Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I’ve seen a post regarding this, but I can’t find it, even using search. I will be adding a OTA tranny cooler (‘17 FWD Rigi) hoses at the external filter. Needing in/out flow direction at the filter as I’m thinking it would be best to have fluid flow into the cooler at the bottom 1st, then up and out. Thanks.

Sorry for another thread, but I just can’t find it.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
The industry-standard practice for coolers is hot fluid in the top and cool fluid out the bottom.

1. Cooled fluid is more dense, so it naturally falls. Pushing hot fluid up works against this.

2. Pushing fluid up through a heat exchanger promotes accumulation of heavy debris.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,725 Posts
Got it....thanks. Would know which direction fluid flows thru the external filter????
Out of the transmission, through the cooler, through the filter, and back into the transmission.
Still leaves you with a bit of a question, eh @HRL383, since your FWD lacks an OE cooler as a 'guide' for that path?

Since reading your OP I've been browsing my numerous bookmarked tranny cooler threads but haven't found a direct answer to the question of flow-direction at the filter either (lacking the 'hint' of the AWD's OE cooler in that path). I've even browsed many photographs of the spec replacement filter on Google Images, alas none reveal a flow-direction arrow on the filter itself. :cry:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Is the external filter a can in the style of a typical engine oil filter?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Is the external filter a can in the style of a typical engine oil filter?
It's an opaque metal 'inline type' filter that can only fit one-way in its bracket (precluding inadvertent 'reverse' installation even though there's no indication of flow-direction at that point). Replacement PN 25430-PLR-003 for the 2017 FWD if you want to search for images.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Still leaves you with a bit of a question, eh @HRL383, since your FWD lacks an OE cooler as a 'guide' for that path?

The hose marked with the blue dot that connects from the transmission fluid outlet to the filter inlet is replaced by a line that runs to the cooler on models so equipped.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Bingo!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The hose in the diagram above, with the blue dot, is the same hose, circled in green, in the pic below, right?.......the hose that gets discarded, right?

After the cooler is connected, blue dot line is the hot fluid leaving the tranny and the red arrow is the cooled fluid leaving the auxiliary cooler/enter the filter and back into the tranny, right? Bare with me on this.....thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank you so much. (y) (y) (y)

I have a Tru-Cool 4921 auxiliary cooler on order and will mount it horizontally. The 2 fittings are on the same end of the cooler, one above the other when mounted horizontally. I will plumb it so hot fluid enters the top fitting (red arrow) and cooled fluid exits the bottom fitting (red arrow), as you recommended. Thanks again.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Thank you so much. (y) (y) (y)

I have a Tru-Cool 4921 auxiliary cooler on order and will mount it horizontally. Thanks again.
My apologies if I missed it, but did you consider adding the Honda OE Pilot accessory cooler kit? It includes the cooler, hoses, fasteners, and clamps. I can't guarantee it would fit the Ridgeline, but I'll bet it would fit with some modifications to the instructions.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My apologies if I missed it, but did you consider adding the Honda OE Pilot accessory cooler kit? It includes the cooler, hoses, fasteners, and clamps. I can't guarantee it would fit the Ridgeline, but I'll bet it would fit with some modifications to the instructions.
Definitely thought about the Pilot tranny cooler kit and it probably would fit. The concern I have is those reports (very few I'm sure) of tranny overheat scenarios even in G2 AWD Rigi's with the OE factory tranny cooler. I'm just thinking maybe a little bigger may be a little better/more efficient. 🤷‍♂️ The Tru-Cool unit is a little cheaper than the Honda Pilot unit.

My plan is to mount the Tru-Cool unit behind the lower grill opening, somewhat similar to where the Honda unit is mounted/located. Mounting the Tru-Cool will most likely require removing the bumper assembly......that's my main concern.:eek: Murphy's law seems to follow me closely.

I monitor tranny fluid temp with a ScanGauge II......I think it will be interesting to see before/after install tranny fluid temps.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Does that TruCool have, or do you plan to install, a thermostat in the system? Most don’t; just curious

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
Does that TruCool have, or do you plan to install, a thermostat in the system? Most don’t; just curious
I hope not! Fluid must circulate through that circuit at all times or terrible things will happen to the transmission due to lack of lubrication which is why there is a bypass valve built into the filter in case it becomes clogged. :)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I hope so! Uncontrolled cooling is wasteful and often counterproductive. A thermostat control system need not halt flow when closed. It can as easily bypass when closed. In fact that is the smart design in an A/T cooler. (-:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
No plans to install a t-stat.....upper teens and 20s F maybe 10-15 days here. We’ve already had 15 days of triple digits.

The Tru-Cool t-stat could be easily installed later, if needed, but I doubt it will be. The t-stat, when closed, bypasses the cooler and directs fluid flow continuously back to the tranny.

I’ve been monitoring tranny temps on various vehicles since about 2005 using a ScanGauge. Tranny fluid temp from a cold start in each of those various vehicle rose very, very slowly, compared to engine coolant temp. I’m thinking quickly warming tranny fluid is a non-issue, or else it would be addressed by manufacturers. The two 2017 Honda’s we’ve owned had/have so called “warmers”, but tranny fluid temp from a cold start STILL rose/rises very, very slowly on both........just like the other various trannies over the years. Again, from what I have observed over the years.

·
Administrator
14,942 Posts
I hope so! Uncontrolled cooling is wasteful and often counterproductive. A thermostat control system need not halt flow when closed. It can as easily bypass when closed. In fact that is the smart design in an A/T cooler. (-:
Ah, correct. I was thinking of a thermostat that stopped the flow of fluid through the cooler/filter circuit rather than simply bypassing the cooler.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts