Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 RTL has had several intermittent issues since owning it new the past 18 months. Wondering if anyone else has experienced these issues and if any resolution to them?

1. Rear passenger door does not always shut all the way. Can leave interior lights on when truck turned off.
- Just took this to a dealership to have checked. An employee, who owns a Ridgeline, checked it, and said that the door seals are so thick that you have to shut the door with force to completely shut each time. No known fix otherwise.

2. Cruise control does not always stay on set speed. I have had the cruise control go several miles per hour under or over what was originally set. I have to manually adjust to get back to the desired speed.

3. When leaving the garage, the automatic headlights stay on in the daylight for about 10 minutes or so. The stereo screen is so faded, that I can barely read it. To resolve, I have to turn the headlights off, or turn the truck off and on.

4. Intermittent wipers will sometime swipe twice in a row, instead of once per interval. This is my least concern, but a strange occurrence.

Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Modern Steel Metallic
169 Posts
1. Yep - thick door seals keep it quiet. Its a feature, not a bug.
2. Does the set speed change or the actual speed? Its often normal for the actual speed to very going up and down hills. I use adaptive cruise control so I don't know what the regular cruise control is really like much.
3. I've never had that problem but the screen is dimming because the headlights are on so the truck thinks its dark outside. You could manually adjust the screen brightness to resolve this part of it. Might be a bad daylight sensor but it might just be the way its programmed to keep from turning the lights off and on everytime you go under a bridge or into a tunnel, etc.
4. I dunno.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Yep - thick door seals keep it quiet. Its a feature, not a bug.
2. Does the set speed change or the actual speed? Its often normal for the actual speed to very going up and down hills. I use adaptive cruise control so I don't know what the regular cruise control is really like much.
3. I've never had that problem but the screen is dimming because the headlights are on so the truck thinks its dark outside. You could manually adjust the screen brightness to resolve this part of it. Might be a bad daylight sensor but it might just be the way its programmed to keep from turning the lights off and on everytime you go under a bridge or into a tunnel, etc.
4. I dunno.
Thank you, Kentucky Jon.
1. I wonder why this isn't a problem with the other 3 doors?
2. The actual speed changes. When driving on a flat surface (not up or down hill), I would think that the speed would return to what I set it to. It does not. (Also, it does not have adaptive cruise control.)
3. I think it may be a bad daylight sensor. It is intermittent, but has happened at least 4 times this year. It did not happen last year.
4. Might be a bad wiper motor. Not sure. That's why I am asking.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E, Lunar Silver Metallic
906 Posts
1. Rear passenger door does not always shut all the way. Can leave interior lights on when truck turned off.
- Just took this to a dealership to have checked. An employee, who owns a Ridgeline, checked it, and said that the door seals are so thick that you have to shut the door with force to completely shut each time. No known fix otherwise.
Was that a Service Writer who told you that? Next time insist a technician take a look at it and adjust the door.

I had the same issue with my 2017 and was told by the Service Writer that they all do that and even his personal Ridgeline. The next time, I insisted a technician attempt an adjustment and the truck came back with all four doors closing with the same amount of force. Bottom line, don't be fooled by the line of BS from a Service Writer.

·
Registered
372 Posts
If you un touch the brake pedal at the right moment, the wipers may wipe twice. Does the double wipe issue occur more at very low speeds:
My rear doors take a harder push to make sure they close all the way.The left more so than the right. No big deal.
If you have the AUTO headlight feature and it is on, the interior dash lights and the nav screen will dim when the auto feature engages. On my nav system auto diming of the screen is an user configurable option. Can't comment on your cruise control other than to say that my adaptive cruise control works quite well (generally:))

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4. Does this have rain sensing wipers?
Not that I am aware of. I thought about that too. Thanks.

Was that a Service Writer who told you that? Next time insist a technician take a look at it and adjust the door.

I had the same issue with my 2017 and was told by the Service Writer that they all do that and even his personal Ridgeline. The next time, I insisted a technician attempt an adjustment and the truck came back with all four doors closing with the same amount of force. Bottom line, don't be fooled by the line of BS from a Service Writer.
Thank you. That's good to know. The service person told me that the technician who looked at my truck was the one who had the Ridgeline with the same problem. I am not going to make a big deal out if it since it is relatively easy to shut the door with a little more force and I did not purchase the truck at this dealership (as they did not have the truck in stock when I purchased mine in another county). By the way, it is mostly my young adult daughters who have trouble shutting it.

If it gets worse, I will plan to take it back. I also thought about getting those door checkers replaced so that the back doors open further like on the 2020 and 2021 Ridgelines. I previously had a 2002 Dodge Dakota, and the back doors opened 90 degrees, which is really nice. Any experience with that?

If you un touch the brake pedal at the right moment, the wipers may wipe twice. Does the double wipe issue occur more at very low speeds:
My rear doors take a harder push to make sure they close all the way.The left more so than the right. No big deal.
If you have the AUTO headlight feature and it is on, the interior dash lights and the nav screen will dim when the auto feature engages. On my nav system auto diming of the screen is an user configurable option. Can't comment on your cruise control other than to say that my adaptive cruise control works quite well (generally:))
I am pretty sure that the few times that the wipers wiped twice in a row when set to a longer intermittent timing, it was when I was not braking. I will have to take note of it the next time that it happens.
I am not too concerned about the back doors except when we return home, and I find that the interior lights have been on a long time from the doors not being shut all the way. Mostly caused by my young adult daughters, who don't ride very often since they drive their own vehicles. I just need to remember to check the rear passenger door when someone else is riding with me.
When the auto headlights stay on in the daylight, I cannot adjust the stereo screen dimming. It either eventually clears on its own or I have to turn the truck off and on.
I don't have adaptive cruise control. And, as with the other issues, it is intermittent.
Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
331 Posts
My rear drivers side door closes harder than the rest. It doesn't leave the light on but it will beep rapidly at me when I walk away. I have the auto-lock feature set on mine so its letting me know it isn't auto-locking.
My cruise fluctuates from its set speed more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. It will accelerate back up to speed but slower than I would like it so I end up goosing the pedal a bit. Seems to be common with Hondas.
There is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights. Making them less sensitive makes them slower to turn on but turn off more quickly.
The fastest setting on the interval wipers is weird on the Ridgeline as it works like the low-speed setting when the vehicle is moving but then becomes intermittent when stopped. In this setting it gives a double swipe when stopped or barely moving.

·
Administrator
22,423 Posts
1. Some doors on some Ridgelines are harder to close than others. My 2017's doors were harder to close. My 2019's doors were easier to close. My 2021's doors are somewhere in between. There's nothing special about the Ridgeline's doors seals - they're a typical design. The issue is likely due to the highly variable build quality we see on products coming out of Honda Manufacturing of Alabama where the Ridgeline is made. The interior lights will automatically turn off after a while even if a door is left open to prevent the battery from draining.

2. It's normal for the actual speed to vary from the set speed by at least a few MPH when going uphill or downhill because of the Ridgeline's relative lack of torque and in the interest of fuel economy, but the set speed should not change. You can only see the set speed on models with Adaptive Cruise Control when ACC is being used. Otherwise, you have to assume what the set speed is based on the vehicle's speed when not going uphill or downhill.

3. That definitely warrants further investigation - could be an ambient light sensor or Multiplex Integrated Control Unit ("body" computer).

4. US Ridgelines don't have rain-sensing wipers, but they will wipe immediately upon releasing the brake pedal if you're stopped and the wipers are set to intermittent. If they just wiped a short moment before, they'll wipe again. If this happens under other conditions, I suspect a faulty MICU which controls the wipers in addition to the lighting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My rear drivers side door closes harder than the rest. It doesn't leave the light on but it will beep rapidly at me when I walk away. I have the auto-lock feature set on mine so its letting me know it isn't auto-locking.
My cruise fluctuates from its set speed more than any other vehicle I have ever owned. It will accelerate back up to speed but slower than I would like it so I end up goosing the pedal a bit. Seems to be common with Hondas.
There is a way to adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights. Making them less sensitive makes them slower to turn on but turn off more quickly.
The fastest setting on the interval wipers is weird on the Ridgeline as it works like the low-speed setting when the vehicle is moving but then becomes intermittent when stopped. In this setting it gives a double swipe when stopped or barely moving.
Good to know! Thank you. How do you adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. Some doors on some Ridgelines are harder to close than others. My 2017's doors were harder to close. My 2019's doors were easier to close. My 2021's doors are somewhere in between. There's nothing special about the Ridgeline's doors seals - they're a typical design. The issue is likely due to the highly variable build quality we see on products coming out of Honda Manufacturing of Alabama where the Ridgeline is made. The interior lights will automatically turn off after a while even if a door is left open to prevent the battery from draining.

2. It's normal for the actual speed to vary from the set speed by at least a few MPH when going uphill or downhill because of the Ridgeline's relative lack of torque and in the interest of fuel economy, but the set speed should not change. You can only see the set speed on models with Adaptive Cruise Control when ACC is being used. Otherwise, you have to assume what the set speed is based on the vehicle's speed when not going uphill or downhill.

3. That definitely warrants further investigation - could be an ambient light sensor or Multiplex Integrated Control Unit ("body" computer).

4. US Ridgelines don't have rain-sensing wipers, but they will wipe immediately upon releasing the brake pedal if you're stopped and the wipers are set to intermittent. If they just wiped a short moment before, they'll wipe again. If this happens under other conditions, I suspect a faulty MICU which controls the wipers in addition to the lighting.
Thank you. Good to know! The brake pedal could be why the wipers go twice in an intermittent interval. I'll have to pay more attention next time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.