Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon my wife and I had just parked the truck and the driver and passenger side curtain airbags deployed. No impact whatsoever.

Has anyone heard of this happening? I called the dealership ASAP and the service advisor tried to deny responsibility on their end. Then talked to a manager and he said to get truck towed so they can see what sensor cause the bags to deploy.

He assured me “the sensors and system can’t cause a faulty deployment.”

They won’t look at it til Monday. Just curious if anyone on here has heard of this happening? You can only imagine how upset I was but lucky they didn’t deploy while driving or while my pregnant wife was in the truck.

Any help or suggestions?

I’ll post some pics soon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics. You’d think a very hard impact like being T boned would have to happen to cause them to deploy

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,201 Posts
First report I've heard of this issue.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,106 Posts
Definitely first reported that I have seen. Please follow up with whatever you find out.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,621 Posts
Never heard of this. However, you need not be in a collision for the airbags to deploy. When the sensors detect pitch more than calibrated for 'safe' driving, the vehicle 'anticipates' and deploys the airbags.
If there is a possibility to pull data from the ECU, it may provide necessary information to address this right away.
Good luck bud.

·
Administrator
14,651 Posts
Your dealer will deny, deny, deny because they don't want to face the cost of repair and potential liability.

Check with businesses in the area to see if they have surveillance video showing where the curtain airbags deployed while the vehicle was just sitting there - you may need it as evidence.

The chance of one airbag deploying spontaneously without being initiated by the SRS unit is almost nothing. The chances of two airbags deploying under these conditions is virtually zero. Something had to send power to the inflators in both airbags simultaneously. Replacement of the airbags doesn't involved anything that sends power to the inflators.

In order to send power to both side curtain airbag inflators, the software inside the SRS unit would have to have judged an imminent roller. There is a separate rollover sensor that sends roll angular velocity to the SRS unit. Once the rollover sensor thinks the vehicle may roll, the SRS unit then validates this judgement using data from the built-in accelerometer before deploying the air bags.

It's easy to initially blame the dealer for this, but in their defense I don't see what they could have done that might have caused this. On the surface without additional information, I'd suspect faulty software (possible) or a double failure in the SRS unit (highly unlikely). I'd be surprised if the dealer had any liability here. I have a hunch that Honda may be willing to cover the repair if they're given the opportunity to investigate.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Def something specific to your ridge. I have been in some bone jaring side impacts and off camber climbs and never have mine deployed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts