Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., you want good milage in your Ridgeline???? Then, try this. Drive with your attention focused on the tachometer and don't let it get above 2000 rpm. This will take a lot of discipline, but it is possible to do. Your reward, if you can do this for an entire tank of gasoline, is city milage above 20 mpg.

p.s. This is nearly impossible to achieve during rush hour without inciting road rage among your fellow motorists.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My husband has been saying the same thing. Keep it under 2 (krpm) for best mpg on any of our vehicles.

Is there anyone that can actually not ever go above 2krpm? Around where I live that is darn near impossible. I do my best but life happens. Also, it is so dang boring to always go under 2krpm; makes me feel like a snail sometimes. I gotta punch it up every once in a while and feel all those horsies that I paid for. :D

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
AAAAmen!!! :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
under 2000 rpm! :eek: Cant do it.I raced a mitsubushi 3000and smoked it. I raced a ford mustang and I got spanked.Then came a suzuki gsx900.. that ones not even worth rateing. The grand prix,ford F150 and the toyota truck all know what the back of a RL looks like. Yes I am to old for this, but its so much fun. My wife said If I race one more car then I am grounded from my truck. :eek:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think you can safely go up to 3000RPM while accellerating and still get this mileage. For normal cruising you should be below 2000RPM. This should keep you from envoking the wrath of those behind you.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
2000rpm is around 65 or 70 miles per hour if I recall correctly. Unless you drive some turnpikes where the speed limit is over that I don't think you would have much need for continuous, over 2000 rpms (except short bursts when passing someone or accelerating onto a freeway). I don't think my Ridgeline has seen more than 4000rpms but maybe a couple of times.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
While 98% of the time, I would consider myself a conservative driver, I cannot keep the RPM's under 2K, but rarely get to 3K except when merging into highway traffic - becoming a moving chicane is not something I enjoy. I'm at 7K miles, just having gotten the oil changed this morning, and I've been averaging 19.5 mpg - with approx 60-75% of my driving (depending on the week) being highway.

The other 2% of the time? WOT!!! Nice adrenaline rush listening to that Honda V6-VTEC engine just wind up and kick me in the seat of my pants. Love that feeling of control the 4WD gives at launch (drives very similar to our Subaru with that regard).

-ridgeln

·
Registered
529 Posts
Here in the mountains we may have to start at the bottom at a dead stop and then climb up the sucker, this action, while not exceeding 30 mph, will take me to 3000 rpm's easy until I "get to my happy cruising spot". Just all kinds of situations where over 2Krpm's occur without speeding like a banshee :p

·
Registered
214 Posts
2500-3000 on starts

70 miles per hour on the highway gets me 19 easy maybe 20.

My typical is 20.5, and have seen as high as 21.5, will have to look up my low.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
shortspark said:
2000rpm is around 65 or 70 miles per hour if I recall correctly. Unless you drive some turnpikes where the speed limit is over that I don't think you would have much need for continuous, over 2000 rpms (except short bursts when passing someone or accelerating onto a freeway). I don't think my Ridgeline has seen more than 4000rpms but maybe a couple of times.
The speed limit where I live is 70, so I usually set the cruise on 75 to keep from getting run over. That puts me at about 2100 RPM's. Unfortunately, it's also hilly around these parts and I end up at 2700 RPM's a lot going up the hills.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts