Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Are you sure it's not just an unusual amount of pedal travel that requires getting used to or is it really poor braking performance? In other words, have you tried to do a 60 to 0 panic stop to see how well it performs?

There are a lot of complaints from the automotive press and from owners about the Gen2's brakes. But the more substitutive reviews suggest it was more about having uncomfortable pedal travel verses it impacting actual stopping distances.

6a00d83451b3c669e201b8d2119680970c.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
Pedal travel definitely plays a big role in this, speaking as someone who has experienced the problem. But the brake pedal may also feel soft or spongy. Mine did. There are several threads about this problem and some of them offer solutions. I was able to significantly improve my brake feel although it's still not perfect. Try these two threads:

(1) Spongy Brakes? Look at this | Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

(1) Do you agree that G2 brakes aren't great? | Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Ya, a fluid change is the way to go, from what I've read. There's been roomers of contaminated brake fluid at the factory with no desire to fix the problem, whatever it may be. There's lots of posts on the forum suggesting that people change their brake fluid as soon as they get their Gen2 to help alleviate some of the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It seems all Ridgeline have a softer pedal. I test drove a Passport and it had a nice firm pedal.
I would like to know what brake parts are different on the Passport? Is the master-cylinder or brake-pedal assy different?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
It seems all Ridgeline have a softer pedal. I test drove a Passport and it had a nice firm pedal.
I would like to know what brake parts are different on the Passport? Is the master-cylinder or brake-pedal assy different?
Good question. Now go to an online parts diagram and compare the parts / parts #'s.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We have not had any issues with the brakes themselves, the biggest "concern" we have with the Ridgeline concerning brakes is that we cannot hold the transmission in first gear, where coming down steeper, twisty hills, especially with a trailer behind us, we are too uncomfortably dependent on just the brakes. (Though they have become warm enough to smell them, they have yet to fail doing their job, however.)

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,807 Posts
I drove a 2018 Accord recently and it had nasty firm brakes that bite in about an inch below the top of the pedal. That's what I want my Ridgeline to do. Perhaps the rumor is true that the problem is in the power assist, which may only be used in two or three models. Does the Odyssey have the soft brakes issue? Does the Pilot?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I drove a 2018 Accord recently and it had nasty firm brakes that bite in about an inch below the top of the pedal. That's what I want my Ridgeline to do. Perhaps the rumor is true that the problem is in the power assist, which may only be used in two or three models. Does the Odyssey have the soft brakes issue? Does the Pilot?
The 2019 Pilot and Odyssey I drove felt better (firmer pedal travel) than the ridgelines. I did test 2 ridgelines though. The older 2017 Ridge felt softer than the 2019. Seemed odd to me.

Edit:
All 3 of the 2019's were back to back with a Tellirude too.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Our 2017 Pilot and Ridgeline brakes feel the same. No problem just getting use to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts