Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
The tires are fine it's the wheels that are tight. Not all 17" wheels are the same either some might have bette clearance and some might have worse just depends on the barrel design.

The tires seems to fit well I've never gone full lock and got underneath it to look though. Might just barely be making it but who knows. Fits well for me even gone off-road a few times without issue.
Ah, got it. Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
They're MST Suzuka 17x7.5 +25. I really wanted some black RPF1s but these were too good a deal.
I cant find much on those wheels on MST's website, but looks like they are all 5x114.3 pattern. Are you running an adapter on it or was it custom machined for a 5x120?
Also, the load rating is 1521lbs on those wheels and the G2 requires a 1609.5lbs minimum. Was this information available to you when purchasing the wheel?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I cant find much on those wheels on MST's website, but looks like they are all 5x114.3 pattern. Are you running an adapter on it or was it custom machined for a 5x120?
Also, the load rating is 1521lbs on those wheels and the G2 requires a 1609.5lbs minimum. Was this information available to you when purchasing the wheel?
I got lucky finding them they were some sort of demo wheel 5x120 I wouldn’t run an adapter.

I’m really not worried about the load rating as I doubt I’ll ever have the truck fully loaded up anyways.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
I’m really not worried about the load rating as I doubt I’ll ever have the truck fully loaded up anyways.
I am sure you are not worried, but the load rating is not just a safety requirement for you and your occupants, but also others around you. If you have a failure during the operation of the truck while using these wheels and the wheels were the cause of that failure (or could have prevented further failures) and the result is harm (or even worse) for someone else, it would be a huge misfortune for everyone included. One could have no issues with these for thousands of times; all it takes is just that one time.
I have had this conversation in OdyClub with a member who used wheels intended for a CTR on his van because it looked nice. The debate had two sides, and the comments about safety went about the wayside as the attitude was pretty much the same as yours.

I recommend that you look past the aesthetics, financial investment in these wheels, understand the risk and the consequences in an event of failure prior to moving forward. I implore you to reconsider the decision.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let me clarify what I meant. I fully understand what load ratings are and am not worried about it.

what I don’t think you’re considering is this is a truck. They planned those ratings off the thing being fully loaded, towing its max limit, etc. I never do any of those items so I’m sure Honda put in a large safety buffer I am no where near. Appreciate the concern but I’m sure I’m plenty safe.

PS I had a 2017 CTR for 3 years I tracked the crap out of. Using all the rumble strips etc. those OEM 20s are weak garbage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm thinking of going with 245/70/17s on my G2, and am curious what those of you who went this route think about the following:

Acceleration
Gas Mileage
Handling

Any notable difference in those categories? From my research I've seen plenty about fitment, and tire performance/grip, curious what the real world experience is with the above. The extra bump in size is fairly negligible compared to the 245/65/17s so I may just stay with a size that I know I like, but I'd like the bit of extra clearance and extra sidewall for beat up/unmaintained roads. I'm planning to get the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrains, had them on my G1 and they were awesome.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What's the most aggressive looking AT tire you guys have come across that is quiet in this size? I just put on some Toyo open country AT3 in 245/70/17 from DTD and after reading thru countless reviews of how praising how quiet this tire is, its really not that quiet on road. Yes i can still talk to my passengers without shouting, but its certainly noticeable. Unless these reviewers are all coming from MT. I also have a coworker with the falken wildpeak at3w that said the same about those tires. I checked reviews and reviewers are praising that tire too for its quietness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What's the most aggressive looking AT tire you guys have come across that is quiet in this size? I just put on some Toyo open country AT3 in 245/70/17 and after reading thru countless reviews of how praising how quiet this tire is, its really not that quiet on road. Yes i can still talk to my passengers without shouting, but its certainly noticeable. Unless these reviewers are all coming from MT. I also have a coworker with the falken wildpeak at3w that said the same about those tires. I checked reviews and reviewers are praising that tire too for its quietness.
I have heard the Continental Terraincontact A/T is quiet but, then I am also going by what others have said. Shame about the Toyo open country AT3. I like the looks of them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have heard the Continental Terraincontact A/T is quiet but, then I am also going by what others have said. Shame about the Toyo open country AT3. I like the looks of them.
it could just be me, my wife didn't seem bothered by the sound. I do like these tires other than the noise, they were one of the lightest i could find too at 37lbs according to discount tire. My new wheel combo is 59lbs compared to the stock 58lbs. When shopping I was really looking for that aggressive side wall and wanted to go Nitto ridge grapplers but unfortunately they don't offer it in this size and with my wheel offset I couldn't fit a 265/65/17 without major rubbing.

Here's a photo along with my custom flush mounted center caps.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the Pirellio Scorpion All Terrain Plus on my 2006 Ridgeline and loved them. Going to be getting the same for my 2017 within the next few weeks. Very quiet on the road, solid deep treads for performance, and really aggressive look.

20201212_185730.jpg

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,501 Posts
From my experience, the quietest AT tire was the Dynapros. The second one was the Terra Grappler (original). The loud one is the Grabber AT2.
However, I hated the Dynapros, the Grapplers were awesome, but could use some burliness to it. The Grabber AT2 is a beast for the money without much of the weight penalty. It is even better if you get it in the 255/60/R-18 configuration.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had the Pirellio Scorpion All Terrain Plus on my 2006 Ridgeline and loved them. Going to be getting the same for my 2017 within the next few weeks. Very quiet on the road, solid deep treads for performance, and really aggressive look.

View attachment 412883

i may consider these next time around, i don't think i can return the ones i have.

EDIT: but i also see noise complaints on these Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus Tire Reviews (6 Reviews)

·
Registered
15 Posts
i may consider these next time around, i don't think i can return the ones i have.

EDIT: but i also see noise complaints on these Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus Tire Reviews (6 Reviews)
Opinions on road noise is very subjective, and all relative. Compared to straight all seasons that are slightly louder in my experience, but negligible for an all terrain type tire. Again, that's just my perception. For a larger sample size, check out the reviews on tire rack. Out of 110 reviews, they received an 8.4 average for road noise. When I compared that to other on/off road all terrain that was one of, if not the highest ratings.

I haven't tried others, but I think that the more of an all season type tread you get, the quieter they will be. If you value quiet over off road performance you may want to try to get something like the new Firestone that Honda puts on the 2021s. From what I understand, it's essentially an all season with some knobs on the side to give a more aggressive appearance. For me, I wanted to find a balance between good performance on unmaintained roads with dirt/mud, snow, without much compromise for on road performance, comfort, and noise. I was very happy with how the Pirellis fit that criteria, but there may be better options that I don't know about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
it could just be me, my wife didn't seem bothered by the sound. I do like these tires other than the noise, they were one of the lightest i could find too at 37lbs according to discount tire. My new wheel combo is 59lbs compared to the stock 58lbs. When shopping I was really looking for that aggressive side wall and wanted to go Nitto ridge grapplers but unfortunately they don't offer it in this size and with my wheel offset I couldn't fit a 265/65/17 without major rubbing.

Here's a photo along with my custom flush mounted center caps.
Your truck looks great and I'm not a big fan of gold wheels. It looks more aggressive with the rim and tire combo and you don't even have a lift. (y) :cool:

·
Registered
2021 WBE
200 Posts
Just picked up my '21 WBE. Immediately (dealer shares lot with a discount tire! lol) put on the following:
17x8 KMC 708 (in black)
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s in 245/70/17s

No rub at full lock, but it's razor close. Will get some better pictures in the sun this weekend!

Quick reactions:
Pros
1. Noticeable ride height improvement
2. Better over bumps
3. No discernable increase in road noise
4. This setup is basically stock weight (23.5 for wheel, 37 for tire)

Cons:
Feels a bit splashier for turning at medium speed

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport
19 Posts
Just picked up my '21 WBE. Immediately (dealer shares lot with a discount tire! lol) put on the following:
17x8 KMC 708 (in black)
Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s in 245/70/17s

No rub at full lock, but it's razor close. Will get some better pictures in the sun this weekend!

Quick reactions:
Pros
1. Noticeable ride height improvement
2. Better over bumps
3. No discernable increase in road noise

Cons:
Feels a bit splashier for turning at medium speed
How tall is that tire exactly? Just under/over 30.5"?

101 - 120 of 120 Posts