Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our first snow in Anchorage (Alaska) on the early morning hours of the 21st. I took my BE for a spin and was very impressed for how it handled with stock tires.

First thing I did was put it into snow mode and floor it (my rather empty street) and got it up to around 20 mph and jam on the brakes. It slide around 3-5 feet which is acceptable in the snow we had - which was around 3 inches. Out in traffic is handled like our 2012 CRV with AWD. Very nimble and non-truck like for the most part but it plowed through the snow with far more power.

Overall, nothing major impressive for city snow driving. Just the expected Honda engineering that I've grown to love. I'm hoping to take it in a spin in a really big, snow filled parking lot (empty of course) and do some donuts and see how well it slides around. Most of the snow in road and parking lots is gone or has been scraped up already so I'll have to wait for a bit.

Post your pictures and stories of your 2Gen Ridgeline in the snow!

Here's mine after being scraped off:

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
We got our first snow in Anchorage (Alaska) on the early morning hours of the 21st. I took my BE for a spin and was very impressed for how it handled with stock tires.

First thing I did was put it into snow mode and floor it (my rather empty street) and got it up to around 20 mph and jam on the brakes. It slide around 3-5 feet which is acceptable in the snow we had - which was around 3 inches. Out in traffic is handled like our 2012 CRV with AWD. Very nimble and non-truck like for the most part but it plowed through the snow with far more power.

Overall, nothing major impressive for city snow driving. Just the expected Honda engineering that I've grown to love. I'm hoping to take it in a spin in a really big, snow filled parking lot (empty of course) and do some donuts and see how well it slides around. Most of the snow in road and parking lots is gone or has been scraped up already so I'll have to wait for a bit.

Post your pictures and stories of your 2Gen Ridgeline in the snow!

Here's mine after being scraped off:
Nice, a video would be great to see. I'm glad to know it handles well in snow with stock tires as I plan on moving to Jersey soon.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I live in Massachusetts and was wondering about the Destination LE 2 in snow - they rate well on the TireRack reviews. I've always been a big fan of dedicated snows but not sure I'm going to do that with the RL. If the Destinations are not up to the task in the snow, I'm thinking about this new Continental: Continental

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
"I'm hoping to take it in a spin in a really big, snow filled parking lot (empty of course) and do some donuts and see how well it slides around. "

Good Luck with those Donuts! It will be interesting to hear from you on that. I'm guessing it might be a bit of a challenge to get her to break loose for you like a RWD vehicle would (I'm presuming you have the AWD version.... 'might be even harder with FWD!).

Let us know how it went when you've been able to get those "fun runs" done.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:surprise:

I hope you didnt actually scrape it off.....

First snowy drive for the G2! And the award goes to Brandorex! :grin:
Sorry - I say scrape as a catch all term to clean the snow off. More often than not most folks are only scraping their glass so they can drive and then brush off the rest.

Sometimes, scraping the headlamps are required too. If I only had a garage... it probably would be filled with junk!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Massachusetts and was wondering about the Destination LE 2 in snow - they rate well on the TireRack reviews. I've always been a big fan of dedicated snows but not sure I'm going to do that with the RL. If the Destinations are not up to the task in the snow, I'm thinking about this new Continental: Continental
So far so good. I haven't taken any major hills with them but if I had to drive that kind of terrain on a regular basis, studs would have to be had in my opinion. If it's just casual city driving, they should be fine.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice, a video would be great to see. I'm glad to know it handles well in snow with stock tires as I plan on moving to Jersey soon.
I guess this could my excuse to justify buying a GoPro or something similar 0:)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta ask - what kind of dashcam do you have and do you like it?

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you notice any issues with the driver alerts like LKAS or the forward collision mitigation? I wondered if snow or ice build up on the front of the truck near the sensors would impact anything.

A note on the tires. I had the LE2 on the Mrs. Grand Cherokee last winter and they handled the snow great for Northwest Pennsylvania. Unfortunately her new Highlander did not come with tires that nice so the blizzaks come tomorrow! I'm planning on running the LE2 on my Ridge when it shows up in November for this winter, and considering snows next year.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Gotta ask - what kind of dashcam do you have and do you like it?
it's a DDPai Mini 2 - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/ddpai-mini-2-review.20978/

Video quality is very good, but not the best... I like the fact it uses capacitors not a battery (insurance buddy of mine said they had several claims from batteries exploding during summer heat)
... and it is reasonably priced on ebay. The seller I got mine from was from China but my camera was shipped from Markham, Ont. within 2wks (ymmv)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you notice any issues with the driver alerts like LKAS or the forward collision mitigation? I wondered if snow or ice build up on the front of the truck near the sensors would impact anything.

A note on the tires. I had the LE2 on the Mrs. Grand Cherokee last winter and they handled the snow great for Northwest Pennsylvania. Unfortunately her new Highlander did not come with tires that nice so the blizzaks come tomorrow! I'm planning on running the LE2 on my Ridge when it shows up in November for this winter, and considering snows next year.
If I didn't know where those sensors where (the camera is the top of the windshield, center / the radar just behind the H emblem on the front), I might have seen as issue. As is though, I did clean those area (so hard not to say scrape). My parking sensors haven't skipped a beat, I don't clean those areas. Where I typically park at work, it will go off everytime and so far, that's been the case.

I will say that it being black, most of the ice and snow melts off of it pretty well provided we have sunshine. It's one of the reasons I wanted a black vehicle living up here. Unfortunately, the snow in the bed doesn't melt as quickly or at all in some areas.

·
Premium Member
4,235 Posts
To melt that snow in the bed, plug a little submersible water heater into your in-bed power outlet. You can get one at a farm/feed store or pet store for around $15 (~$25 in Anchorage money... :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To melt that snow in the bed, plug a little submersible water heater into your in-bed power outlet. You can get one at a farm/feed store or pet store for around $15 (~$25 in Anchorage money... :)
I got my tonneau cover on yesterday, dealership melted it all out for me. Kind of sad that all I really want the cover for is to keep the snow out. Well, maybe some other stuff in the summer but snow is my more immediate need.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
So I took out the RL today around the neighborhood in its first snowstorm! Initial impression is that with new stock Firestones, it's definitely impressive. Snow mode helps a lot with acceleration from a stop. Now the question is whether or not to get snow tires going forward. I'm a big believer in snow tires but already have 2 CRV's with snows so I will aim to wait it out for now until I can score a screaming deal on wheels and tires in the next year or two. I can understand why many will call it a day with the stock tires. Today's snow was the powdery higher traction type but I'm sure with the heavier slushy stuff I wouldn't be as impressed. My main goal with snows is to minimize the ABS clicking under braking.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts