Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diary: recording your thoughts and feelings in a book.
Blog: recording and sharing your thoughts, feelings and experiences for people to read on the internet.

What do I like about my RL...the location of the gear shifter, the in-bed trunk can hold a full size spare. And the comfortable seats and ride.
This is the first vehicle I've owned that has power windows.

2d1c
: ^ )

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The owner's manual arrived today. Went and picked it up. I can't exclaim with excitement an unboxing moment as we've seen on Youtube because it arrived in a plastic bag.
52213B4D-E418-42A4-9C05-64BEDA49F99B.jpeg

A 400+ page reprinted in black and white novel. One of my favourite sections has to do with specifications. I scratched my head a bit when I read Automatic Transmission Fluid: Change 3.1L, Total 8.0L, or Rear Differential Fluid: Change 2.64L, Total 2.85L. Why the two different volumes of fluid?

64BB15B8-1057-4513-9AD3-656068F3C5E2_1_201_a.jpeg

2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Woohoo! Registered and plated. I was the 6th person in line at 7:15 this morning, and Access Nova Scotia doesn't open until 8:30. It didn't rain which means I didn't need to use my umbrella, lol. The number of customers has been limited to 25 at a time in the motor vehicle branch. There must have been at least 50 people behind me by the time I went in.

Things are coming together...the other day I found a two month old ad on FB for steel rims with the caps. They were still for sale. I scooped them up and hauled them back today. They must have been in a barn, all I could smell was manure - must have been some manure on the caps that were in the back on the floor. I must have been a farmer in a previous life, I like the smell of cow manure and hay. The rims will be for my winter tires. I'll have the rims stripped and painted. I have to order washers and nuts though.

5F2A5582-0ABF-44F5-9A70-684288F374E6.jpeg

And tomorrow I'm having the all-season tires replaced. I don't know why there are 265/70R17's on now, I'm going back to the original size of 245/65R17's with ContiCrossContact LX20's. Why the LX20's? Well, I subscribe to Consumer Reports and follow their tire testing and rankings, ex. of their 2016 picks.
The day after the tires are replaced I'm dropping the RL off at the shop to have our mechanic inspect it - the New Brunswick inspection sticker needs to be replaced with a NS inspection sticker which means it has to go up on the hoist.
I haven't had a chance to look at the radiator hose fittings yet. Or the cabin and engine air filters.

2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yesterday the folks at the tire shop shook their heads in disbelief when they told me they found that the wheels had been shimmed. The nuts were held on by only a few threads. Wow.
58DCEB6A-6885-416A-BE65-AD227E2EF678.jpeg

Driving the RL away from the tire shop with new tires on was definitely a different experience that brought a smile to my face.
C7962183-24B0-4F23-86C4-6E71B238E4DC.jpeg

Bali blue sure has a nice sparkly purpley effect in the sunshine, photo doesn't do it justice.

Late this afternoon I picked up the truck from the shop with a brand new NS inspection sticker. When I dropped it off last night I left a print out of an APA inspection form for our mechanic. I added engine mounts for cracks and corroded fittings for the radiator. I was surprised he actually used it because I thought the service desk may lose it in another pile of work orders. No issues with the engine mounts or fittings. I'll still have a look at the fittings so I know where they are in the engine compartment. He wrote a few things down, 'LF strut maybe undercoating?', 'inner side of front brakes showing signs of corrosion', and 'age cracking on front control arm bushings (but pass)'. I didn't get a chance to ask him about his notes. Truck sounds pretty healthy to me.

Before I left I talked with the fellow behind the service counter for a bit. He's owned Honda vehicles, and likes them. And if I wasn't sure of the RL's maintenance history, he suggested that at certain mileage, this and that fluid would be replaced and at this mileage the timing belt should be replaced. I was smiling under my covid mask. All I could think about was: maintenance minder, maintenance minder, maintenance minder, lol. I didn't say anything because he didn't have the I-know-everything attitude and he wasn't pushy, he was only trying to be helpful.

2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Through the vast threads of ROC, I've come across references to OBDII readers/scanners and how invaluable they can be. I googled OBD and found this video: Engineering Explained.
I'm sure there are many brands of OBDII scanners out there and did I want to spend a lot of time researching, not really. I'm a bit worn out from RL hunting. So I ordered the OBDLink MX+ from a distributor in BC. And it arrived today.

032454EE-89CE-4A22-B042-E290DD22312F.jpeg

B86D515E-B744-4335-8E4B-961578B63677.jpeg

325C3439-27D9-4945-BFCB-4EF47DA5CB46_1_201_a.jpeg

With Speedlever's help I finally found under the dash the OBD port: here

I played with the app a bit on my phone. Very cool tool.

2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't own golf clubs or hockey gear stuffed into a giant bag....but several bags of refundables....I couldn't help smiling while I folded up the rear seats, such a well thought out feature.

D84E91A1-241F-41E5-8FEB-9973CA7A2BED.jpeg

I'm not very mechanically/electrically inclined so I had the radio and inexpensive back up camera replaced with a Kenwood DDX396 and a CMOS-130 back up camera. Opted not to go with a HU that has navigation. I figure I'll pick up a portable GPS unit we can move from one vehicle to the other. I picked up the RL from the shop this morning and asked if they had a fridge with a freezer. I didn't think the camera would be that tiny and the image looks really good on the screen. I wanted to thank the shop...11:30 am is never too early for a 10 inch ice cream cake ; ^ )

I've discovered a unique feature of the RL that you'll never read online or in a brochure. The feature is the multidirectional, mechanically engineered, multidimensional, precision based levelling zone found in the front row, passenger side. I suspect this unique feature was designed to safely transport cold deliciousness:

22A0C49D-F7BD-4B50-A566-4D617F30A537.jpeg

As per Covid protocol, I entered the shop with my mask on, maintained a safe distance while waiting for counter staff to help me. "Do you have a fridge with a freezer?", I asked. "Yes, we do", as I hand over the chocolate brownie extreme blizzard cake. "Do you have a car in?", I answer with "She said you have a fridge with a freezer?", and he quickly walked into the office as though the cake would melt in mid stride. I quietly laughed and ran away, back to my RL. My disappearing act was a success.

My cell phone rang, I didn't answer because I was driving all over town. Over an hour later I was home. One new voicemail. "Hi, we weren't sure if you wanted us to hold the cake for you, or if it was for us...could you call us back please". "Hi, someone left a voicemail, something about an ice cream cake?". "Yes, we weren't sure if you had a car in the shop and you wanted us to hold on to your cake, or if it was for us because it has 'Thank You' written on it", "The cake was for you, I was really happy with the customer service". I could hear the relief in his voice, "Ooooh, thank you, the cake would not fit in the fridge freezer, we had to eat it".

2d1c

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
270 Posts
Good move! :D

Reactions: 2dogs1cat

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm so happy driving my RL.
Having the back window is quite the treat, as a kid, I remember unlatching and sliding the window halves open.
After I bought the truck, I popped in to the service dept and asked if they could pull up any records with the VIN. Nothing. The search could only go back to 2017. I guess up here that's the year when Honda service departments could begin accessing maintenance records regardless of where the Honda vehicle was sold. Anyway, I had already decided that all the fluids would be changed. I'm glad I did, it runs and shifts......smoother?

Bull bar and running boards are off and the truck has been lowered. Much easier for the both of us to get in and out.
I've put the parts up for sale on Kijiji.

The WeatherTech mats arrived the other day.

3C1D0A89-C58C-4A40-870A-A511E5798E55.jpeg

D1171345-4D6A-42CD-928B-F9CF9158D53B.jpeg BA9F0385-B1B6-4666-A563-4451BA5686DB.jpeg

The mats fit a lot better than the WeatherTech mats we have in our Forester. I may point out features on the RL that tickle me, that's because I've never owned a functional vehicle to this degree. Really appreciate the folding rear seats.

Haven't driven any long road trips, yet.

2d1c

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
270 Posts
I really like my WeatherTech mats. They clean up pretty easily. Wasn't fond of the price I paid, though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered a few VLEDs and they arrived this past week. I replaced the cargo lights, back up and brake lights, and the door courtesy lights. There are plenty of threads about LEDs/VLEDs and I didn't want to create another one so I added on to another thread instead: Full VLEDS conversion

Road trip today. We headed out to Avonport and then to Johnson's Stonehenge Farm to pick up some apples. Our adopted Cortland apple tree will probably be ready for harvest in October. In the meantime we picked up a 10Lb bag of Gravensteins. We're starting to put our truck to work ; ^ )

A355F5D7-1197-4287-9CAD-667313A96D09.jpeg 8F0B784D-65C6-4FB7-AE73-25054D03F318.jpeg

I checked out the cabin filter in the glove box the other day. Relatively clean. Had a look at the tool kit on the spare. I became discombobulated when I tried to put the spare tire tray back and the styrofoam tool kit was snagging on the bed, I referred to the owner's manual, straightened myself and the kit out, the tray slid back into place like peanut butter on toast. The owner left me some tie downs and now I have a few tools in a toolbox. Have to go and find my snow shovel, First Aid kit...

3DE00E27-1AF9-4C75-9EA6-8DEC7EBD10CB.jpeg AC191CCF-E9AD-44EB-BBFE-C141AC2C6757_1_201_a.jpeg

2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today I received news that made me very concerned. I'm trying not to get stressed out over this situation.

I might be losing my RL.

It's been a long process from reviewing a list of potential vehicles that would replace my Toyota Echo to looking at RLs from Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick. I've come to appreciate the RL a lot more as I've driven it, even though I've owned it for less than two months. And that Bali blue paint scheme is fantastic. Last night I took the RL out for a drive to gas it up and stop at the grocery store to buy ice cream. Ice cream, it's always a good excuse to take your RL out for a drive.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I don't have a lot of options.

It started when we dropped off her Forester this morning at the shop for a thorough cleaning inside and out - my birthday present to her. After I dropped off her Forester, I hopped in the Toyota and headed out of town to pick up a small lumber order from Nova Tree. It takes about 1h 20m to get there. In the meantime she needs a vehicle for work. So I said, take the RL. Her Forester is her office, she drives all over town at all hours of the day, through thick and thin traffic. She meets with her clients and takes them to doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, banking, etc. It can be stressful dealing with clients and local traffic at the same time.

I'm driving home and she sends me a text. Oh no. It's not good news, but she's ok.

Her text reads, "I love your truck!!!😘"
It gets worse. I'm finally home and send her a text, "I am home and my legs are stiff". She replied. "I can bet, to cramped up, I still love your truck 😍".

2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cup holder, centre console. Time to replace the cup retainer. I could see gouges in the cup holder from what I would assume to be from a utility knife.

92B4B42D-7B17-42AB-9B16-5D169F4210D5.jpeg

Taking lessons learned from ROC and online videos, I kept the centre console in place and proceeded to remove the five tiny screws. Holy snapping turtles. A reoccurring thought came and went from my mind as I contorted myself on the floor trying to remove the screws, "I'm too old for this." Sometimes you read people's post about working on their vehicle, motorbike or quad and they mention that they have a six pack or a 2 4 of beer on hand. I think I know why, it helps to relax their muscles prior to strenuous activity.

After awhile I finally removed the retainer. My neck and shoulders are pretty stiff right about now, I'll have to ask the Mrs for a massage.

1F0CA0D6-E88C-4716-8F98-90E68B132697.jpeg

Pulled out the new retainer while wondering how on earth am I going to reinsert those itty bitty screws, especially the front corner ones.

DDB23DDA-52DE-4961-8D1A-517D6C45A57A.jpeg

The front three screw holes I cannot see. Installed the two rear screws and the centre screw up front because they were the easiest. I was really dreading installing those corners screws. I don't know how I did it, but I had all 5 screws installed in less than 5 minutes. I was on the verge of shedding tears of joy.

CE49316E-4647-4E8E-8CAD-37C78946D96C.jpeg

I wanted to give myself a treat. Unfortunately we ate all the ice cream before Teddy arrived. Instead I made myself a sandwich for lunch. An open rosemary, sea salt, and olive oil bagel sandwich with canned salmon, some spinach leaves and fresh tomato from our garden. It tasted so good.

D7833689-0C99-4105-82C2-2AC495A681AE.jpeg

2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TPMS kicked in for the rear, r/h tire. Checked it out with the inflator and the pressure is down to 24 psi. Did a visual and physical check and didn’t find anything, I’ll look at the tire again later. Discovered I have to turn the truck on so the inflator would have enough power from the console rear accessory power socket.

58FB8B13-CB83-44CB-BCDB-AFB40A232034.jpeg

I forgot that I had subscribed to AllDataDIY when we bough the Forester. I renewed my subscription for a year specifically for the Ridgeline.

Replaced the console rear accessory power socket cap assembly, write up: here.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,670 Posts
The owner's manual arrived today. Went and picked it up. I can't exclaim with excitement an unboxing moment as we've seen on Youtube because it arrived in a plastic bag.
View attachment 404996

A 400+ page reprinted in black and white novel. One of my favourite sections has to do with specifications. I scratched my head a bit when I read Automatic Transmission Fluid: Change 3.1L, Total 8.0L, or Rear Differential Fluid: Change 2.64L, Total 2.85L. Why the two different volumes of fluid?

View attachment 404998

2d1c
The trans fluid difference is because the TC holds a fair amount of fluid. I don't know of any way to exchange the entire fluid short of hooking up the intake to a fresh bucket of DW-1 and connecting the outflow to a waste bucket and letting the engine driven pump exchange the fluid.

Or just do multiple drain and fills like most of the rest of us.

I suspect the rear diff fluid difference is because of retained fluid within the mechanism too.

Yesterday the folks at the tire shop shook their heads in disbelief when they told me they found that the wheels had been shimmed. The nuts were held on by only a few threads. Wow.
View attachment 405067

Driving the RL away from the tire shop with new tires on was definitely a different experience that brought a smile to my face.
View attachment 405066

Bali blue sure has a nice sparkly purpley effect in the sunshine, photo doesn't do it justice.

Late this afternoon I picked up the truck from the shop with a brand new NS inspection sticker. When I dropped it off last night I left a print out of an APA inspection form for our mechanic. I added engine mounts for cracks and corroded fittings for the radiator. I was surprised he actually used it because I thought the service desk may lose it in another pile of work orders. No issues with the engine mounts or fittings. I'll still have a look at the fittings so I know where they are in the engine compartment. He wrote a few things down, 'LF strut maybe undercoating?', 'inner side of front brakes showing signs of corrosion', and 'age cracking on front control arm bushings (but pass)'. I didn't get a chance to ask him about his notes. Truck sounds pretty healthy to me.

Before I left I talked with the fellow behind the service counter for a bit. He's owned Honda vehicles, and likes them. And if I wasn't sure of the RL's maintenance history, he suggested that at certain mileage, this and that fluid would be replaced and at this mileage the timing belt should be replaced. I was smiling under my covid mask. All I could think about was: maintenance minder, maintenance minder, maintenance minder, lol. I didn't say anything because he didn't have the I-know-everything attitude and he wasn't pushy, he was only trying to be helpful.

2d1c
The shimmed wheels issue was a big eye opener. Fitment issues with the custom wheels? I'd be concerned about the load rating of them vs the OEM wheels.

As regards the unknown maintenance history of a used vehicle, I think it's always best to do a full fluid and filter change to establish the maintenance baseline. From there you can get back on track with the MM (but you'll end up changing some fluids/filters early).

Through the vast threads of ROC, I've come across references to OBDII readers/scanners and how invaluable they can be. I googled OBD and found this video: Engineering Explained.
I'm sure there are many brands of OBDII scanners out there and did I want to spend a lot of time researching, not really. I'm a bit worn out from RL hunting. So I ordered the OBDLink MX+ from a distributor in BC. And it arrived today.

View attachment 405103

View attachment 405104

View attachment 405105

With Speedlever's help I finally found under the dash the OBD port: here

I played with the app a bit on my phone. Very cool tool.

2d1c
I bought the BT version of this about 5 years ago. Works fine for me.

Nice blog btw. I enjoyed reading your comments (and just discovered it).

Hope you don't lose your Ridgeline, but at least it will stay in the family!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
...Hope you don't lose your Ridgeline, but at least it will stay in the family!
Hi, thanks for your reply. All the fluids have been changed, pretty happy to have a baseline. I've never written a blog or kept a diary. Thought I would try something new. I have to stop looking for a RL for my Mrs, lol.
Take care,
2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The other day I wanted to see if I could find the ATF lines that enter and exit at the bottom of the radiator, looking into the engine compartment from above. I found a line that ran from one fitting into the other. It had been spliced to form a loop. No ATF going in or out of the bottom of the radiator.
Dropped the truck off at Honda across the harbour and asked them to have a look.
Service advisor sent me a link to a video...wow, pretty cool, never had that experience before.
I tried to download the video that was put together by the technician to share with you but I couldn't get it to work, I even searched google for help. In the end I took a couple of screen shots.

They printed off the page and explained how the ATF cooling system worked.
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.21.25 PM.png

Guess what they found. You have three guesses as to the most logical reason the line was spliced to create a closed loop.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 9.22.39 PM.png

They found a secondary, aftermarket ATF intercooler! Would that be the equivalent to wearing two pairs of socks?

The technician kept telling me in the video that the installation was well done, all the steel lines were properly routed and no chaffing could be found. The install was really well done, they said that at least 3 times throughout the video. They did mention I had the option to restore the lines to factory condition. No one pressured or hinted that I should have it ripped out and the original parts reinstalled. I'm going to leave it as is.

I did ask them to go over the RL and see if anything else unusual could be found, nope, all is good, they did mention that the truck was in really good condition : ^ )

Field trip! Woohoo! We went apple picking today. We adopted a Cortland apple tree down in the Valley at Johnson's Stonehenge Farms. Perfect timing too, Thanksgiving weekend.
The yield was a bit smaller compared to other years, but the apples were a lot larger though this year. The day started out overcast and on the cold side when we left home at 7am. Holy banana Rama batman! I turned on the heat and looked to adjust the vent for my hands on the steering wheel....oh my goodness, I've never seen vents strategically placed so well! The vents were so close to my hands and I didn't have to continually adjust the vent to find that perfect angle. In the Echo and Forester, the vents are farther away from your hands and you have to fiddle with them to find that sweet spot of air flow.

We have a tradition, early morning field trips requires a stop at Bagel Montreal Style for a bagel breakfast sandwich. Fresh bagel. Egg, bacon and cheese. Bliss.

The orchard is about 1h 30m drive.

D34357A9-A7C7-4581-BD8A-62672D46BE0D.jpeg 2B78B10F-FD0A-46DD-9301-66515CC371FF.jpeg

We arrived at 9am, after picking for awhile we started to warm up. 1h and 20m we were done. We had 25 bags, conservatively 5lbs each, the average per tree in a good year is 200lbs, we came away with 125lbs today, but she came down with her clients Thursday and they picked 5 bags of apples. 150lbs total. We can't eat all of them or make a dozen pies. It's 10pm so when I'm done typing I'll be covertly dropping bags of apples on the front steps of our neighbours (6 houses).

BB6C03CA-BF96-4077-A819-B5051783A323.jpeg

I was not leaving without chomping down an apple I had picked, it was sooo good! I wish everyone had the opportunity to travel to an orchard and pick fruit off the tree/shrub/vine.
7D69056C-380E-4462-A892-26B726923149.jpeg 7B643333-1C81-495E-AD07-180877C4F8EC.jpeg

On the way home we received a text from a farmer up in Gore. Our turkey arrived! Nice! And even better, the last of our pork order was ready too. Excellent.

The 21lb turkey and pork went in the auxiliary storage compartment.
DBC36833-916B-4C23-8779-68ED2EDF8996.jpeg

We had a great day together. The turkey wasn't frozen; we'll have our Thanksgiving turkey tomorrow for supper instead of Monday. I have to run now and deliver bags of apples in the dark, lol.
Take care and enjoy your long weekend.
Cheers
2d1c

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: due to late night blogging, operation Apple Drop was postponed until 6am today ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
I am truly puzzled about your radiator/ATF cooling mod that you found. I'm not sure if I read this close enough or not. But did they bypass the heat exchanger in the radiator? And you actually have dual ATF coolers in front of the radiator?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am truly puzzled about your radiator/ATF cooling mod that you found. I'm not sure if I read this close enough or not. But did they bypass the heat exchanger in the radiator? And you actually have dual ATF coolers in front of the radiator?
Yes, you are right, they bypassed the heat exchanger in the radiator.
The coolers appear to be about the same size.

View from above the engine compartment looking down, the hoses that would have brought the ATF to and from the radiator.
3649D390-4859-4E66-80CC-CCFCB2B7F805_1_201_a.jpeg

View from the front, of the ATF cooler located at the bottom, R/H side of the radiator
CAAE06EC-EF14-4797-B69B-8C4F35349094.jpeg 3398F53F-D2BA-4FFF-A284-24C29CF71334.jpeg

View from the front, of the ATF cooler located behind the Honda logo.
760C9CFA-6472-46FC-BB0B-3A292680C5E1.jpeg 8570F0B6-8F29-4054-9BC0-FAF4179AA2E7.jpeg

I don't know which one is the OEM/aftermarket ATF cooler.

·
Super Moderator
22,670 Posts
We had extensive discussions about the heat exchanger in the radiator in years past and discussed bypassing it because of the SMOD threat. But in the end, I believe we came to the conclusion that as Honda designed it that way for a reason, it was best left intact.

In your case, as long as there's no obvious problem right now, I believe I'd personally look at returning it to factory status when you do the TB/WP/Spark plugs/valve adjustment service. That's when I also do the radiator replacement... and would be a good time to get everything replumbed back to stock. At least that's my thinking.

If you do go that route, I suggest a new radiator with the newer style fittings:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts