Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey drivers,
I have a 2022 BE that I just got and have put 800 miles on it. I just did a three hour trip and have noticed a strange vibration for the first time. It happens at all speeds, but most noticeable above 35mph. It feels like the car is bouncing quickly up and down, like the road is super wavy/bumpy - but it's not. I feel it on both rough and smooth roads. Can feel it a bit in the steering wheel, but mostly on my ass and if I put my hand on the passenger seat headreast/back, I can really feel the vibration.

Had many Hondas in the past and this is the first time I've experience this. Have any of you had this issue with your new 2022s?

I am going to assume it is a wheel balancing issue. I will check the tire air pressure to ensure they aren't over-inflated and also fairly equal. But then, off to the service dept. I'm surprised / disappointed about this - a new car!

I don't think this is the VCM in my case...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All tires at 33 psi. Going to tighten all lugs to 94lbs now.

Bent wheel would be shocking - hasn't hit anything crazy yet. Drove perfectly smooth during the first few hundred miles. I will definitely have the service folks check that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
All tires at 33 psi. Going to tighten all lugs to 94lbs now.

Bent wheel would be shocking - hasn't hit anything crazy yet. Drove perfectly smooth during the first few hundred miles. I will definitely have the service folks check that.
Anything possible.
IMO Honda is not what it used to be.
My RL came with defective strut/mount, sunroof seal and defective connection in a fuse box.

305 Posts
Sometimes a rock from the road knocks off a balance weight from a wheel, it can be as simple as that.

And sometimes the box of balance weights was old and the sticky backside was not sticky enough and the balance weights just fall off. In this case you can often see with your eyes the residue of sticky stuff from where the balance weights fell off.

As some have noted, tires have defects sometimes. Look for localized deformation in the sidewall. Look for damage to the tire from something that it hit, perhaps even something still stuck in it (we have seen it all, customers drive up and some big metal chunk is hanging out of the tire, or a bolt is through the tire, a bit of iron rod through the tire, etc).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Let us know what you find out. My 22 RTL-E had a slight shimmy randomly in the steering wheel\felt in the seats when new from 45~60MPH. I'm at 5 months old and 2800 miles now, while it's a little better, I still get a random vibration\shimmy in the steering wheel while braking or around curves on the highway... I haven't bothered to bring it in as it's completely random, could happen two days in a row, and could go 2 weeks without issues.

My plan is to rotate the tires quick and see if anything changes. If not, it's not a tire issue and I can have more info if I bring it in.

I do have to say all in all I'm not super happy with the build quality of Honda. Mine had various exterior trim issues I had to fix, my damn dashboard was rattling like crazy and I found the bolts near your knee area that hold it on weren't all tight letting it flop around, and I still have a rattle in my drivers A pillar somewhere I need to investigate... Just disappointing in a new vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 RTL
81 Posts
Had vibration since new at highway speeds. Dealer replicated, rebalanced, no change. It's slight, I just don't pay much attention to it anymore. When I change out to my winter set, completely smooth with no vibration. So it's in a tire or wheel itself in my case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update. I just checked each wheel's weights and the front right passenger wheel does not have any weights. I triple-checked. Is that bad?

These are the black HPD rims.

305 Posts
Yeah every wheel should have weights to some varying quantity. My front drivers side wheel has about twelve 5 gram weights.
Every dog has his day, now and then it is true a wheel and tire combo will balance without need of weight...but it is rare. Suggest a Hunter Road Force Balance.

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,313 Posts
Very rare indeed, I used to mount tires when in high school. Take it to Discount tire and have them check your balance, if you can't get into a dealer. I wouldn't drive on it much longer as is. If it isn't the tires, go to the dealer. Yes, I know the tires should be covered at a Honda dealer, but I have better faith in a great tire shop than most dealers' ability.

·
Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
Hunter Road Force balance on my Michelins installed at 40k miles. Now at 58k and still good. The Firestones were starting to unbalance at 20k and could feel that at 60mph+. The truck was misaligned from the factory and caused two tires to wear more than it should have. Those originals would have lasted longer if the alignment had been right. All are wearing evenly so far. Alignment is still on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone. I have checked again and, indeed, no weights on the FR wheel.

I have also just checked the torque on all lugs - set to 94ft/lb +- a little. They all seemed tight but I'll drive her again today and see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Quick update. I just checked each wheel's weights and the front right passenger wheel does not have any weights. I triple-checked. Is that bad?

These are the black HPD rims.
If you don't see any tape or glue residue it means no a weight was never installed.
Plus it's highly unlikely that a weight installed on a new clean wheel just came off.
And here is no way a wheel weight came off with no tape or glue left on the wheel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts