Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

235/65/18?

11K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Farther 
#1 ·
Have a 2019 Ridgeline, was interested in getting some new more aggressive-looking tires. Stopped at a local off-road place and the setup the guy recommended was a 235/65/18, the Toyo Open Country A/T III to be specific. Reading thru the forums, I don't see anyone mentioning that tire size. Is this guy way off in recommending that size to me? Also considering doing the 1.5" leveling kit for what it's worth, but would like to do everything at once. Appreciate any info anyone has.

#2 · (Edited)
The sidewall numbers arithmetic says that size is .39” narrower and .46” taller than stock. Not many folks want to go narrower.

According to the Toyo website that tire is made in the 245/60/18 size. The guy probably does not have the 245 in stock and does not want to order the 245 so he’s trying to move the 235 that he has.🤷‍♂️ A taller (than stock) tire places more load on the engine/drivetrain. Performance will suffer the taller you go. Ask “the tire guy” how the 235 tire compares to the stock 245 tire, size wise. I’d love to hear his response. Learn how to calculate the metric tire sidewall numbers to determine width and height.

245 X .60 X 2 / 25.4 + 18 = 29.57” tall
245 / 25.4 = 9.65” overall width

#7 ·
I really just do highway driving to work, I have no intentions of taking this thing offroad, but just wanted to give it a slightly more aggressive look. @HRL383 is likely right in that they just happened to have that size in stock and is trying to sell me into it. Or maybe he thinks that I want the slightly higher tire size to help with the look. But yeah, having a less wide tire doesn't seem to be a good tradeoff to me, but I know nothing about tires.

If I'm just looking to upgrade the look but still keep a comfortable highway ride with less noise, stick with stock size or do you think I could go up a bit? And to what size?

#8 · (Edited)
Personally, I wouldn’t put an AT tire on a vehicle for just “looks”. It makes no sense to me. If this vehicle will spend all of its time on pavement, then you should have a tire to match. That being said, it’s your vehicle and you should do what makes you happy.

IMO you should stick with either stock size or close to it. If you run a heavy oversized AT tire, your fuel economy and handling will take a hit.

Now, there are a few “aggressive” looking tires on the market. Some will suggest the falken wild peak. It’s a nice aggressive looking tire. I had them on my Tacoma, and I didn’t like them. They were on the heavy side and were not that good in the snow ( compared to a dedicated snow tire)....but they did look nice, I’ll admit.

Take a look at tiresize.com. You can search by size/tire type/ weight, etc. It’s a great site when looking to replace your tires. If you do go larger, I personally wouldn't go past 30x10. I found that size to be perfect for this truck. I upgraded to 30" myself (including the spare). Remember to cross reference the tires from the tire mfg. website to confirm specs. I have found sometimes the specs on tiresize (and tirerack) can be slightly off.

Tire Size Chart

Stock size AT's -> 245/60R18 Tires

#9 ·
I also wouldn't put AT tires on just for looks, but messing with the trucks performance for the sake of looks is a very common thing to do. All these lifts, levelling, different wheel sizes and tires sizes that people like to do are done for the sake of looks and often have a detrimental effect on one it more aspects of vehicle performance. So, this tire is a little taller and a little more aggressive looking. Sounds like exactly what you want to accomplish, so why not? 😊

#12 ·
I also wouldn't put AT tires on just for looks, but messing with the trucks performance for the sake of looks is a very common thing to do. All these lifts, levelling, different wheel sizes and tires sizes that people like to do are done for the sake of looks and often have a detrimental effect on one it more aspects of vehicle performance.
All depends on which AT tire you go with. I have a 1.5" front lift and put 255/6517 Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure tires on mine and noticed no negative effects on handling, performance or mpg, not only does my truck look better IMO but it is also a slightly smoother and quieter ride now!

#10 ·
tiresize.com is your friend. Also pay close attention to the weight of the tire you wish to upgrade, as each one is slightly different in size and weight depending on tread pattern and tire purpose. I ended up going with a 265/60/18 light truck tire since I tow, which is a 3% increase in diameter. It has a wider footprint (10.4" to 9.6") and fills out the wheel well a bit more without changing dynamics too much. Also has a higher load rating. Much better riding and sure footed than the Firestone LE2's which felt like soft shocks to me.

#11 ·
According to ToyoTires.com, a

235/65R-18 is a 110T XL tire with a 30.0" overall diameter. Tread depth is 13.0 and is 9.4" wide with a max load of 2337lbs
245/60R-18 is a 109T XL tire with a 29.6" overall diameter. Tread depth is 13.1 and is 9.8" wide with a max load of 2271lbs
255/55R-18 is a 109H XL tire with a 29.0" overall diameter. Tread depth is 13.2 and is 10.4" wide with a max load of 2271lbs
* dimensions based on tire inflation (pressure unknown, but equal for all tires).

Given that the tire is pretty comparable to the OEM size counterpart, I wont be too worried if the price is right.
BTW @Discount Tire has it, in that 235/65R18 profile, for $225 with free shipping. They do price match, so see if they are able to match or beat the price you got from the local installer.

#19 ·
If this is really important to you then I think you need to carefully compare different tires rather than just looking at the measurements. Width is measured at the widest point (the bulge), but two tires of the same stated width can be very different if you measured the width as the actual tread-on-the-ground. A tire with more tread on the ground will look more aggressive. It's been awhile since I compared because I now rely more on actual test results for tire purchasing decisions, but I think two different brands & models of tires of the same stated size might vary by 1-1.5" in the amount of tread on the ground at the contact point. I remember comparing tires like that decades ago and was surprised at how big the difference could be. A wider tread on the ground looked much more aggressive than a wider bulge with a narrower tread on the ground.

#26 ·
Well, I committed to them. Will probably have them on the truck by the weekend if all goes as planned for Thursday delivery and then install on Thursday or Friday. The size seems so close and I would assume should be fine. We will see. Hard to pass up the value in these.

Steve

#29 ·
So, installed them today. Roadforce balance and a alignment (two tires off a small amount which also explained how two tires were more wear by a couple of 32'nds than the other two. 3/32 left at inspection a month ago and 5/32 on two others. Truck now has 41,000mi on it. We'll see how long these Michelins last on it. They are a M&S rated tire. Not a 3 peak and have a treadwear rating of 620 and Traction A Temperature A. Basically to my eyeball they look the same size as the 245 60's. Will be interesting to see if the mileage or anything else changes.

Steve

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

#31 ·
And so far so good with them. Have a small vibration at 60mph but at 80 it's not there. Have been very good in the rain and pooled puddles. Snow traction just tested a little and had a nice power slide (controlled) on a red light turn to the right to a side road as a test for traction on slushy roads. Predictable and had it in snow mode on the selector.
Tires are wearing well and I probably put 1,000mi on them or so. Maybe 2k now. Several road trips over the Laurel Ridge to Harrisburg area. One pulling my Steiner on a trailer weighing about 3500lbs.

Got my $70 rebate too a week or two ago. Just in time for Xmas shopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.