Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the maximum amount of weight that can be put on the 2G trunk lid alone?

I see in the 1G forums the same question was asked, and it was computed that the trunk lid can support ~600 lbs.

I looked under the lid and saw that it is all composite. No metal support structure other than the "hinges" so I am wondering if the math holds up for the 2G (using different numbers for bed/trunk area and payload capacity of course).

Has anyone seen an official spec of the 2G trunk lid weight limit?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
How about you describe what you want to put in the bed of your RL that would help in getting replies to your question.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The only thing specified in the owners manual is for inside the trunk:

The maximum allowable loading weight for the trunk is 300 lbs (136 kg).

However, with a max bed load of 1,100 lbs and assuming (roughly) the trunk takes up about 35% of the bed surface area. You should be safe assuming that 35% of 1,100 lbs is a fair estimate. That is 385 lbs.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
5,207 Posts
Moreover, you can lay a sheet of 3/4" plywood in the bed to distribute the load, if you are concerned...

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
However, with a max bed load of 1,100 lbs and assuming (roughly) the trunk takes up about 35% of the bed surface area. You should be safe assuming that 35% of 1,100 lbs is a fair estimate. That is 385 lbs.
Assuming your 35% factor is correct the weight is closer to 550 since the payload is close to 1569 lbs.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
From experience, I know my G1 trunk lid can easily support my weight (230lb-ish) and an 80lb bag of cement mix. I've stood there loading numerous household items - refrigerators, washers, water heaters. It has never let me down - literally!

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,314 Posts
Assuming your 35% factor is correct the weight is closer to 550 since the payload is close to 1569 lbs.
The bed has a restriction of 1100 lbs. The payload includes weight in the cabin and trunk plus tongue load if towing. But as regards load on the trunk lid, the 1100 lbs bed load limit has to be the limiting factor.

·
Administrator
19,574 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
As long as you're not going to set a teaspoon of neutron star in the middle of the lid, probably any practical load would be OK. But you must have something in mind, and you'll get better answers on whether you're in dangerous territory if you give more specific details.

·
Registered
269 Posts
When I originally said 35% I was going from memory as I was on my couch. Having gone in the bed yesterday i would say the trunk lid is closer to 50% of the surface area of the bed making the safe limit on it closer to 550 lbs.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,314 Posts
I don't know how the G2 lid measures in comparison to the G1 lid. I also don't know if the bed size changed one way or another compared to the G1. Regardless, both have a load limit of 1100 lbs... so however that gets divvied up would seem the correct answer... vs using the entire payload of the truck as the starting point. 1100 lbs vs 1500-ish lbs.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the trunk lid breaking from a heavy load.

I would be concerned about a heavy load coming loose and bashing into the front of bed on a hard stop.

·
Administrator
19,574 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about the trunk lid breaking from a heavy load.

I would be concerned about a heavy load coming loose and bashing into the front of bed on a hard stop.
This is one reason Honda didn't incorporate a midgate into the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Appreciate the replies.

Though it would be nice to have an official spec, I will refer to the expertise and experience of the members of this forum and keep 500lbs as a hard limit on the weight of payload allowed on the trunk lid.

For the curious, what drove this question is I recently hauled a ~12ft cherry tree in the bed of the truck. It wasn't on the lid during transport, but I did have to roll the root ball over the lid to get it out. I estimate it was about 150 to 200lbs. (plus myself at 200lbs). This was the most weight I have had on a small area of the lid. I had a tarp down so I could not see any deflection of the lid, but now when I open the tailgate, the bottom of the tailgate rubs against the front of the trunk lid.

·
Administrator
19,574 Posts
^ Along those same lines, I hauled home a 529-lb. motorcycle a couple of month ago. That was about 265 lbs. rolling over it with the front tire in a relatively small area of only several square inches. When tied down, the back wheel was pressing on a small area of the trunk lid with about 265 lbs. of weight + the force of the ratchet straps that were tight enough to compress the rear suspension about an inch. I'd estimate there was about 350-400 lbs. of force on the trunk lid in about a 12-15 square inch area with no visible deformity and no damage even as the dynamic load increased when the truck drove over bumps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine has similar rub although no heavy load so far. Noticed it few months after owning it. Cannot say it is quality issue from day one but feels like it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Are there any pictures or evidence of a trunk lid that has failed? Kinda curious, seems like the limits of the trunk lid are kinda unknown?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts