Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

i continue to talk to various dealers looking for a good deal - it seems to be bottoming out around $29,988 (plus sales tax at 8.25% and DMV fee around $300) for RTL (Silver) with Navi and no accessories. Comments appreciated from other bay area buyers. i found useful info on craigslist.org and this seems to be a good price.

now my question is that the dealer has a 150 mile returned Ridgeline (RTL, Navi) which was returned to dealer in 2 days after the buyer bought it, is spotless, no issues and has been on the lot for 100+ days now. the dealer will go another $1500 lower for that one. the VIN # is 2H***165X6H519532 on this truck.

Is this one of the VINs that had some early production issues? should i be worried at all about buying this truck vs. a brand new one with less than 5 miles on the odometer?

ALL replies greatly appreciated since I am (finally) buying this week.

With our ridgeline, my wife and i are going to be travelling across the US, CAnada and Mexico. Should I go for snow-tires in Canada and a block heater once I am up there? Edmontonians? I will be in Alberta and BC in Nov and Ontario in late Nov/Dec.

Of course, the reader's suggestions on nice drives are welcome as well - especially those that will use the ridgeline's plus points nicely (offroading in Death Valley for example) and allow us to go where our cars cant necessarily take us.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Do you know what is vin for the new one? It might be in the same group. Mine has a vin of 3200. I don't have any of the problems seen here on this forum, except maybe the windshield noise, and thats another story. At any rate that is a very good deal. good luck

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the new one which has only been on the lot for 3 weeks has VIN #
2HJYK16506H54323

seems similar to the "returned" truck

·
Registered
236 Posts
Got this from the checklist.

1. Wind noise - starts at 40mph coming from the windshield. Most likely upper molding. Any RL with a VIN # ending with 16000 or higher should have this fixed.
The Ridgeline I took for an overnight test drive had the wind noise. I told the salesman so they could fix it before the next customer drove it. I doubt if they do it.

Hope that helps.

RidgeInTheVille

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd say ask the dealer if it was returned due to a wind noise problem as stated above. If so, just make sure they replaced the windshield and if not, either tell him to fix it before you buy or tell em you'll test drive it (so you can see/hear for yourself) and if it has the wind noise tell the dealer you want it fixed before you purchase. At that price it's a steal. I thought getting it at invoice was a steal but I was also picky on color and mileage and have had mine for five months now. I got mine with 5 miles, right off the truck, but at the time, through craigslist I could have gotten another thousand off if I was flexible on the color. Call me picky, I paid for it and I wouldn't give it up. No regrets. This is my first vehicle with navi and though I don't use it all the time it has come in handy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tux said:
I'd say ask the dealer if it was returned due to a wind noise problem as stated above. If so, just make sure they replaced the windshield and if not, either tell him to fix it before you buy or tell em you'll test drive it (so you can see/hear for yourself) and if it has the wind noise tell the dealer you want it fixed before you purchase. At that price it's a steal. I thought getting it at invoice was a steal but I was also picky on color and mileage and have had mine for five months now. I got mine with 5 miles, right off the truck, but at the time, through craigslist I could have gotten another thousand off if I was flexible on the color. Call me picky, I paid for it and I wouldn't give it up. No regrets. This is my first vehicle with navi and though I don't use it all the time it has come in handy.

Shoot...$29,988 is a steal. I wouldn't even hesitate to pay that for a new one. The Nav system is really nice - not just for the nav, but for the voice command for the stereo and temp, etc. I am VERY glad I opted for it.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
That is a pretty good price at the moment providing they fix the problem areas.:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
final price came in at 29,750 even plus tax/dmv.

and now for the road-trip - suggestions (on roads/tours) welcome for the states of:
Nevada, Utah, NM, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, IL, NY, Maine, Vermont, Quebec, Ontario,
and Mexico

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well if you are going to be in Maine go to Acadia National Park, it is lovely. There are also a few forts up in Maine if you are interested in that sort of things, and plenty of back wood drives you can take if you don't mind getting the truck dirty. Baxter State Park is also nice, not coastal but a nice set of mountains to climb and look at. Really depends on the time of year you are talking about being in the area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we will be on the road beginning next week and through dec/jan so no fall foliage for us (we assume it is already too late though we can dash up to Maine in about 5-6 days if colors are still around).

First impressions after picking up the truck last evening -- the "old" style headlamps are not as good as they should be - Honda should have put on the bi xenon headlamps. the light from the RL lights is noticeably 'yellow'

anyone know any aftermarket headlamps for RL?

no wind noise or other issues just yet.

·
Registered
774 Posts
palo-alto said:
we will be on the road beginning next week and through dec/jan so no fall foliage for us (we assume it is already too late though we can dash up to Maine in about 5-6 days if colors are still around).

First impressions after picking up the truck last evening -- the "old" style headlamps are not as good as they should be - Honda should have put on the bi xenon headlamps. the light from the RL lights is noticeably 'yellow'

anyone know any aftermarket headlamps for RL?

no wind noise or other issues just yet.
You got an outstanding buy on your Ridgeline, one of the best I've heard. You couldn't buy a non-Navi Ridgeline for what you paid a short while ago. By the way, I'm a little surprised on your headlight comment. I find the RL's headlights to be quite good, far better than my '04 Accord's headlights. May I recommend adding foglights- my Honda foglights do a great job of adding extra lighting. Enjoy your new truck. Post some pics.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
foglights may be a good idea - where are they mounted? is there a spot/wiring already? if so, i may just put them in right away - does Hella make any ridgeline cmpatible lights yet?

·
Registered
201 Posts
palo-alto said:
final price came in at 29,750 even plus tax/dmv.

and now for the road-trip - suggestions (on roads/tours) welcome for the states of:
Nevada, Utah, NM, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, IL, NY, Maine, Vermont, Quebec, Ontario,
and Mexico
Actually, the best road trip you could possibly make would by to ROC @ the Rock in two weeks. A nice long cross-country jaunt to meet up with your fellow ROC brethren...what could be better!! (And in Cleveland, you might even have snow by then;) )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More 1st impressions

we'd be on hwy 93, US80, 15/40/66 and a bunch of others in the next couple of months - no thoughts on heading east just yet (too late for fall colors already).

more 1st impressions:
- would have liked a better clock (the digital thing is tiny) - i prefer a big round analog one like Mercedes puts in all/most of their cars
- the door unlocking thing is a hassle - factory preset should be all doors unlock when you put it in Park or switch off ignition
- a mpg readout to modulate driving (instant feedback for better driving habits overall)
- instead of flat tops of the truck bed-side panels (where is ribbed plastic currently), there should be something to tie down loads/ropes (holes/slits may be bad for drag but could be considered - maybe pull up or pop up posts with t-things at the top)
- better color choice (a fire-engine red and true steel blue)
- lumbar support on passenger side
- more after driving it a few thousand miles

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The first 500 miles of any vehicle and how it is broken in goes a long way to how long it will last. If you are going to keep the truck for less than the warrenty period miles and then get something else, take the bargain if it is truly spotless. Else, be wary of anything with more than 10 miles on it coming off a new car lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
palo-alto said:
foglights may be a good idea - where are they mounted? is there a spot/wiring already? if so, i may just put them in right away - does Hella make any ridgeline cmpatible lights yet?
Palo. I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey, I just joined and wanted to thank everyone for all the good info and fun thats been posted here.
I am shopping for a RTL Navi here in MD. One quote is 29,995 + tt, $550 destination, and $100 dealer add.good til year end.
Is this the best deal out there? The promotion on right now looks real good, but don't know if prices will stay good after the promotion.
Still tossing it around, love the truck, don't like the MPG. Considering 2 wheel Pilot. Heart says Ridge.
Love this forum, thanks again.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I (we) have both. Trust me go Ridge. Don't get me wrong I like the Pilot, But LOVE the Ridge. And Welcome to the ROC !!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I grew up on pickups and want to get back to them. Just not sure if the Ridge is comfortable in the rear on those long trips to FL.
I notice you have a great color sense ( I like the Amazon Green, too). Did you install the tomtom and Retrax yourself?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes I did. And that says a lot for Retrax because I couldn't tell a torx screw from a fork. Still did it in 1.5 hrs including to Home Depot to get the torx bit.
BTW Green IS the best.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts