Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2023 Black Edition from the dealership on Monday. Wanted to share my initial thoughts as a first time Ridgeline owner and as someone who HEAVILY reviewed this vehicle before purchasing.

Pros
  • Ride quality
  • Quiet at highway speeds
  • Much improved styling (would not have bought pre '21 redesign)
  • Fit and finish
  • Confidence in powertrain longevity/reliability
  • The trunk! (in bed audio is cool too!)
  • Better rear seat space/comfort than Tacoma (I have two young children)
  • Tailgate door feature
  • AWD
  • Visibility from the cab

Cons
  • My 2018 Accord SPORT had better tech!!! Seriously Honda...what were you thinking??? This vehicle is twice the price and 5 years newer. I'm dumbfounded and extremely disappointed.
  • Heated but not ventilated seats unless your in Canada...dumb.
  • Heated steering wheel is super weak, barely warm to the touch.
  • Rear vents that you can only control from the front.
  • Cup holders only big enough for sippy cups.
  • Push button transmission, not intuitive, hate it.
  • Bed lights - only drivers side working, already have to take it back to the dealership (minor)
  • Rear camera in terrible position. When raining, can't see anything, water drops all over lens.

All in all, I thankfully don't have buyers remorse, but the dated dash and infotainment really irk me. I thought it wouldn't bother me, but it honestly does. Feeling like I lost features when going from base trim to top trim and 5 years newer is just mind blowing. If I came from an older vehicle or something with similar tech maybe my perspective would be different and not so frustrated. At the end of the day though, I bought the Ridgeline because I wanted a truck, not because I wanted better tech. The ride is very comfortable, and I enjoy being able to see over guard rails and other cars at intersections. Really looking forward to being much more comfortable and confident in the snow this winter. I was even able to stop at the dump on my way to work yesterday and drop off some trash rather than having to switch vehicles!

At this price point and being their HIGHEST TRIM it's just so hard for me to understand Honda's negligence on the tech/comfort features. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think it is adequate and aren't too bothered by it. But I think they could gain more market share if all they did was upgrade the dash and infotainment. Those are things that make a big first impression and the competition knows this. This is a top of the line trim in 2023, Honda needs to do better.

Anyway, hoping this is valuable to anyone deciding whether to buy or not. I watched countless reviews on youtube, read dozens of articles and threads, took one for a test drive and bought one knowing what I was getting into. After 3 days of ownership, here's my way to early impressions.

I bought weather tech mats and rain guards, OEM mud flaps, black badges (including the black edition badge for the rear from the Pilot(?), OEM bug deflector, wireless Apple Car Play adapter (Ridgeline Store), Thule roof rack and having the windows tinted next week. Will share some photos when I'm done with it all if anyone is interested.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2021 Ridgeline Sport
1,282 Posts
Well, I looked at the ones available, and couldn't actually see the extra price. I bought a Sport, and the BE was my second choice. The fake chrome was noting I wanted. I wanted a light duty truck, and no others appealed to me at all.

·
Premium Member
2022 Black Edition [Nov 24, 2021] - Traded 2017 B.E. [Sept 23, 2016]
1,003 Posts
You say cup holders are only big enough for sippy cups. Did they change them? My beef is that they put no effort into them at all and don't have the spring-sizers to even HOLD a cup. So, you are stuck with something that only holds LARGE crap unless you fix it yourself. They gotta be the same, right? There are no changes to 2023.

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,563 Posts
The Ridgeline's architecture dates to the 2015 MDX, so yeah, it's a good eight years old. That should change in 2024.

The Accord has always been the primary focus of Honda. The trucks/suvs have been playing second fiddle, even though demand for them outstrips the Accord in the U.S. Toyota has been the same way, except they are trying to play catch-up now.

As archaic as the Ridgeline seems, it is still the best mid-size truck available for most folks, warts and all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a Ridgeline one step down from the black edition 6 months ago, I got rid off my GMC Sierra AT4 (2020) i could not bear how much money I was waisting every time I refill that tank. I love the way the Ridgeline rides, the cabin space and the trunk. I agree about the technology in this car sucks but after I see how much money i save in gas, how nice this truck is for a small truck, you will get used to it the lagging of the info entertainment center, using the orinal apple car cable makes it a little better, the push button of the transmission you will get used to it too. So I personally think you got a good truck and once you get used to the little problems you will be happy too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You say cup holders are only big enough for sippy cups. Did they change them? My beef is that they put no effort into them at all and don't have the spring-sizers to even HOLD a cup. So, you are stuck with something that only holds LARGE crap unless you fix it yourself. They gotta be the same, right? There are no changes to 2023.
Yah, I was definitely exaggerating there, and you're absolutely right that there should be some retention built in. I stand by my point that they are too small though. Nalgene bottles have been common/popular for a decade+ and I think any truck or SUV should accommodate those (my wife's Highlander does, and has the retention for smaller items). With Honda opting for the push button transmission, there is all of that open real estate and they did absolutely nothing with it.(n)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought a Ridgeline one step down from the black edition 6 months ago, I got rid off my GMC Sierra AT4 (2020) i could not bear how much money I was waisting every time I refill that tank. I love the way the Ridgeline rides, the cabin space and the trunk. I agree about the technology in this car sucks but after I see how much money i save in gas, how nice this truck is for a small truck, you will get used to it the lagging of the info entertainment center, using the orinal apple car cable makes it a little better, the push button of the transmission you will get used to it too. So I personally think you got a good truck and once you get used to the little problems you will be happy too.
I agree that it is a good truck and that the pros certainly outweigh the cons. Aside from technology (and towing/off-road), its objectively better than every other small truck.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can pick any vehicle apart and maybe my threshold of satisfaction is lower than others, I have no issue with the cup holders, the rear seat climate controls being up front is fine with me in a small enclosure vehicle, in the wife's Durango it makes sense for separate rear controls. The infotainment system is adequate but not awe inspiring - as long as Car Play works I don't use much of its features. I am critical of more operationa than comfort features.

For instance, I live in flat central Florida, when I turn off the truck in the driveway and put it in park with my foot of the brake, shut down the motor and release the pedal, the electric transmission rolls 3" or more.....VERY disconcerting to somebody that regularly drives standard transmission manual shift cars. The car seems to have a lot of "rolling resistance" when you let of the gas, my Tundra and Durango roll pretty freely (an overdrive issue?); I ignore it because of the excellent gas mileage. As to the Auto Idle Stop always defaulting to ON after start up (which I've bypassed); that designer should be taken to the woodshed.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Just picked up my 2023 Black Edition from the dealership on Monday. Wanted to share my initial thoughts as a first time Ridgeline owner and as someone who HEAVILY reviewed this vehicle before purchasing.

All in all, I thankfully don't have buyers remorse, but the dated dash and infotainment really irk me.............................................
I sincerely and honestly do not understand this way of thinking of after purchasing a vehicle, then to immediately seek out an Internet forum so to start complaining about it? What are you folks expecting to accomplish? :unsure::rolleyes:

Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I sincerely and honestly do not understand this way of thinking of after purchasing a vehicle, then to immediately seek out an Internet forum so to start complaining about it? What are you folks expecting to accomplish? :unsure::rolleyes:

Bill
I didn't immediately seek out this forum. I read many threads and posts in doing my research before buying.
I'm expecting to accomplish sharing my honest likes and dislikes so that others who were in my position can get a perspective that may help in their decision making. Thanks for your awesome input!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can pick any vehicle apart and maybe my threshold of satisfaction is lower than others, I have no issue with the cup holders, the rear seat climate controls being up front is fine with me in a small enclosure vehicle, in the wife's Durango it makes sense for separate rear controls. The infotainment system is adequate but not awe inspiring - as long as Car Play works I don't use much of its features. I am critical of more operationa than comfort features.

For instance, I live in flat central Florida, when I turn off the truck in the driveway and put it in park with my foot of the brake, shut down the motor and release the pedal, the electric transmission rolls 3" or more.....VERY disconcerting to somebody that regularly drives standard transmission manual shift cars. The car seems to have a lot of "rolling resistance" when you let of the gas, my Tundra and Durango roll pretty freely (an overdrive issue?); I ignore it because of the excellent gas mileage. As to the Auto Idle Stop always defaulting to ON after start up (which I've bypassed); that designer should be taken to the woodshed.
I've noticed the same thing. Definitely a little sketchy how much free roll there is after putting in park and even in ECO mode the engine braking is pretty strong though I don't mind that.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Yah, I was definitely exaggerating there, and you're absolutely right that there should be some retention built in. I stand by my point that they are too small though. Nalgene bottles have been common/popular for a decade+ and I think any truck or SUV should accommodate those (my wife's Highlander does, and has the retention for smaller items). With Honda opting for the push button transmission, there is all of that open real estate and they did absolutely nothing with it.(n)
Another exaggeration: Nalgene water bottles have been in the marketplace for seven decades+. I agree that the Nalgene 1 liter water bottle should be the standard for "cup" holders. I guess there is a reason they are called cup holders.

·
Registered
22 Ridgeline Touring
227 Posts
Another exaggeration: Nalgene water bottles have been in the marketplace for seven decades+. I agree that the Nalgene 1 liter water bottle should be the standard for "cup" holders. I guess there is a reason they are called cup holders.
Hi there, fat guy here. Whats a nalgene bottle?? Sounds like something used for hiking or in vegan altar sacrifice activities?? Regardless, the stupid cup holders are too big and have no retainers for smaller cups, I mean they hold my bigger water bottles, cup of coffee, fughetaboutit, it sloshes around like a drunk.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,563 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I was introduced to Nalgene in laboratories in college and grad school. It wasn't until a couple decades later that I realized that they were becoming popular among outdoors folks.
My experience too. In the early 1970s, I came close to failing my first-semester organic chemistry lab because of glass breakage. I tended to break laboratory glassware but, sometime Nalgene plastic is no substitute for borosilicate glass.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
There are, obviously, a LOT of posts like this complaining that the Ridgeline's infotainment level is between their 20** Accord/Hyundai/Benz/SmartCar and a '67 Rambler, and I get that, and I too don't get why a mfg like Honda doesn't bring the RL up to speed.

That said, I guess I feel lucky that my prior pickup truck experiences were with my BILs' (plural) '80s/'90s Ford Rangers (with sh***y seats that gave me backaches even when I was in my twenties) and a 10 year old '96 2wd Tacoma I bought for my son to drive in high school/college. Coming from those, the Ridgeline seems like a virtual Rolls Royce/Maybach,/Range Rover, including the electronics, lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts