Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into a problem with my Mt. bike the other day. It won't fit in my truck! I can get it in the bed but I can't lay it down in a way that I am not scratching/scraping anything. I am making a bike rack that will bolt across the front of the bed on the front top tie down. I found with that set up as well, due to the 29" tires, I will not be able to close the tail gate when my Mt. bike is attached to the rack.
I was wondering how other people transport their 29er with their RL. One solution I did come up with but have not tested yet is to take the 26" rear tire from my old Mt. bike and put on my bike during transport so that I can close the tail gate if needed.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Get yourself a locking fork rack an mount it to the back panel. I use one for my 29r. I will take pix this weekend and put em up. I still cant close the tailgate with the bike straight..gotta pull the rear tire over.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,433 Posts
Here's something you may want to consider:

Background: Fellow ROC member "TRacer" came up with an interesting idea, that he has weight tested, that uses a specific link chain on the right side of the tailgate to help add support when it's down and under load, see thread "http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/6-exterior/41683-6-safety-chain-passenger-side-tailgate.html" for details.

Idea: I was thinking you could do the same thing but only use a few chain links which would put the tailgate in a slightly open position. That way you could keep the tailgate part way closed so it can better secure loose items in the bed and you won't have to twist your 49er so much, making it easier to carry a second bike. You can also do exactly what "TRacer" did and create a full-length safety chain so you can use it when the tailgate is down and under load, but just connect a few links into the tailgate latch when you want to have the tailgate held in a slightly open position, letting the rest of the safety chain dangle.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Here's another option to consider; put it above the bed's tailgate leaving the bed free to hall the front wheel(s) and other fun stuff:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's something you may want to consider:

Background: Fellow ROC member "TRacer" came up with an interesting idea, that he has weight tested, that uses a specific link chain on the right side of the tailgate to help add support when it's down and under load, see thread "http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/6-exterior/41683-6-safety-chain-passenger-side-tailgate.html" for details.

Idea: I was thinking you could do the same thing but only use a few chain links which would put the tailgate in a slightly open position. That way you could keep the tailgate part way closed so it can better secure loose items in the bed and you won't have to twist your 49er so much, making it easier to carry a second bike. You can also do exactly what "TRacer" did and create a full-length safety chain so you can use it when the tailgate is down and under load, but just connect a few links into the tailgate latch when you want to have the tailgate held in a slightly open position, letting the rest of the safety chain dangle.

What do you think?
That is a good idea. I will have to look into that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got a 2013 Sport, and want....no....HAVE to install a bike rack. I have all kinds of bikes, but my question is really about the mounting height. Seems like all the fork mount designs use the top tie-down bolts to mount a cross-bar. The problem with this method it seems will be that the handlebars will be too high to clear the kayak on the roof. Anyone set one up to mount to the lower bolts?

Thanks and happy to have joined the "club".

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got a 2013 Sport, and want....no....HAVE to install a bike rack. I have all kinds of bikes, but my question is really about the mounting height. Seems like all the fork mount designs use the top tie-down bolts to mount a cross-bar. The problem with this method it seems will be that the handlebars will be too high to clear the kayak on the roof. Anyone set one up to mount to the lower bolts?

Do a search for bike racks and you will see some different ideas for how to mount a bike on the RL. Thats how I found a lot of info. There are a lot of different set ups. You could also think about mounting your bikes to face the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts

Here's one that forum user "MoosePond" put together: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/19-mods-installs-how-s/4720-truck-bed-bike-rack.html#post419577

·
Registered
224 Posts
Towed a travel trailer and had both my Cannondale 29ER AND wife's 26" upright in the back. Turn the fork 120 degrees and it fits fine with the tailgate shut, with enough room for the second bike.

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
Towed a travel trailer and had both my Cannondale 29ER AND wife's 26" upright in the back. Turn the fork 120 degrees and it fits fine with the tailgate shut, with enough room for the second bike.
Pictures please...

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Just get a tailgate pad if you don't want to use a hitch rack. I have both -- a Raxter 4 bike hitch rack and a Dakine pad. I only ride 29er's except for my Mukluk fat bike. I have a small diameter krypto cable looped through the tie down, with a larger one that I loop through the front wheel and frame and tie it all together with a u-bolt or a krypto combo cable. Using the pad, you have room behind the cab for duffle bags or small coolers for post ride brews.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts