Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have the RTL-E, so I just run an extension cord to the AC outlet in the truck bed. Charges my phone faster than in the dash 😁

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
210 Posts
In simple terms, the wheels on the 21-23 "stick out" 10mm farther than the 17-20 wheels - the width of the chassis does not change.
Still don’t get it. Like the wheel hubs stick out further? I would have thought since the ‘22 wheels are +45mm and the ‘19 wheels are +55mm it would have been the same width of tire distance.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,552 Posts
Still don’t get it. Like the wheel hubs stick out further? I would have thought since the ‘22 wheels are +45mm and the ‘19 wheels are +55mm it would have been the same width of tire distance.
Wheel and tire width are the same. The only thing that changed is the inner part of the wheel was moved 10mm inboard. That puts the rims/tires 10mm further out from the hub. It is/was a very simple change. You can do the same by going to a wheel with a different offset.

To put it another way, if you put the wheels from a 2019 Ridgeline on a 2022 Ridgeline, both trucks would be the same width.

Google "wheel offset".

·
Registered
6 Posts
As a recent RTL-E owner I don't think it is worth the extra money for the "upgrades". I do like the LED Daytime lights and hopefully the heated wipers will prove usefull. For the extra $2600, I'm not so sure. Over the years it seems like they've pushed so many top level features down to the lower trims. Even some recent reviews recommend the Sport model as the best option.

And to complain just a little. What the heck is going on with these Honda tech features that simply don't work? The wireless charging just doesn't work. This isn't rocket science. I can get one off Amazon for $30 that will work perfect. The safety tech is strange also. I constantly get notices that I am about to have a front end collision with another car when I am turning corners. The auto cruise control is jumpy when behind other vehicles. My wifes Hyundai has all this tech and it all works flawless.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,552 Posts
This helps but if the chassis remained the same and the wheels moved inward for 2021+, how on earth did they get wider?
Actually, the wheel rims moved outward in relation to the wheel center. Each rim is moved out 10mm with respect to the hub, so the vehicle track width is 20mm wider (10mm each side).

Perhaps this image from Discount Tire will help:

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are already a few '23s sold. I would hope 24 would be the Gen 3. It is a nice truck, but could use some updating (especially since a lot of the other midsize trucks received updates/refreshes).

I just purchased and RTL recently and after shopping around and test driving, the 2 RTL-E features that I thought were a major upgrade were the AC outlets and the upgraded sound system. The sound system on the Sport and RTL is truly abysmal and has major issues with EQ and sound compression. If you're someone who really enjoys jamming your music above average volume, this might be a deal breaker on an RTL. At least check it out on your test drives if that matters to you.
Only at "above average volume", more like a lot above the average volume.
Not sure about the other sources, but 256-320 kbps mp3 sounds very detailed and realistic. And if you are "addicted to bass" the stock is sub is more than capable for a stock system.
The RL can use additional sound insulation (doors and roof sound hollow), but that's a problem with all trims.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
As a recent RTL-E owner I don't think it is worth the extra money for the "upgrades". I do like the LED Daytime lights and hopefully the heated wipers will prove usefull. For the extra $2600, I'm not so sure. Over the years it seems like they've pushed so many top level features down to the lower trims. Even some recent reviews recommend the Sport model as the best option.

And to complain just a little. What the heck is going on with these Honda tech features that simply don't work? The wireless charging just doesn't work. This isn't rocket science. I can get one off Amazon for $30 that will work perfect. The safety tech is strange also. I constantly get notices that I am about to have a front end collision with another car when I am turning corners. The auto cruise control is jumpy when behind other vehicles. My wifes Hyundai has all this tech and it all works flawless.
....and usually the Sport has the best-looking wheels, IMO.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a 2019 RTL-E and am thinking of a '22 RTL.

Honestly, I prefer the body color, or even blacked out, chrome.
Didn't use the rear audio, the interior accent lighting is cool, but no one would miss it.
The NAV system has me underwhelmed and having to pay to upgrade the maps feels like a soft kick to the groin, especially with so many phone options.

I think the heated steering wheel is probably the only RTL-E feature that I didn't require, but ended up liking. Oh well.

I like the under truck lights for entry/exit at night. Can't recall if I paid for that with the running boards?

I'd rather spend the extra $3K in the RTL-E sticker on roof rack, upgraded mud flaps, running boards, bed cover, etc.

Anything in the RTL-E that I might not have thought of that I'd cry about later :)

Didn't use the rear audio, the interior accent lighting is cool, but no one would miss it.
The NAV system has me underwhelmed and having to pay to upgrade the maps feels like a soft kick to the groin, especially with so many phone options.

I think the heated steering wheel is probably the only RTL-E feature that I didn't require, but ended up liking. Oh well.

I like the under truck lights for entry/exit at night. Can't recall if I paid for that with the running boards?

I'd rather spend the extra $3K in the RTL-E sticker on roof rack, upgraded mud flaps, running boards, bed cover, etc.

Anything in the RTL-E that I might not have thought of that I'd cry about later :)
Interesting - I just upgraded the maps on my 2017 RTL-E no charge. But on my 2019 Miata,I had to pay

As far as the changes, I'm sticking with my 2017. There's nothing on a 2022 worth the upgrade cost IMO

·
Registered
2 Posts

I traded my 2019 RTL for a 2022 RTL. Mileage went from 25 + to 22.4. 900 miles so far, but not happy!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,636 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Interesting - I just upgraded the maps on my 2017 RTL-E no charge. But on my 2019 Miata,I had to pay

As far as the changes, I'm sticking with my 2017. There's nothing on a 2022 worth the upgrade cost IMO
I updated my 2017 (I bought it used) map once for free a couple of years ago (2019 map version). I got a notice another update was available. Now the offer is for $75. Maybe it's only a one time free update?

·
Administrator
23,783 Posts
I updated my 2017 (I bought it used) map once for free a couple of years ago (2019 map version). I got a notice another update was available. Now the offer is for $75. Maybe it's only a one time free update?
Thank you for mentioning the price - that's the first time I recall seeing a price for Honda-Garmin map updates after the free trial.

2017-2020 Ridgelines come with an unlimited number of free map updates for 5 years.

2021-current Ridgeline come with 3 years of free updates.

It appears your 5 years is up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank you for mentioning the price - that's the first time I recall seeing a price for Honda-Garmin map updates after the free trial.

2017-2020 Ridgelines come with an unlimited number of free map updates for 5 years.

2021-current Ridgeline come with 3 years of free updates.

It appears your 5 years is up.
I had to pay to update our 2019 Mazda maps and have yet to pay for my 2017 RTL-E (I'm sure the next one will be $$)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts