Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a relatively new owner of an RTL-E - 5200 extremely happy miles on mostly Upstate NY country roads @ 24.5 miles/gallon. But winter is coming, and I need a more aggressive tread for the snow and ice and some planned fairly easy-going to light moderate off-road trips out west. No rock hopping. No he-man stuff. I've pretty much decided to follow in JSPORTS footsteps and move to a 245/70/17 AT tire on an appropriate 17in wheel (need recommendation for this to) because I need the extra clearance. (Leveling kit will come later.) Can anyone give me *first-hand* experience on this tire/wheel combo? I want to keep the mud flaps and I don't want to have to deal with any rubbing issues. Looking at Falkens, Nittos, Roadians, Continentals and, yes, even the Michelin Defenders which, I know, is not an AT tire....

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
Have you looked at Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 3PMSF rated tire? I recently purchased a set of 4 from Discount Tire Direct as all of our work fleet trucks have them. I currently have General Grabber AT2 (expensive) but awesome tire. The sidewall is a beefy MOFO and can take a beating on potholes and curbs (ask my wife who cant parallel park). Nitto Terra Grapplers is what I had after the OEM tires were thrown out after 70K miles. I liked the Grapplers for the quieter and supple ride, but the Grabber AT2s are tough to beat in the snow. Because of the tough sidewall, the AT2s are a rough riding and noisy tire. I have approximately over 60K miles on them and have been excellent through 3 snow falls here in NJ/NY. I had over 55K on the Nittos, for comparison. I speak with all weather operation and all terrain operation including towing a 3500lb trailer on those two previous tires. Both the AT2s and Grapplers were 245/70-r17 and I had a very small rub in my driveway at full lock, but 99% of the driving, no rubs.

Where do you live? Reason I ask is because I am looking to offload my 17"s ('10 RT steels, +45mm). They wont be available till middle of October, but on a bonus, you get a full size spare with Nitto Terra Grappler attached to it. I am getting rid of them in a month as I have a BBK that will be going on that requires an 18" wheel to clear.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply smufguy. I've been looking at the Grabbers and the Nittos as well. I had the Dynapro AT Hankooks on my bush vehicle - 1992 Pajero - in Australia and really liked them, but the versions they sell here have a much less aggressive tread. The Gen 1 Ridgeline has a different wheel well from the Gen 2 (I think you have a Gen 1 vehicle), so I want to hear what people who have put these tires on a Gen 2 have to say. Regarding your wheels, I think the 45mm offset might be too much for these tires on the Gen 2, but I don't have any expertise in that. Thought I should stick with a 35-40mm offset. I'll let others chime in on this point. If OK, I would be interested. In the Catskill area.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’m currently running that size on my truck, with General Tire Grabber APTs. really like the tire, small if any noticeable noise difference from stock, have three-peak rating and snow performance reviews seem to be very good (I still run dedicated winter tires so no first hand experience)

I have the Traxda 1.5” lift kit on the front, and the extra sidewalk seems to negate any additional stiffness in the front end which is a bonus, and I don’t really feel any significant difference in cornering.

My rims are 40mm offset and the only time it ever rubs is at full lock, going downhill when I hit a speed bump backwards lol, so not a big issue.

Hope that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Pegger. It's a big help to hear from someone with direct experience. What rims did you get? I've looked at a few with 35 mm offsets, then thought I could put the tires on 2010 Pilot AWD Touring wheels, which would be hub centric like the Ridgeline OEM wheels. Don't know if they're even available though....

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
@efeinblatt: You are welcome and I am sure you will get some good feedback from G2 members and have a nice tire choice.

I am sure you are aware of this, but here are some facts about the G1 and G2

G1 and G2 run same size tires 245/60-R18, but the wheels width and offset are different. (bolt pattern of 5x120mm are the same for both G1&2).

G1: 18 x 7.5" with +45mm offset (also 17"x7.5" with +45mm)

G2: 18" x 8" with +55mm offset

If you want to run a +35mm offset on your G2, you would be pushing the wheel/tire outboard by at least 3/4 of an inch and with the profile of the sidewall, it maybe ballooned well past the fenders and mudflaps. +30mm offset pushes it almost 1.00" outboard. That much offset will cause rubbing as the tire cross section is not in the wheel well as it should. With a +/-10mm offset, you would get away with it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks smufguy. Let me see if I understand this: if I want to put a 245/70/17 tire - am leaning heavily toward the Nittos or the Grabbers - I should choose a wheel with AT LEAST at 35mm offset (remember, this is a 17 inch wheel, not the original 18 inch wheel), which means 40 or 45mm would work fine as well. (I was confused because I though the higher the number the further out the tire was pushed - seems to be the opposite, correct?) Am I getting this right? Any opinion on whether a 2010 Pilot Touring 17inch wheel would work.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks Pegger. It's a big help to hear from someone with direct experience. What rims did you get? I've looked at a few with 35 mm offsets, then thought I could put the tires on 2010 Pilot AWD Touring wheels, which would be hub centric like the Ridgeline OEM wheels. Don't know if they're even available though....

I have a set of fast wheels HD Thunder rims - think they are only available in Canada. There are some people who’ve had 35mm offsets without rubbing. It really is variable as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of room to work with in the Ridge’s wheel wells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am running 255/65R17 Continental TerrainContact tires with XD 128 Machete Wheels. I love the tires (and wheels).
I've looked at that tire/wheel/size combo. I know there aren't any rubbing problems at that size, which is a very good thing, but I wanted to try and squeeze the little bit extra height (.4 inches) that the 245/70/17 dimensions would give me. That being said, I think the Continentals might be a surer bet than other AT tires at the larger size re rubbing. However, winters are bad where I live, and because the tire is so new, there aren't enough reviews of it for winter driving, so I've held off. Do you have winter experience? Off road?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
Thanks smufguy. Let me see if I understand this: if I want to put a 245/70/17 tire - am leaning heavily toward the Nittos or the Grabbers - I should choose a wheel with AT LEAST at 35mm offset (remember, this is a 17 inch wheel, not the original 18 inch wheel), which means 40 or 45mm would work fine as well. (I was confused because I though the higher the number the further out the tire was pushed - seems to be the opposite, correct?) Am I getting this right? Any opinion on whether a 2010 Pilot Touring 17inch wheel would work.
The '10 Pilot Touring runs a 5X120mm +45mm wheel and its size is 17" x 7.5. This is the same wheel size that the G1 Ridgeline 17" alloy and steel wheels. With this combo installed on your G2, your wheels will be pushed outboard by 0.4", not too bad. Do know that you also increased your tire diameter by almost an inch so the clearance will be very close. Looks like the G2s wheel gap (of fender gap) is similar to the G1s, so it should not be an issue.

Further explanation of size and offset.
Wheel size does not matter as your overall Tire diameter is the same, but the combo clearance is dependent on the wheel's offset. Too much offset in either direction, you will run into rubbing or even inadequate clearance to suspension components. Just because a 17x 7.5" +45mm wheel would fit, that DOES NOT translate to a 17 x 8.5" +45mm would fit. More than likely the inner lip of the wheel would scrape the control arms. You would combat that by running 17 x 8.5" with a +35mm or +40mm wheel.

I run 245/70-R17 on my G1 and with the General grabber, I do not rub, but that is the max diameter I can go with the given offset of +45mm without any rubbing as I do not have any lift. The rubbing happens on the inside of the fender well and the body (frame side) of the vehicle by the outside leading edge of the tires.

Lower the Offset, greater the wheel (center of the wheel actually) gets pushed towards the outside of the vehicle.
Greater the offset, greater the wheel gets pushed towards the INSIDE and towards the frame of the vehicle.

As you know, the Grabber AT2s are discontinued and replaced by the ATx with limited sizing. Nittos are very good as well and I loved them for about 56K miles before I had to replace them.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I went with 255/65/R18 Sumitomo Encounter HT Tires on the stock rims because it was cheaper .75" lift and they fit (barely)

I would not recommend them though, the tires do not have good stopping distance on rain or snow, otherwise they are great but I will be trying something different next time in the same size.

Thinking about trying: Goodyear's Assurance WeatherReady Grand Touring All-Season tire or Defender LTX

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went with 255/65/R18 Sumitomo Encounter HT Tires on the stock rims because it was cheaper .75" lift and they fit (barely)
That's a weird size tire! Are you sure there isn't a typo in there? R17 instead of R18? According to my calculations, the tire adds over 1 inch in height and fills out the wheel well by .75" over stock.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The '10 Pilot Touring runs a 5X120mm +45mm wheel and its size is 17" x 7.5. This is the same wheel size that the G1 Ridgeline 17" alloy and steel wheels. With this combo installed on your G2, your wheels will be pushed outboard by 0.4", not too bad...
Wouldn't you also need to account for the 17" Pilot wheel being 0.5" narrower than the G2's 18X8" wheels? Wouldn't that result in the wheel/tire being pushed outward by 0.40" - 0.25" = 0.15" (divide the 0.5" width difference in half because offset is measured from the center line of the wheel). Of course, tire construction could also play a role in how much the tire's cross-sectional width varies with a change in wheel width. But tread width would not change, and that's probably where the rub occurs anyway.

The OP is following Jsport's lead with the 245/70R17 tires. Jsport claims their packages have zero tire rub issues, but we don't know what the offset is on the "proprietary" XD wheels that Jsport uses. The Jsport Chase uses an XD Heist wheel and the Jsport Prerun uses an XD 128 wheel. Tire Rack shows 17X8" and 18X8" Heist wheels with 35mm offset available to fit the G2 RL but says the XD 128 is not available to fit the G2 RL. I'm going to guess that Jsport cut a deal for 17" XD 128 wheels with 35mm offset for their Prerun package. If that's right, then the OP could probably run 245/70R17 tires on those 2010 Pilot wheels with no rubbing

·
Registered
563 Posts
It's all relative. An offset of 0 means the mounting surface is right in the middle of the wheel width. As the offset increases the mounting surface moves outward away from the middle. From your vehicles point of view the greater the offset the closer the wheel moves into the wheel well. Google wheel offset diagram & checkout the images. Ie, attached courtesy of Autoanything.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
^^^Great diagram and explanation of offset. Now if we could just slap a 245/70R17 AT tire on the figure and compare the difference in profile between a 7.5" wide/45mm offset wheel (2010 Pilot) versus 8.0" wide/35mm offset wheel (Jsport Chase/Prerun). But maybe the only way to know for sure is to actually do the experiment with the selected tire.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
^^^Great diagram and explanation of offset. Now if we could just slap a 245/70R17 AT tire on the figure and compare the difference in profile between a 7.5" wide/45mm offset wheel (2010 Pilot) versus 8.0" wide/35mm offset wheel (Jsport Chase/Prerun). But maybe the only way to know for sure is to actually do the experiment with the selected tire.
Do we know for certain the dimensions and offset of the JSPORT wheels? According to them - I spoke to them earlier in the week - the wheels are custom made by KMC to JSPORTS specifications. They are keeping the specs proprietary, so we're just guessing that it's a 35mm offset. All they revealed on the phone was that it was a hub centric 17 inch wheel, that they had experimented with dozens of tires, and finally chose the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Maybe one of their dealers would be more forthcoming with details.....

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
Wouldn't you also need to account for the 17" Pilot wheel being 0.5" narrower than the G2's 18X8" wheels? Wouldn't that result in the wheel/tire being pushed outward by 0.40" - 0.25" = 0.15" (divide the 0.5" width difference in half because offset is measured from the center line of the wheel). Of course, tire construction could also play a role in how much the tire's cross-sectional width varies with a change in wheel width. But tread width would not change, and that's probably where the rub occurs anyway.

The OP is following Jsport's lead with the 245/70R17 tires. Jsport claims their packages have zero tire rub issues, but we don't know what the offset is on the "proprietary" XD wheels that Jsport uses. The Jsport Chase uses an XD Heist wheel and the Jsport Prerun uses an XD 128 wheel. Tire Rack shows 17X8" and 18X8" Heist wheels with 35mm offset available to fit the G2 RL but says the XD 128 is not available to fit the G2 RL. I'm going to guess that Jsport cut a deal for 17" XD 128 wheels with 35mm offset for their Prerun package. If that's right, then the OP could probably run 245/70R17 tires on those 2010 Pilot wheels with no rubbing
You are 100% correct, but explaining to someone a with little knowledge on wheel fitment, it would be best to advice them on basic rule of thumb and not burden them with a lot of information at once.
Boiling down to the Pilot wheels, or a G1 wheel, it is indeed basically no different from the G2 OEM wheels on fitment (to the fender). As you mentioned, tire profile plays a integral part as they dictate how they fit.

BTW, I do not see an XD128 in a 5x120 pattern.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
...BTW, I do not see an XD128 in a 5x120 pattern.
Right. That's why I think Jsport cut a deal with XD for a proprietary 128-style wheel for their packages, which efeinblatt has now confirmed. There's at least one ROCer here who owns a Jsport RL. I wonder if he could check the inside of his wheels for an offset stamping which most wheels have. That's probably the only way we'll find out what offset they went with. But it may not be stamped if Jsport wanted to keep the spec proprietary. I suggested 35mm because it's very common on aftermarket wheels and because the XD Heist wheel that's listed at tirerack to fit the G2 has 35mm offset. Although that wheel comes in a 5X120 pattern, the center bore is not hubcentric for Honda. Tirerack includes hubcentric rings when you order the wheel for a Ridgeline.

Edit: Just checked tirerack again and all 8 wheels that show up when you search for a match for a 2019 RTL-E AWD RL have 34-38mm offset, FWIW.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right. That's why I think Jsport cut a deal with XD for a proprietary 128-style wheel for their packages, which efeinblatt has now confirmed. There's at least one ROCer here who owns a Jsport RL. I wonder if he could check the inside of his wheels for an offset stamping which most wheels have.

Oooooh, it would be terrific, DogOnBoard, to get that info from someone on this message board. Do you remember his or her username?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts