Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi, yes no problem but I would just charge actual shipping to you for Canada when the time comes. I can invoice you for the kit via Paypal and then add the exact shipping as a separate Paypal payment request when we ship. Let me know if that sounds fair. Best regards, Danny K.
PM sent......

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Its been a while since I posted but saw this thread and was reminded of a small incident that happened with my kit. I live on a tropical island and my light switch rusted pretty quick and caused my light to not work, Danny sent me a new one no problem. So i recommend dielectric grease as a precaution.

On a funny note i brought my truck in for service and watched my dash cam video to make sure they did the work and had to laugh when they opened the hood and it stayed up with the struts. The tech called the other guys over to check it out as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does the kit work with the 2019's? The eBay site says no, but I don;t believe there is any difference. Thanks. Interested in the struts and light kit as a combo. What's the cost? I only see the struts on eBay. Thanks again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Just finished installing the hood struts on my 2019 Black Edition....15 to 20 minutes to install.

First off Danny (DK-NY) is great to work with, he is always there to answer questions and make right of any wrongs.

The Hood strut kit cant be any easier to install, great instructions which honestly you don't even need its that easy.

Here are a few pics of the strut kit mounted on my RL

The light kit is equally easy to install with another set of great instructions......honestly each kit literally takes about 20 mins each to install and even if you're no mechanic you can do it with ease.
Here are a few pics of my light kit installed

Here I have the wire run and its barely visible

Here is the ground switch installed

Night pics

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Just FYI for those following, current link to the E-Bay page for info (but ROC-ers should order via email per previous post):

This is what got my attention and interest: "The hood will open approximately 20 degrees farther with the hood struts in place, allowing more room under the hood and more daylight."

I'm not under my hood often but when I am I've wished it were held farther up and I didn't have to dodge the prop-rod. Email sent!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you have a combined light and strut kit available for 2nd gen and if so, shipping to 89411 please.
Look on ebay...it's listed there....BUT, he does not have any more light kits...I got lucky, I installed the struts on my 2018, but not the included light kit. I ordered the hood strut kit for my 2019, FOUND the light kit in the garage...and VOILA...lol

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Where can I buy the strut kit ? Item number? Thank You. Sorry if I missed it somewhere in the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'm not under my hood often but when I am I've wished it were held farther up and I didn't have to dodge the prop-rod. Email sent!
So here's my follow-up experience FYI ...

Ordered direct from Danny rather than through Ebay, total delivered price $133.50 via PayPal.
  • Did a no-bolting, hold 'em in place by hand, test fit of all 4 brackets
  • Discovered both L & R lower brackets contacted the OE fender brace and therefore would not lay flat on the flange where they bolt
  • Took pics and sent to Danny asking for suggestions, held-off without installing anything
  • Danny replied promptly next business day, suggested vehicle manufacturing tolerances were the issue, offered several suggestions to make it work (enlarge holes, etc) and also offered to let me return the kit for a full refund.
  • I ended-up bending both of the strut lower brackets to increase the inside angle from 90* to ~115*; did it 'cold' in my bench vise, then shot rustoluem gloss black to address the vise-marks.
  • Everything lays flat now, nothing is in contact between the strut bracket and the vehicle brackets except at the bolt flanges where it should be in contact
  • I did use threaded 'rivnuts' I had on-hand in lieu of the provided rubber well-nuts for the upper bracket installation. The provided rubber well-nuts are used for one of the two upper bracket fasteners on each side. They allow installation without any special tools, so I understand the reason for that, just not my preference for this hopefully long-term situation.
The open hood is now 3.5" higher measured along the no longer needed OE prop-rod. That's a lot - it does make a good difference; and I won't miss dodging that prop-rod one bit.

A tad more effort than I expected but I'm admittedly OCD about things fitting without forcing or rubbing, satisfied with the outcome.

Test fit of lower bracket as provided (same on both sides):

Fit after bend modification (same on both sides):

EDIT - Has the shape of the OE fender bracket where I note "contact" changed over time? Maybe someone with an older than 10/2018 manufacturing date could take a look, see if yours appears different, and offer comment? The shape of that piece could make a world of difference in regard to the issue I encountered.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
310 Posts
Danny, thanks for shipping out my kit. It arrived last week and I put it on today. One of the best option kits I’ve gotten in memory. Well packed, labeled and super clear directions. The quality of all components is great. Took all of 20 minutes to install. I’ll give you 5 stars all day long on this product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Brad,

Glad to hear you are pleased with the G-2 Hood Strut Kit, looking forward to hearing from you about how you like the LED Light Kit also. Sorry to hear about your son being a Toyota owner, guess there is always one black sheep in every family :) Tell him the new kits on your Ridge are just so you can just look under the hood and appreciate the engineering, not cause you have to work on the engine ! Sounds like your summer in Denver is about like ours here in the North Country, we call it the 4th of July weekend. Best regards, Danny

you guys are killing me! ok, I do not want to read ALL of this. Please, give me a web site for DK-NY. Google returns a lot of links for wot clothing. Not sure how that fits my RL. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
@DK-NY
This is PERFECT for me!! Thank you for the great invention. (y)
I have one arm and otherwise have to hold the hood up with my head until i place the rod in the hole.
Just placed my order on eBay :cool:

·
Registered
Pearl White 2020 Honda Ridgeline Touring
17 Posts
Dang... now I have to spend more money... love this forumn... but my wife hates it... sigh... PM'd Dany

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,631 Posts
I am moving the hood prop kit from my 2017 to my (lost in transit) 2021. I am hoping the struts are strong enough to keep the steel hood in the open position.

·
Premium Member
2018 RTL-T
411 Posts
I am moving the hood prop kit from my 2017 to my (lost in transit) 2021. I am hoping the struts are strong enough to keep the steel hood in the open position.
I’m hoping he will start back making the under hood lighting. I heard that was discontinued and really like mine. Might have to remove it and put on my next one…..maybe a 2022 or later model! I do like the hood struts, as they are great!

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,631 Posts
I’m hoping he will start back making the under hood lighting. I heard that was discontinued and really like mine. Might have to remove it and put on my next one…..maybe a 2022 or later model! I do like the hood struts, as they are great!
I purchased a lighting kit that was very similar to the one made by Danny. It works almost exactly the same. I am moving it over also.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts