1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some new shoes!

Before

After

No rubbing on full lock. They're quiet and they seem softer over bumps so far. Makes sense with the taller sidewall. Just drove it a short ways home from the tire store. I'll post impressions in the next few days. I won't be able to compare fuel mileage to the stock tires since I put them on at 113 miles. I'll also try and get some better pictures later on.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Those definitely fill out the wheel wells, better. Nice! You can compare your MPG results on these to the EPA standards... you'll get a close enough comparison for others to get an idea if this is a good route to go. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
741 Posts
One request... can you get a close-up pic of both front and rear so we can get a better feel for the "fill" of the wells?

Thanks!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got this one, but the lighting isn't the best.

Here are some pics showing the clearance at full turn. It's tight, but I don't think it'll rub even when flexing, the closest bit of plastic is vertical, nothing immediately above the tire to contact if it raises in relation to the wheel well. I'd estimate an inch or less on each side. I can measure later.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts
That looks really cool! Now all you have to do is get that JSport leveling kit and you'll be all set.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Up here in snow country, that tight fit could be a real problem when you get slush that freezes in the wheel wells while you drive. I think I'd be stopping every 15 min. to clear it.
Nah... Think you'd be fine. No worst than any other vehicle filling the wheel well.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,344 Posts
Speedo and odo will be affected by the change in tire rolling diameter. Any MPG calcs will be likewise affected.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Speedo and odo will be affected by the change in tire rolling diameter. Any MPG calcs will be likewise affected.
I'll take that into account. The difference is minimal though. One of the reasons I went with the 265/60 vs the 255/65.

Drove on the highway this morning. Very quiet, OEM's weren't terrible, but these are noticeably better. I don't have any complaints about noise, that's for sure. Also very comfortable. Only issue is that the particular tire store I went to didn't' balance the tires well. Though, I've yet to find anyone who does. I guess I get to try again and give them another opportunity to scratch my wheels (they already gave me one small scratch).

Here are some more pictures. I'm not worried about snow build up here in Atlanta :) I don't think it'd be a huge problem though, still a good bit of clearance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
cdubculvy
Have you considered getting the TRUXXX lift kit? Just wondering. I am planning on getting those same tires and adding the 1,5 inch lift.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Those where the exact tires I was looking at since I personally think the Firestones are loud, and cant be balanced by my dealership to save their lives. I freakin hate them. Thanks for being the test mule! What pressure are you running them at?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cdubculvy
Have you considered getting the TRUXXX lift kit? Just wondering. I am planning on getting those same tires and adding the 1,5 inch lift.
Not really interested in the lift now. If, in the future, someone comes out with a 0.5" leveling puck I may consider it. Just don't want to deviate from stock too much. I'm happy with it as it is now.

Those where the exact tires I was looking at since I personally think the Firestones are loud, and cant be balanced by my dealership to save their lives. I freakin hate them. Thanks for being the test mule! What pressure are you running them at?
Interesting that they can't balance the Firestones, mine were like glass from the factory. The dealers/tire stores like to blame the tires, I blame the people. The Michelins are horribly unbalanced (not really, but I'm very picky) at the moment. Stay tuned though, I'm convinced the shop just did a crappy job. I saw them hammering weights on the inner rim yet they left the OEM sticky weights inside the barrel. So they balanced the new tires with the old weights on the rims, wtf??? I think at this point in my life, if I ever see someone do something right the first time I'll faint in disbelief.

Right now they set them to the stock pressure of 35 (34?) psi. I think it's too low, I'm going to raise them to 37-38 and see how I like it. They're a tiny tiny bit splashy at the moment, but nothing terrible. It's hard to compare though as I just came from driving a car that handled pretty well. I will hopefully get them balanced correctly this evening. I'll report back.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You may want to take it to the Honda dealer and get them balanced correctly (road force?). I don't know about Honda dealers because I just bought mine, but Toyota always uses Hunter machines with Roadforce balancing and they were perfect every time I put a new set on. Plus they're less likely to destroy your rims.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You may want to take it to the Honda dealer and get them balanced correctly (road force?). I don't know about Honda dealers because I just bought mine, but Toyota always uses Hunter machines with Roadforce balancing and they were perfect every time I put a new set on. Plus they're less likely to destroy your rims.
I've had Honda dealers scratch my rims just rotating the tires. It's all a crap shoot.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Here are some pics showing the clearance at full turn. It's tight, but I don't think it'll rub even when flexing, the closest bit of plastic is vertical, nothing immediately above the tire to contact if it raises in relation to the wheel well. I'd estimate an inch or less on each side. I can measure later.
Thanks for being one of the early guinea pigs. Yours are 30.5, correct? Do you think a 31" diameter tire would rub?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An update for anyone interested...

I got the tires road forced balance and they are good to go, smooth as silk. They had to remount two of them and index them with the wheels since the tires were slightly out of round. I had my Lexus dealer do the work since I take my wife's car there and they're as careful as these places get. Guess what, still scratched my wheels. It's on the inside of the rim but I noticed it immediately. They used a rubber abrasive bit on a drill to remove the previous weight adhesive and the shroud from the bit contacted the rim. They offered to have them fixed, I told them I'd take them off when I got time and see how they look when I buff them. The best way to deal with scratches from these idiots is just to not look closely at your wheels :)

FYI, I run the tires at 37psi cold. They're super comfortable at the stock 35 but just a little splashy for my tastes. 37 is still a great ride (stock like) but handles better. One thing that really impressed me is how well they do in water. I was trying to get them to hydroplane in large puddles and it was difficult. All around they're excellent, quiet, comfortable, grippy. I highly recommend these tires.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Keep in mind you are about 1 inch in diameter greater than the stock tire. This translates to your speedometer indicating 2-1/4 mph slower than your actual speed at 65mph.

·
Registered
932 Posts
A lot of stock speedometers aren't accurate anyways and often are set to show faster than actual to cover the manufacturers.

I should GPS mine one of these days just to see what's doin. Also running 265s.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts