Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just turned 101k on my 2017 RTL-T and decided I need to get on with getting the timing belt replaced. I did not see anything in the forums about a 2G replacement. I called my dealer and at 100k they recommend and offer a "special". For 2200.00 they were going to replace the timing belt and tensioner, new water pump, replace plugs, flush and fill cooling system, new serpentine belt, plugs and valve adjustment. I skipped the valve adjustment as they did one on my '04 CRV @ 100k and screwed it up somehow. My '09 CRV (302k) has never had valves adjusted and runs like a champ.I thought the price on the package was high (even after he said this was a "discounted package"). I called a local mechanic who has worked on my '04 and '09 CRV's.

He was at 1000.00 for the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpentine, plugs, cooling system flush / fill and full synthetic oil change. Has anyone else with a 2G had the timing belt replaced yet?

I'm mostly doing highway driving with about 10,000 of those miles pulling a 2000lb boat.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I would do it with the independent shop. That's a good price and if I were at your mileage I would proactively do all mentioned.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,148 Posts
Anderson Honda used to do the complete service including water pump, coolant, belts, timing belt tensioners) for around $650. They are probably closer to $800 now. Add another $400 for plugs and valve adjustment and your dealer is still about $1000 higher. Prices vary a lot and it definitely pays to shop around for both price and quality.
I would definitely have your valves adjusted if you care about longevity and maximum performance / economy.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
I just turned 101k on my 2017 RTL-T and decided I need to get on with getting the timing belt replaced. I did not see anything in the forums about a 2G replacement. I called my dealer and at 100k they recommend and offer a "special". For 2200.00 they were going to replace the timing belt and tensioner, new water pump, replace plugs, flush and fill cooling system, new serpentine belt, plugs and valve adjustment. I skipped the valve adjustment as they did one on my '04 CRV @ 100k and screwed it up somehow. My '09 CRV (302k) has never had valves adjusted and runs like a champ.I thought the price on the package was high (even after he said this was a "discounted package"). I called a local mechanic who has worked on my '04 and '09 CRV's.

He was at 1000.00 for the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpentine, plugs, cooling system flush / fill and full synthetic oil change. Has anyone else with a 2G had the timing belt replaced yet?

I'm mostly doing highway driving with about 10,000 of those miles pulling a 2000lb boat.
Check out this recent thread on the same topic. Search is your best friend here, to avoid awkward redundancy. Cheers :)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
131 Posts
I called a local mechanic who has worked on my '04 and '09 CRV's. He was at 1000.00 for the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, serpentine, plugs, cooling system flush / fill and full synthetic oil change. Has anyone else with a 2G had the timing belt replaced yet?
Given the towing you've done and the mileage, get it done now. 105K is about right.

And how does this "local mechanic" back up his work? Will he provide a written warranty for his work--especially for something as critical as a timing belt? Will he accept OEM Honda parts?

If I didn't have someone Ive known for a long time do this work, someone I know would back it up if something catastrophic happened--and given the fact the 3.5 is an interference engine, I would just take it Honda. I know Acura offered a 3/36K on my TB work; check with Honda dealers in your area for specials and deals and service warranties.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Changing a timing belt is not rocket science nor is manufacturing one. With a brand name belt and competent mechanic you should be alright.
Do you think a dealer has rocket scientists in his service dept? Good mechanics usually start out in dealerships as trainees after tech school. The good ones leave after a few years to start independent shops.
The others....don't. They get canned and replaced by trainees.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,148 Posts
Some food for thought. On this forum, there have been only a few reports of timing belt failures on the GenI. All or nearly all of those have been on vehicles that have ALREADY had their timing belt changed. It is not clear how many of the belts / tensioners etc that failed were aftermarket but a good number were.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got my RL back from the shop (independent) 980.00 incl taxes for:timing belt, tensioner, water pump, plugs, serpentine belt, radiator flush and fill, full synthetic oil change. Timing belt showed almost no wear whatsoever - could not find any cracks....however if not changed I would have been driving scared every mile. Good peace of mind...less than a penny a mile....looking forward to the second change at 200k which will come way too soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts