·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
682 Posts
i'm waiting for the elio. as much as i like the can am and slingshot, spending that kind of money to still get wet in the rain doesn't sound like too much fun.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. For the money Elio seems to be the way to go. Ideal backup or runaround vehicle.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Has Elio actually shipped any yet?

I've seen a Slingshot - Texas says they're a motorcycle, so you need that endorsement on your license.

Chip H.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
I want a slingshot so stinking bad. It would be perfect for here in SD.
Whatever you do, don't ride in one. You'll be ruined. And the result will be a permanently lighter wallet.

I've not been for a ride in a stock Slinger, but the one that frequents the office lot showed up a little while back with entirely new tunes exiting her dead dyno port. When I commented to the driver how nice it sounded, he invited a hop in. Who, me?

Thought I'd burst a tire as my fat ass broke the sound barrier crossing the 5 feet between me and the Slingers passenger side, leaping over the side landing hard in the barely adequate padding waiting its next victim.

We burbled out of the parking garage, coasting down to the signal, waiting only a few seconds to enter the parkway along side I-5.
The light turned green, he hit the hammer. The combo of acceleration, exhaust note, tire smoke and maniacal laughing from the pilot turned my world blurry grey. Next thing I knew, stupidly fast deceleration caused a nasty case of giant exploding eyeball, I strained to cover my face, trying to stop drool, snot and eyeballs themselves from exiting my stunned cranial cavity as the insane pilot of this low flying craft prepared to make a hard right less than 1/4 mile from the driveway we just exited. Can't... raise... my.... hands... too... much.... G force.... 1/8th of the way into the near perfect 90 degree turn, Captain Speedy Pants nails it again.

I heard no tire squeal but there was unbelievable forward thrust, and there was plenty of A flat emission coming from somewhere behind me. And what seemed to be lovely mechanical accompaniment to exhaust music coming from the GM 4 banger sitting inches in front of my left knee. The sound was not unlike that of an Alpha Romeo OHC once found in Spiders of the early 70's era.

I felt light headed and disconnected from what was happening, falling victim to the shock and awe of unexpected, crazy fast, sound filled fun while wondering if the guy driving this thing knew what he was doing. Perhaps he just robbed a bank and was looking for a companion to join him on a journey to hell?

All in all, the trip around the block took what seemed like forever as this crash-scene-waiting-to-happen unfolded in slow motion. There was no time to access ride comfort, interior trim, control layout or anything else about this literal slingshot. It was 60 seconds of hang-on-to-your-ass-over-the-top-show-off-your-latest-toy speed-o-mania-slam-the-brakes-throw-the-frame-into-90-turns adrenaline pumping fun.

Once safely parked in the garage, and after making use of the sick bag stashed in the passenger side cubby, Captain Insano explained the suspension is bone stock but the 2.4 GM 4 banger had been moded with a few goodies he hopes will escape the attention of enviro-nazis residing in Sacramento.

Even without the unnamed mods, the Slinger must be fast. I can say this one brakes hard, corners fast, doesn't mind being tossed about hither and yon - and probably gets decent fuel eco. Not that THAT matters to speed freaking whack-a-doodles.

I recommend stay away. This thing is fast right out of the box - and being a car guy - will only drive you to mod, tweak, tune, experiment, and find endless ways to spend "extra" cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts