995. That sounded great, as it included the roof rack and running boards.

Then when I attempted to get the deal done, they upped the price to $41,450. Plus they added $1,650 in accessories/options
  • $550 clear bra
  • $500 window tinting
  • $500 protection package - mudguards, floor mats, and some type of mat
  • $100 locking lug nuts
So now the price is $43,100. They offered me $1,000 less than the KBB offer for my trade-in linked to their dealership. The general manager did not provide an explanation for either the $1,455 price increase on the 2021 or the decrease in the value of my trade.

I don't think this deal is going to get done. As mentioned by another forum member, perhaps these inflated trade-in values are meant to bring buyers to the dealership and they have no intention of honoring them.

Registered
鈥21 White, BE
I鈥檇 tell them to pound sand. How long between their initial offer and when you decided to lock it up?

Registered
@Sparkland, you knew when they came in a 39,995 they were going to take it away from your trade. That accessory BS is par for the course. Denver has a lot of zip codes but just for the hell of it I see out there that they have the express buying option. For example, I tried Planet Honda and they have the shop from home tool. One you give your info (don't give you phone#), you'll see a quote that goes line item by line item. You could see what dealers you are interested in using that have this tool and it should narrow down the buy price and then it would be all about the trade. That's how I did it back in October with my purchase. I just went through all the dealers and the I used the lowest one which was even lower than Edmunds/Cars direct, etc. and when dealers with higher prices came back via email, I told them that I am seeing X can you beat or match. It worked quite well. Some dealers never followed up.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts