Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Just to be clear, the Machete XD 128 isn't even available in a 5/120 bolt pattern and the offset of the 5/127 is 0! So when Jsport says they bring the wheel in line with OEM specs, they are talking about many things: bolt pattern, offset, hub centric, and maybe even weight. They really have customized the wheel for the RL.

Do we agree that the Chase wheel is the Heist and that Jsport is simply being obscure about identifying it?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
Just to be clear, the Machete XD 128 isn't even available in a 5/120 bolt pattern and the offset of the 5/127 is 0! So when Jsport says they bring the wheel in line with OEM specs, they are talking about many things: bolt pattern, offset, hub centric, and maybe even weight. They really have customized the wheel for the RL.
My earlier post (post #25) indicated the part number for a XD128 (XD12878552734) which is a 5x120. Though it is not advertised on KMC's website, it is available and I believe they are around 44lbs (approx).
For example Custom Offset (https://www.customwheeloffset.com/buy-wheel-offset/XD12878552734/xd-xd128-17x85-34-custom-wheels) carries them as a package for $237.00 a wheel.
Custom Wheels Express (https://www.customwheelsexpress.com...tom-wheels-rims-p-2360.html?mpn=XD12878552734) has it for $219 a weel and comes with locking lugs.

What throws me off is the OEM specs and OEM is a standard 18x8 and +55mm offset. I do not see what could be 'extensive research' on these wheels to fit the G2 Ridgeline and G3 Pilot. Yet again, if they are tight lipped about it, then I guess it is a loss, unless someone who has purchased these wheels/package can send us a picture of the wheel stamping.

Honestly, I think I have done more than enough dive into the Jsport topic and do not have anything more valuable to share. :smile:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Yeah, I forgot about that one which you dug up Praveen. Is this, then, the Jsport custom wheel? It's hub centric, so maybe so. Anywhooo, good work (again) Praveen.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
The XD Machete is not the same wheel as the XD128. It looks similar but it's a different wheel. Tirerack lists the 17" XD128 for other trucks at 30 lbs, not 44 lbs. Jsport claims the XD128 in their kits is an exclusive design. The only thing I can think of that might be exclusive would be a special offset to accommodate the front lift and maximize wheel well clearance in the RL. Keeping OEM specs might refer to maintaining front track width after the Jsport leveling kit is installed. I doubt that they were able to trim any weight off the wheel.

I think Jsport probably did try several wheels and tire combos when developing their packages. I suspect they were looking for the most ground clearance without trading off too many handling or ride qualities of the stock RL. What I like about the Heist wheel is the reduced weight -- just 23 lbs. That leaves more wiggle room for upgrading to heavier AT tires without adding too much unsprung weight on each wheel. I'm just not crazy about the Heist color or styling, and I'd prefer a hub centric design.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
As I explore this further I took a look at the Nitto Terra Grabbers in the Jsport Basic version, 255/60/18, but am a bit put off by the extra weight of the tire over stock: 41.17 lbs. vs 31 lbs, or 10 lbs more unsprung weight on each wheel. Then I looked at the Terra Grappler 2 in a larger size that many ROC members are using, 265/60/18, and that tire actually weighs less: 38.42 lbs. So, I wrote to Nitto and asked the question: why??? Here's the answer for you geeks.

Thank you for contacting Nitto Tire.

In regards to your question, the difference in weight between the two tires you provided is due to the internal construction of the tires. The Terra Grappler 255/60R18 is made up of a total of 8 plys while the Terra Grappler G2 265/60R18 is made up of 7 plys.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
^^^What are the load ratings for those tires? I would expect to see a higher load rating for the heavier tire...and possibly much higher than OEM Firestones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
^^^What are the load ratings for those tires? I would expect to see a higher load rating for the heavier tire...and possibly much higher than OEM Firestones.
2469 lbs @50 psi for the 255/60R18 112S XL
2403 lbs @50 psi for the 245/65R17 111T XL

One of the reasons that Jsport sticks with the first gen Nitto TG in the 245/70/17 size is that is comes in a SL version whilst the 2nd gen tire only comes in a LT version with a significant weight increase.

Maybe, just maybe, the sweet spot is to take a reduction in diameter AND weight with the 2nd gen Nitto (1 inch to .5 inches) whilst enjoying an increase in load/ply rating. That's what the 245/65R17 111T XL Nitto TG 2 gives you.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
^^^Maybe. The 245/65R17 is essentially the same diameter as the stock tire (29.5" vs. 29.6"), so you will gain nothing in ground clearance. But you have significantly increased your load rating from the OEM 2039 lbs (105H) to 2403 lbs. That may be enough to affect ride quality -- a noticeably stiffer ride that you may or may not appreciate, and the steering might feel heavier, not as nimble. You're also dropping in speed rating class from H to T. These could be just quibblings, though.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
The XD Machete is not the same wheel as the XD128. It looks similar but it's a different wheel.
How so? KMC Wheels, on their own website, identifies the wheel as an XD128 Machete (http://www.kmcwheels.com/wheel/24333/xd128-machete). Many websites, excluding Tire Rack, identifies it as such (example: https://www.realtruck.com/php/search.php?search_terms=xd128).

If you are looking at Tire Rack, you maybe looking at the XD series 'Machete Dually' and 'XD128' as they are different looking wheels.

Looking at different part numbers for an XD128 in the 17x8.5" size and a +34mm offset, it seems to be around 33~34lbs.
I think the earlier weight I listed was the shipping weight w/lugs :| and not the item weight.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
...If you are looking at Tire Rack, you maybe looking at the XD series 'Machete Dually' and 'XD128' as they are different looking wheels. Looking at different part numbers for an XD128 in the 17x8.5" size and a +34mm offset, it seems to be around 33~34lbs...
Yeah, I only looked at tirerack where they have the Machete Dually wheel and they don't link the XD128 to the Machete name at all. For weight, I just went with the 2018 4WD Tacoma application where they list the 17" XD128 at 30.0 lbs. I can see that more offset would likely add some weight too. Thanks for the correction and additional information.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 · (Edited)
^^^Maybe. The 245/65R17 is essentially the same diameter as the stock tire (29.5" vs. 29.6"), so you will gain nothing in ground clearance. But you have significantly increased your load rating from the OEM 2039 lbs (105H) to 2403 lbs. That may be enough to affect ride quality -- a noticeably stiffer ride that you may or may not appreciate, and the steering might feel heavier, not as nimble. You're also dropping in speed rating class from H to T. These could be just quibblings, though.
Yeah, you're right. I've been juggling way too many numbers in my head.... 8% more sidewall and 3% more diameter, so no great shakes in lift. You'd have to go to the 265/65R17 116T XL, which weighs 38 lb in the TG 2 or stick with everyone's favorite - and the title of the original post - 245/70/17 at 37 lbs. Back to the drawing board....ugh

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
...I've been juggling way too many numbers in my head...
LOL! I know the feeling. Keep in mind that when you get to the 1"+ tire diameter (30.6"), you start running into rubbing issues, depending on tire brand, tread width etc. Also note that the 245/70R17 Nitto TGs have a listed diameter of 30.3", so that's a bit shy of the 1"+ tire spec that Jsport touts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Also note that the 245/70R17 Nitto TGs have a listed diameter of 30.3", so that's a bit shy of the 1"+ tire spec that Jsport touts.
Yes, this is one of the reasons I've kept this tire on the front burner - both the diameter and tread depth are ever so slightly smaller than other ATs, and I'm willing to sacrifice the tiny loss of lift to clear without rubbing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Cochise111, just for our information .... where did you get the KMC XD 128 Machete Wheels? On KMC's own site, they don't come in a 17inch 5x120 bolt pattern. Just wondering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cochise111, just for our information .... where did you get the KMC XD 128 Machete Wheels? On KMC's own site, they don't come in a 17inch 5x120 bolt pattern. Just wondering.
Also want to know this information. Have found the 5*120 Machetes few and far between on the internet outside of JSport.

Also - could we arrange a group buy for the special Machetes in 17"? I'm in...

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
^^^Would also be good to know the actual weight of a 17" 5X120 35mm offset Machete. If it really is 32 lbs, that's about 5 lbs more than G2 OEM alloy wheels. Add more weight with an AT tire choice and there could be significant compromises involved (stuff that you're not likely to hear from J-sport).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also want to know this information. Have found the 5*120 Machetes few and far between on the internet outside of JSport.

Also - could we arrange a group buy for the special Machetes in 17"? I'm in...
I deduced the XD part number for the Jsport machete wheels. XD12878552434

Called shop for ordering them in 17" and XD says they have been discontinued for a while now. Few sets running around on the interwebs, Amazon of all places. JSport apparently did a limited run and is probably sitting on them.

I've opted to keep my stock wheels as I don't like any other options.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
I deduced the XD part number for the Jsport machete wheels. XD12878552434
The is the same as XD12878552734, only difference is the color. I was talking about these a month ago and Cowboys Customs lists them on their webstore. Worth asking.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 120 Posts