Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 RTL-E and am thinking of a '22 RTL.

Honestly, I prefer the body color, or even blacked out, chrome.
Didn't use the rear audio, the interior accent lighting is cool, but no one would miss it.
The NAV system has me underwhelmed and having to pay to upgrade the maps feels like a soft kick to the groin, especially with so many phone options.

I think the heated steering wheel is probably the only RTL-E feature that I didn't require, but ended up liking. Oh well.

I like the under truck lights for entry/exit at night. Can't recall if I paid for that with the running boards?

I'd rather spend the extra $3K in the RTL-E sticker on roof rack, upgraded mud flaps, running boards, bed cover, etc.

Anything in the RTL-E that I might not have thought of that I'd cry about later :)

·
Administrator
23,781 Posts
Things you lose by moving from a '19 RTL-E to '22 RTL:

• AC outlet
  • Ambient interior lighting
  • Premium audio system
  • Heated steering wheel
  • LED bed lighting (replaces incandescent)
  • LED daytime running lights (instead of using the high beams at reduced brightness)
  • Truck Bed Audio system
  • Additional sound insulating layer below the carpet
  • Different front seat side bolster design
  • Front and rear parking sensors
  • HD Radio
  • Chrome door handles
  • Front door courtesy lights
  • Low washer fluid level sensor and indicator
  • Compass
  • Built-in navigation
  • (2) 2.5-amp rear charging ports
Things you gain by moving from a '19 RTL-E to '22 RTL:

• Dual exhaust outlets
  • Sturdier steel hood replaced aluminum
  • LED fog lights vs. incandescent
  • Power tailgate lock
  • Auto idle stop
  • ZF 9-speed transmission replaces Honda 6-speed
  • Paddle shifters
  • Pushbutton shifter replaces shift lever
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Physical volume knob
  • +20mm track width
  • Styling change (everything forward of A-pillars, rear bumper, wheels, and tires)
One more note is that Honda broke the automatic high beam feature beginning with the 2020 model year.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Things you lose by moving from '19 RTL-E to '22 RTL:

• AC outlet
  • Premium audio system
  • Heated steering wheel
  • LED daytime running lights (instead of using the high beams at reduced brightness)
  • Truck Bed Audio system
  • HD Radio
  • Chrome door handles
  • Compass
  • Built-in navigation
Things you gain by moving from '19 RTL-E to '22 RTL:

• Dual exhaust outlets
  • Power tailgate lock
  • Auto idle stop
  • Paddle shifters
  • Physical volume knob
  • +20mm track width
  • Styling change (everything forward of A-pillars, rear bumper, wheels, and tires)
One more note is that Honda broke the automatic high beam feature beginning with the 2020 model year.
As always, thank you. Is it safe to assume that that the gain from '19 RTL-E to '22 RTL would be the same as '22 RTL-E, at a minimum? Meaning the '22 RTL-E gives me at least that much gain, possibly more items? Or do some of the RTL gains fall off with the RTL-E?

As far as the RTL loss, I forgot about the AC outlet (that came in handy on a 5 hour drive to VA, where I used an electric cooler). I do like that outlet. Won't know about the sound insulation I guess until I own/drive an RTL. So, I get chrome and other items I either don't want/need just to retain the AC outlet...ugh

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless you need it within the next year, you might consider holding off for the Gen 3! The technology will be significantly improved. And hopefully they'll have sorted out the automatic high beam feature :)
You know. I was thinking, he '23 will be out next monthish and I'm not really in a rush, unless my RL tells me I am....
Gen 3 might be 2024?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are already a few '23s sold. I would hope 24 would be the Gen 3. It is a nice truck, but could use some updating (especially since a lot of the other midsize trucks received updates/refreshes).

I just purchased and RTL recently and after shopping around and test driving, the 2 RTL-E features that I thought were a major upgrade were the AC outlets and the upgraded sound system. The sound system on the Sport and RTL is truly abysmal and has major issues with EQ and sound compression. If you're someone who really enjoys jamming your music above average volume, this might be a deal breaker on an RTL. At least check it out on your test drives if that matters to you.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,552 Posts
Things you lose by moving from '19 RTL-E to '22 RTL:

• AC outlet
  • Premium audio system
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Truck Bed Audio system
  • HD Radio
  • Chrome door handles
  • Compass
  • Built-in navigation
Things you gain by moving from '19 RTL-E to '22 RTL:

• Dual exhaust outlets
  • Power tailgate lock
  • Auto idle stop
  • Paddle shifters
  • Physical volume knob
  • +20mm track width
And auto-dimming side mirrors.

I think I would REALLY like those for driving at night around here with all of the blinding LED lights.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,636 Posts
One thing to note about waiting until the 2024 G3 model is that used vehicle prices will have dropped significantly, and that will impact your leverage with the trade and very few discounts on the 2024 initially.

Reactions: Anaximander

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing to note about waiting until the 2024 G3 model is that used vehicle prices will have dropped significantly, and that will impact your leverage with the trade.
Agreed. My thought was that it will be linear, to some extent. New prices are likely at their highest and coming down No telling what 2024 will bring. In fact, if my '19 doesn't give me trouble between now and then, I might hand it down to my daughter in '24.

·
Administrator
23,781 Posts
And auto-dimming side mirrors.

I think I would REALLY like those for driving at night around here with all of the blinding LED lights.
I didn't include the following features in the list because they are on the 2021-2023 RTL-E, but not the 2017-2020 RTL-E so the OP wouldn't be losing them by moving from a 2020 RTL-E to a 2022 RTL. :)

• Auto dimming side mirrors
  • Heated windshield wiper area
  • Wireless phone charger

·
Administrator
23,781 Posts
BTW, the 2021-up Led fog lights are not a plus (-vs- the 2017-20 halogen fog's) as the housings are sealed and led bulbs are wimpy-low lumen output, they're useless in foggy weather. Whereas the 2017-20 housings are easy LED bulb upgradeable and are then superior.
I appreciate three things about my 2021's LED fog lights over my 2019's incandescent fog lights:

• The color matches the headlights
  • They emit more light to the sides which helps me find my driveway at night
  • There is less surface area which reduces the chance of rock damage

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Unless you need it within the next year, you might consider holding off for the Gen 3! The technology will be significantly improved. And hopefully they'll have sorted out the automatic high beam feature :)
‘I can hardly wait on the Gen 3 Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,973 Posts
I didn't include the following features in the list because they are on the 2021-2023 RTL-E, but not the 2017-2020 RTL-E so the OP wouldn't be losing them by moving from a 2020 RTL-E to a 2022 RTL. :)

• Auto dimming side mirrors
  • Heated windshield wiper area
  • Wireless phone charger
Drop the last one. The wireless charger sucks so bad I don't even use it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
A lot of those upgrade features are of no interest to me other than a few ...
I made my own wireless charger out of a Weathertek cup holder and a Mag Safe home charger....has worked flawlessly for 4,000 miles and since the charger is Apple you get the "full" charging rate
Gear shift Automotive design Audio equipment Gadget Chair

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,636 Posts
I circumvented the Honda wireless charger by putting a charging pad in the tray in the center console. My iPhone 13 Pro fits perfectly and works great with the Carplay wireless dongle from Autobox. That way the phone is hidden away at all times.

·
Premium Member
2022 WBE in Southern Florida
1,973 Posts
I circumvented the Honda wireless charger by putting a charging pad in the tray in the center console. My iPhone 13 Pro fits perfectly and works great with the Carplay wireless dongle from Autobox. That way the phone is hidden away at all times.
How the heck do you text and drive like that??? :eek:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts